Post-Game Talk: Cli(e)nched

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Canucks were under siege all series except 1 game. You remove that first game where he was awful and he's been the best goalie of the playoffs for me.

Look at some of the highway robbery he committed tonight. His stop on kulak. His stop on drai just amazing stuff skinner isn't capable of.

Im not saying trade for him or something but Vancouver can churn out good goalies like an assembly line.
One thing I'll say is that I think the Oilers (again) found some weaknesses as the series progressed. They did it to Korpisalo and Markstrom and they did it again here imo.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Pickard never played himself out of the job. He should be starting against Dallas, not Skinner.
Pickard played great in game 5. I do not disagree about game 6 as Skinner was clearly struggling. The Oilers held the Canucks to 15 shots on net in game 5 and ran them out of the home Rogers rink.

The last two games, the Oilers would have won with either guy in net. That said, I’d still be wary of Skinner. Any signs of an off night, he needs to get pulled and Pickard put in. Can’t f*** around in the WCF.

SnooPac

Sep 13, 2008
It may have been posted, but Jack Michaels posted the final seconds of the game with his voice overlayed.
I replied with the call 10s before that video started, with Jack Michaels' "PULSATING" call.

@OfCorsiDid I couldn't post just the audio to twitter, so I had to make a "video". I did that by taking your image and using it as a still for the video...
Hope that's OK.

MessierThanThou

Dec 10, 2010
Oil Country
Pickard played great in game 5. I do not disagree about game 6 as Skinner was clearly struggling. The Oilers held the Canucks to 15 shots on net in game 5 and ran them out of the home Rogers rink.

The last two games, the Oilers would have won with either guy in net. That said, I’d still be wary of Skinner. Any signs of an off night, he needs to get pulled and Pickard put in. Can’t f*** around in the WCF.

I wouldn't even take a chance on Skinner for game 1. The Stars are stacked. Pickard is much more of a sure bet in goal.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Came in here to congrats the oilers

Unlike some salty nucks fans

I accept that the Oilers are simply a better and more experienced team

Good luck rest of the season
Thanks man, see you next year! Hope Boeser makes a full recovery!

I wouldn't even take a chance on Skinner for game 1. The Stars are stacked. Pickard is much more of a sure bet in goal.
Isn’t the only win against Dallas this year come with Pickard in net?

Reactions: McDoused

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Maybe run Skinner 3 starts (depending on performance) and give Pickard a start on the fourth. He’s shown to be a capable, reliable backup and the team plays hard for him. He’s definitely the more athletic of the two.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
I’m admittedly having a hard time looking past that play. Sure overall he’s been decent. But that could have been a series ending play. You just don’t do that

Hopefully he learns. Going to take a lot for him to come back into my good books. Some points would help….
That play drove me nuts. Facts are he has been solid defensively and hasn’t been on the ice for an ES goal against until game 5 of this series. If they are to beat Dallas- they need McLeod shutting down Johnson

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Props to Knobby in that series

Splitting Nurse and Ceci payed off

Both players were were excellent this game. Nurse deserved every ounce of criticism he got but he was excellent tonite. So was Ceci

Edit: The props go to Holland and Bettman. I was told 100% Holland makes the line decisions and Bettman determines every Oiler game.

foshizzle

Feb 1, 2007
Carrick was not great when he first got here, but he energized the bottom 6 in a massive way when put back in these last few games. You see why they say absolutely every single guy counts in the playoffs.
Rishaug pointed out that the game Carrick went back in - at the end of that game- he went straight to Soucy and was talking to him and stalking him around the ice….

He went onto say that whenever Carrick hit somebody- he have them the stink eye after. Oddly, Vancouver tamed down the hitting with him playing.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
Oilers have been excellent defensively instead of Stu. Stuart Skinner himself has been average but that’s all we need as long as we keep playing like this in front of him defensively.

As long as he doesn’t lose us games outright that’s all we can ask for. He will never steal us one which is a shame.

Even though the 1-0 win over LA was a very good defensive game, you could argue he stole that one. LA had a decent amount of high danger chances from what I recall (Moneypuck showing 3.06 expected goals for LA that game), and IMO 1-0 shutouts are still a goalie steal in this occasional luck-puck-f***-pinball game of hockey

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
So play Pickard to avoid the sweep? The Stars are too good for us to keep gambling on Skinner.
They have to get to Oettinger at the other end. As I said in the WCF pre-series thread, Dallas is winning more on the road than home. Get into town, watch some game tape. Hypnotize Skinner into thinking he’s Brodeur and come home with at least a split. Through 13 games, Oettinger has had only three sub .900 games. That’s the biggest challenge in my opinion.

Whether it’s Pickard or Skinner, they’re at a big disadvantage vs Oettinger. No matter who is in, the entire team needs to be 100% committed to team defense.

MessierThanThou

Dec 10, 2010
Oil Country
They have to get to Oettinger at the other end. As I said in the WCF pre-series thread, Dallas is winning more on the road than home. Get into town, watch some game tape. Hypnotize Skinner into thinking he’s Brodeur and come home with at least a split. Through 13 games, Oettinger has had only three sub .900 games. That’s the biggest challenge in my opinion.

Whether it’s Pickard or Skinner, they’re at a big disadvantage vs Oettinger. No matter who is in, the entire team needs to be 100% committed to team defense.

I don't know, Pickard was playing really good in those two games. He deserves a longer look. We've seen more than enough of Skinner.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Holy shit, didn’t even realize this. That was 100% going in on Stu as well :laugh: wow we got lucky with that one
Meh. Stu knew it was coming and butterflied appropriately.

Worst home made cup I’ve ever seen. Did he make it out of an empty peanut butter jar? What is the price of aluminum foil too high to use anything bigger?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad