Best Run Franchises #1

Who is the best run Franchise

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

SHANNYPLAN

Nov 24, 2016
As much as I’d love to vote for the leafs (who are not far off at all imo) this is Tampa until proven otherwise

Reactions: dukeofjive

AlphaCatalyst

Elite Fan
Jun 27, 2007
Calgary
It's amazing what a competent owner can do.

Tampa went from easily one of the worst run organizations in 2008 with OK Hockey, to Jeff Vinik in 2010 and easily one of the best run and based on the results of this poll so far the best run.

Vinik is not just about on the ice success but the way he has taken to changing the entire community around the arena and Tampa as a whole. The man will be a legend for this organisation for years to come.

PinkFly

Oct 30, 2017
People are accidently hitting Tampa Bay instead of Toronto. You should redo number 1 with only Toronto and Tampa Bay.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
It's the Jets - hands down. Least to work with (as far as things working against them: an inherited horrible Atlanta team, difficulty attracting free agents, no trade lists, small building, etc.), yet they are at or near the top of the Stanley Cup list this season... and will be for the foreseeable future.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Nashville IMO, even if they haven't won the Cup yet.

If you're looking strictly at hockey moves, Tampa is probably the best recent example, but they do have the added benefit of no state income tax, and had to go the route of bottoming out to get two franchise players to build around (Stamkos and Hedman), which is a similar story to Pittsburgh. As great of a job as they've done at filling out their roster, when you get something like that with franchise players in consecutive years, it can completely turn your franchise's fortunes around, and in Pittsburgh's case, it did a complete 180 on their reputation.

It's been a slow burn for Nashville for sure, but that can be expected with an expansion team. They didn't catch lightning in a bottle in an early season like the Panthers or Knights, but they stuck through the growing pains with the same GM that has been there for 20 years to build a franchise that has been competitive for the last 15 years, and one of the best and most reliable franchises very recently. They've done so while establishing an identity and culture you can immediately identify with the team regardless of whether they've moved on from their franchise's best players like Weber and Suter, and they've built up a rabid fanbase in a place you wouldn't really expect to take off like it did, slowly working their way up the cap space chain as they can afford to.

You look at their draft history, and the only potential franchise guy (identified off the bat in their draft year) there was Seth Jones, and they traded him before he really broke out. Upshall, Legwand and obviously Suter were higher picks that contributed (Suter obviously to a huge degree), but the rest of that team was more or less built with shrewd signings/trades/draft picks.

Last edited:

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Has got to be Tampa....I thought they lucked out a bit in their competitive years (even though they were a competitive team they ended up picking high in the draft within their window) but their drafting prowess/cap management has been impeccable.

I still think the NHL has to address the salary cap differential between low-income tax states and other destinations either way though.

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
Has got to be Tampa....I thought they lucked out a bit in their competitive years (even though they were a competitive team they ended up picking high in the draft within their window) but their drafting prowess/cap management has been impeccable.

I still think the NHL has to address the salary cap differential between low-income tax states and other destinations either way though.

Or perhaps other places should vote in government that will lower taxes.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
This would be a hard one to answer without knowing all the behind the scenes stuff. Best owners, best scouting staff, best training facility, best medical staff, best arena to play in, do they consistently sell out, do they make the playoffs, etc., etc. All the organizational things I would look at if I was signing with a team.

My first thought was Pittsburgh because I know they don't share the arena and their accommodations there are top notch. They also just moved into a new practice facility that is supposed to be fantastic.

I would assume the Oilers have a similar setup when it comes to the perk type stuff but the staff is a bit spotty......

I'm gonna vote Pittsburgh, with the Bruins, Sharks and Bolts being a close second.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
Or perhaps other places should vote in government that will lower taxes.

I mean we could debate the circumstances of this forever. Perhaps there shouldn't be such a hard salary cap in the first place. But because there is, and the concept is some fictitious (or not) concept of parity, then I am of the opinion you should address the inherent discrepancies as it pertains to income tax.

libertarian

Jul 27, 2017
Middle Earth
I'd have to go with the Nashville and TB. Both organizations not only built great on ice product but truly grew hockey in non traditional markets. HM to LA, Anaheim and Dallas.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I'd have to go with the Nashville and TB. Both organizations not only built great on ice product but truly grew hockey in non traditional markets. HM to LA, Anaheim and Dallas.
That’s an excellent point about growing hockey in non traditional markets. It’s eady to have financial success and strong attendance in traditional hockey markets but it takes great management to sell the game in markets where it’s not as well known.

Reactions: libertarian

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I'm not sure how much better a franchise can be run than Pittsburgh. 3 Stanley Cups, 4 finals appearances, and haven't missed the playoffs since 2005-06 (which I believe is the longest streak now).

I don't think they should be discounted just because they drafted Crosby and Malkin. Edmonton drafted McDavid, but we've seen how that doesn't automatically translate into Cups and finals appearances and automatic playoff berths.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I'm not sure how much better a franchise can be run than Pittsburgh. 3 Stanley Cups, 4 finals appearances, and haven't missed the playoffs since 2005-06 (which I believe is the longest streak now).

I don't think they should be discounted just because they drafted Crosby and Malkin. Edmonton drafted McDavid, but we've seen how that doesn't automatically translate into Cups and finals appearances and automatic playoff berths.

I think its Tampa lately. Though some of that has a lot to do with geography.

webdev

Nov 3, 2017
Tampa? best run franchise won a cup and three years later was selling tickets at 7/11 for $8 if you bought a slushy? same team that barley make a profit to this day? Tampa is a half decade without playoffs from being moved.

Its Preds and it not remotely close.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad