• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
This isn't about how the players do on the ice, or what coaching decisions are made, this is purely about GM, Presidents and Ownership ability. Moves made, both in player personal (Trades/FAs/Drafting) and business decisions.

Each Poll will be open for 24 hours.

Last edited:

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Toronto because ever since they hired Brendan Shanahan as team President things have gone up and before anyone mentions it the only luck under him was winning the lottery to get Auston Matthews, which he had no control over.

Reactions: SHANNYPLAN

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
I'd say Tampa Bay is #1, unless Yzerman stepping down as GM changes things.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I was going to say Pittsburgh but having been fortunate enough to draft Crosby and Malkin gives them an unfair advantage.
Nonetheless I think their management has been strong.
I went with TBay as I’m basing it on longer term success even if no Cups have recently been won. Nashville, Pitts and San Jose should also be in the running as their management groups have iced teams with decent chances to win a Cup year after year.
Vegas’ success is too short term for me.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Toronto because ever since they hired Brendan Shanahan as team President things have gone up and before anyone mentions it the only luck under him was winning the lottery to get Auston Matthews, which he had no control over.
Too soon. I would never include a team that has not at least had a decent playoff run.

Reactions: Peggy

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
I think a lot more goes into "best run" than just team success. That's certainly the dominant factor, but other aspects also have to be considered.

How much has the team done for the community?
Have they grown hockey in their region if it's not already a staple there?
Do players and other staff enjoy being a part of the franchise?
What do the fans think (both die-hard and casual)?

It's also not a quick, sudden change - these types of things take years, sometimes decades to change and are very slow-moving.

Personally, Tampa fits all of these, at least as far as I can tell. They get my vote.

Toronto's headed in the right direction and will probably be there soon. I think Florida does a lot right, but their location relative to the population centers hurts them a bit. If Dallas can ever get any consistency with success on the ice, they should absolutely be in the conversation. Vegas had an incredible first year from top to bottom, but I'd like to see them maintain that before I consider them the best-run franchise.

Reactions: Midnight Judges

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Too soon. I would never include a team that has not at least had a decent playoff run.

I'd get more specific and say they're still building their top end cap structure and haven't had time to show they can continue to draft and develop well while finishing high in the standings. What Toronto has going so far for them is they nailed the rebuild and built a team that should continue to make the playoffs for the next 5+ years. Winnipeg would be in this category too, but now comes the hard part of continuing to build and maintain while at the top of the standings, where Tampa and Nashville already excel.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
I was going to say Pittsburgh but having been fortunate enough to draft Crosby and Malkin gives them an unfair advantage.
Nonetheless I think their management has been strong.
I went with TBay as I’m basing it on longer term success even if no Cups have recently been won. Nashville, Pitts and San Jose should also be in the running as their management groups have iced teams with decent chances to win a Cup year after year.
Vegas’ success is too short term for me.
Pittsburgh should be up there for sure. As Edmonton is showing a lot more goes into a successful team than just drafting a generational talent. Pens also have the active playoff streak record in both the NHL and AHL at 12 and 16 seasons respectively.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
The OP said it's not about performance on the ice. It's down to ownership ability and the GM. Since the Leafs are owned by Bell and Rogers by default I can mention Shanahan since he is the one in charge as President and he previously hired Lamoriello as the GM and Dubas as the current GM.

Critical13

Fear is the mind-killer.
Feb 25, 2017
Sitting at a desk.
I’m taking Nashville. They took a mediocre core and turned it into something awesome. They did it in a non hockey market too, and now they have a great fan base.

Tampa is up there two but I do question how much of ther success is on the back of drafting Hedman and Stamkos. A lot of luck drafting high in those years.

San Jose is up there too. Winnipeg and St Louis round out the top 5.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I'd get more specific and say they're still building their top end cap structure and haven't had time to show they can continue to draft and develop well while finishing high in the standings. What Toronto has going so far for them is they nailed the rebuild and built a team that should continue to make the playoffs for the next 5+ years. Winnipeg would be in this category too, but now comes the hard part of continuing to build and maintain while at the top of the standings, where Tampa and Nashville already excel.
Agreed. I look for long term success.
For example, if you look back at when the Canucks were in the SCF in 2011, Pitts, San Jose, Nashville and of course Boston were all top teams and they remain so 7 years later. That’s quite an accomplishment.
I also like LAs management even though the team isn’t one of the top ones anymore. I think they’ve done a remarkable job over the years.
Vegas, Winnipeg andToronto are in the up and coming group but need more post season success.
Up to this past couple of years I probably would have had Ottawa in the top group as well as a management team that has hit above their weight given how little they spend and how they haven’t had high draft picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad