Best Remaining UFA Forward To Sign

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
I think we are likely done.

Our cap space next year needs to be a consideration. Unless we are getting someone to come in on a 1 year deal, we have to be careful. Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Beaulieu, Tinordi, and Bournival are all playing on expiring contracts. With only minimal cap space freeing up next year in Weaver, Budaj, and Malholtra.

We'll maintain likely 4 million in cap space after re-signing Eller and Subban, and maybe use it to make another big move at the deadline.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
I'd take Troy Bodie as a 13th forward, he's willing to fight and he's a decent player. With Prust often injured he could be a decent guy to fill in a few games.

I'm not interested in any top 9 forwards that are UFA, I think we need to be looking at trades to improve our winger situation.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
I would "kick the tires" on Ville Leino. I know he sucked in BUF but he could be a 3rd liner and could pinch hit on the top 2 if needed.

Also, I would like to pick up a tough defensemen as a 7th.

Would that not be Tinordi?

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
There's one thing we have to do though; sign a 7th d-man. I refuse to believe the management is keen on sitting a kid in the pressbox.

Whether we can find better than Bouillon for that role is another question.

zzoo

Mar 9, 2004
I prefer to give a change to the young.

Would you take Heatley at $1-2M ?

rockjngo

Oct 31, 2011
Steve Ott could be a good addition to the 3rd or 4th line.

Prust-Ott-Bournival

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
David Pagnotta ‏@TheFourthPeriod · 18m
David Legwand, Lee Stempniak, Tomas Vokoun, Steve Ott among those expected to make decisions today.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
I'd take Troy Bodie as a 13th forward, he's willing to fight and he's a decent player. With Prust often injured he could be a decent guy to fill in a few games.

I'm not interested in any top 9 forwards that are UFA, I think we need to be looking at trades to improve our winger situation.

A mole for Lieweke. No way.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008

Prust-Ott-Bournival

I doubt Ott signs anywhere to play 4th line.

I would sign him and trade Bourque...that is assuming you can move Bourque or at least get it done without having a bigger than 3.3 mil cap hit(having to eat some of Bourque's on top of Ott's...).

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
David Pagnotta ‏@TheFourthPeriod · 18m
David Legwand, Lee Stempniak, Tomas Vokoun, Steve Ott among those expected to make decisions today.

Forgot about Steve Ott... interesting guy on a 3rd line, leadership role. Can chip in offensively too.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
For those wondering about him...

Andy Strickland ‏@andystrickland 2m
Lee Stempniak appears in no rush to sign....still talking to 5-6 teams #NHL

BigHabs

Aug 3, 2009
I would sign Ott or Winnik IMO.

Winnik is a passer and also aggressive. Work with Eller and Bouque who are both shooters.

Or Ott can chip in but plays the whole ice and hits a lot. He can agitate and fight if needed.

I think it would round out the entire group perfectly Ott maybe a little more. Give us more bodies that like to play that rugged hitting game.

Pacioretty Desharnais Gallagher
Galchenyuk Plekanec Parenteau
Ott Eller Bourque
Bournival Malhotra Weise

Moen / Prust

LePoche69

Jul 15, 2004
Montreal
I know it is fun to guess which signing could happen, but the reality is that Habs have allready 13 NHL forwards to start the season (without Sekac and co.), and are willing to audition a kid if there is an injury during camp, which is likely to happen.

Then, if the kids aren't ready, it will still be time to see what's left on the UFA or trade markets.

Last year it was Bournival and Tinordi who started the year in Montreal. Bournival had the job done while Tinordi needed more seasonning.

My guess is Bergevin will want to have 1 new kid on the D squad and 1 new kid as a forward every year. Then adjust when/if one or both of those kids doesn't pan out.

It's a nice way to let the core developp and perform while bringing new blood to always be able to fit the cap and move forward.

gusfring

Jul 4, 2006
I know it is fun to guess which signing could happen, but the reality is that Habs have allready 13 NHL forwards to start the season (without Sekac and co.), and are willing to audition a kid if there is an injury during camp, which is likely to happen.

Then, if the kids aren't ready, it will still be time to see what's left on the UFA or trade markets.

Last year it was Bournival and Tinordi who started the year in Montreal. Bournival had the job done while Tinordi needed more seasonning.

My guess is Bergevin will want to have 1 new kid on the D squad and 1 new kid as a forward every year. Then adjust when/if one or both of those kids doesn't pan out.

It's a nice way to let the core developp and perform while bringing new blood to always be able to fit the cap and move forward.

I guess the issue is whether you think the 13 FW's we have are good enough to take the next step.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013

Prust-Ott-Bournival

The problem with guys like Ott, Prust, Moen, Tucker, Clarkson, and Clowe is that they play such a hard nosed style that they don't have much left in their early 30s. Ott is 32 and on a major production decline.

2008-09 Dallas Stars NHL 64 19 27 46 135 3 -- -- -- -- --
2009-10 Dallas Stars NHL 73 22 14 36 153 -14 -- -- -- -- --
2010-11 Dallas Stars NHL 82 12 20 32 183 -9 -- -- -- -- --
2011-12 Dallas Stars NHL 74 11 28 39 156 5 -- -- -- -- --
2012-13 Buffalo Sabres NHL 48 9 15 24 93 3 -- -- -- -- --
2013-14 Buffalo Sabres NHL 59 9 11 20 55 -26 -- -- -- -- --
2013-14 St. Louis Blues NHL 23 0 3 3 37 -12 6 0 2 2 14

LePoche69

Jul 15, 2004
Montreal
I guess the issue is whether you think the 13 FW's we have are good enough to take the next step.

Personnaly, and I may be wrong, I don't think the next step will have to pass by who can be sign. The next step will be reached by how the core of these 13 forwards developp. There is still lots of room for many of them to maximize their talent, get experience, and develop their leadership potential.

Any signing would have been to temporary fill the gaps whithin this reality and not necessarily make it closer to reaching full potential. Now if we're talking about trading to add a core piece to this core (like an Evender Kane could be), it's another story.

Adding Malhotra is a good example. It doesn't help the core to reach its potential. But it fills a gap since nobody in the core is able to do this job for now. Same for Gilbert. I'm pretty sure it will be time for players like Bennett, Dietz and co. to take his place once his contract is over, and those players will be part of the real core with which you want to go further.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad