Best Remaining UFA Forward To Sign

Uber Coca

Apr 23, 2003
Montreal
Contrary to what you seem to think, players sometimes have a nice resurgence with a change of team/atmosphere. Those guys have had past success, low risk, high reward gamble.

I hear you, but I'd prefer if Bergevin left some salary available, just in case, and give the prospects the chance to fight for the last spot.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
I hear you, but I'd prefer if Bergevin left some salary available, just in case, and give the prospects the chance to fight for the last spot.

And if none of them prove to be ready, what do you do? Give once again a draft pick or assets to get something? When every single team knows you're desperate and expects you at the corner?

We should still get a RW, and then, make needed moves if a rookie comes to camp ready to have an impact.

Deluded Puck

Jun 17, 2013
London, UK
I was going to say no to Setoguchi, but found out that he's only 27! Bizarre.

We should take a chance on him, his stock is lower than it ever was and he still has speed.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
At this point, I think I'm going after Stempniak or Setoguchi for the 3rd line. I'd rather just have a full lineup when training camp comes, and then, you deal Bourque if he doesn't look ready and/or if a rookie outplays him.

I still feel like we have a hole on our top-9, and a guy like Stempniak or Setoguchi, while not overly productive, would probably sign on 1 year deals for not too much, and would be a good complement to Eller and Bourque.

I agree, would rather have too many bodies than not enough...easier to trade away players than have to spend assets to add...

bigtimehockeyfan999*

I hope see some kids get a call. theres nothing but scraps left....we've got lots of depth...we need more top end particularily at centre..but if galchenyuk becomes the guy, and I believe he will...then we need high skilled winger....trade route or patience with our drafting, or both would work...but theres nothing left here this year.

Uber Coca

Apr 23, 2003
Montreal
And if none of them prove to be ready, what do you do? Give once again a draft pick or assets to get something? When every single team knows you're desperate and expects you at the corner?

We should still get a RW, and then, make needed moves if a rookie comes to camp ready to have an impact.

Long summer... there are still Eller and Subban to be signed. Leaving cap space means flexibility. Bergevin could also be looking at trading.

Seriously, I don't get the hype for signing washed-up players.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
I hope see some kids get a call. theres nothing but scraps left....we've got lots of depth...we need more top end particularily at centre..but if galchenyuk becomes the guy, and I believe he will...then we need high skilled winger....trade route or patience with our drafting, or both would work...but theres nothing left here this year.

The thing with the "let a free spot for a kid" strategy, is this; if none are ready, you're giving a spot to a guy who's not ready.

We're still missing a RW. I expect Bergevin to realize this and act accordingly. Even if it's not an ideal solution, a guy like Stempniak or Setoguchi DOES make our 3rd line better.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Long summer... there are still Eller and Subban to be signed. Leaving cap space means flexibility. Bergevin could also be looking at trading.

Seriously, I don't get the hype for signing washed-up player.

I'd rather get 30 points players on the 3rd line (who have already been 50 points players), than giving up assets to fill a hole in your roster, by creating another.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
I like Santorelli and Alfredsson, don't think either ever mentioned going to MTL in rumours.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
I like Stempniak, and would try Booth or Setoguchi or anyone, really.

The person I'd prefer the most is Steve Ott to be honest, he's going to be great for our lockerroom and faceoffs. Him and Malhotra = we'll never worry about defensive faceoffs again.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
I'm OK with not signing anyone, but if we do, I wouldn't mind a guy like Whitney or Morrow for some veteran winger depth.

Outside of those two...Ott, Santorelli and Penner are I guess the most interesting for me.

All would have to be cheap 1 year deals though.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004

Worse case scenario is 2 of those 4 guys fighting for last two top 9 winger spots : Prust, Bournival, Weise, Bourque.

I doubt that we're ever desperate, even with injuries and worse case scenario.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
I was going to say no to Setoguchi, but found out that he's only 27! Bizarre.

We should take a chance on him, his stock is lower than it ever was and he still has speed.

Anyone can tell me what happened to him ? What's the problem with him ?

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Anyone can tell me what happened to him ? What's the problem with him ?

He's not a very good player. He's fast, but doesn't have a great shot and no hockey IQ. Replacement level top-9 at the moment, I'd rather stick Cakes or Ghetto in that slot.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
He's not a very good player. He's fast, but doesn't have a great shot and no hockey IQ. Replacement level top-9 at the moment, I'd rather stick Cakes or Ghetto in that slot.

But still, he was scoring 30 goals a few years ago, simply a product of Big Joe a la Cheechoo ?

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
But still, he was scoring 30 goals a few years ago, simply a product of Big Joe a la Cheechoo ?

Maybe not a "product" but definitely helped. The Sharks knew he wasn't as good as his numbers made him out to be, hence why they moved him when his value was high for Brent Burns.

gusfring

Jul 4, 2006
I would "kick the tires" on Ville Leino. I know he sucked in BUF but he could be a 3rd liner and could pinch hit on the top 2 if needed.

Also, I would like to pick up a tough defensemen as a 7th.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
I would "kick the tires" on Ville Leino. I know he sucked in BUF but he could be a 3rd liner and could pinch hit on the top 2 if needed.

Would pick up a tough d-man. Would stay far from Leino. No goal in 59 games is almost Gomez territory... In fact I think it's worst.

To me, the most interesting option remains Stempniak.

angry pirate

Feb 9, 2009
If he's getting NHL offers I doubt he'd be willing to come to Montreal. Once Eller is signed it looks like we have our 14 forwards. Mueller would likely have to accept that he's competing for a spot in camp and be willing to report to Hamilton if he didn't win.

I would assume he'd much rather report to a team that has a bit more roster room for him.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

Leino has never been a great player. He parlayed a lucky season in Philly into a dumb contract. He isn't very good.

teh doors

ice hockey fan
Nov 15, 2010
If he still has the hair offer him a 750K deal or a camp try out

edit: Mueller, **** Ville Leino laughing stock of the NHL!

Last edited:

Big Lurk

Aug 2, 2013
Would pick up a tough d-man. Would stay far from Leino. No goal in 59 games is almost Gomez territory... In fact I think it's worst.

To me, the most interesting option remains Stempniak.

Bourque Thomas Nygren 2nd 2016 for E. Kane

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad