Best Remaining UFA Forward To Sign

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
He's 33... not really that old.

He was old at 28. Dude cannot skate, I think that's his main problem. He can score 50 if he's on a bad team playing no defense or riding shotgun to Thornton on an excellent team tho. I would rather have Bourque's speed if it's a question of him or Bourque. I could be wrong again... don't know. Seems to me Heatley would be an awful possession player. I can't imagine Heatley winning a puck or going hard to the net against LA. I think he did that in this year's playoffs tho, so who knows..all I know is that we are in good hands with our scouting and pro scouting - thank god.

JamieLagenbrunner

Jun 2, 2014
Dany Heatley, the slow-poke? I'll pass. I'd rather get someone in our top 6 through trades. Nothing really available in free agency now.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Leafs signed Santorelli, 1 year/1.5M. Good deal, although I don't know if he can repeat what he did last year with VAN. Could be another good bargain guy for them like Raymond or McClement.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
No, I see him as more of a passer and Bourque a shooter. He's a better possession player with more grit than Bourque. Bourque is really a second line right winger imo (tho maybe a poor one cuz of his effort, agility, ?). Winnik is a third liner (if that) BECAUSE of his effort. I wouldn't mind Winnik over Moen - he'd be great on the fourth line. But he's probably too expensive or the Ducks would have done that.

I was hoping he would be a versatile 3rd liner, I know he's not great but our top 9 is really aphysical even if we are bigger. I was hoping to get some grit in the top 9, if you see him only as a replacement for moen on the 4th, we are not making the top 9 any harder to play against ( what about possibly prust on the third despite being better suited on the 4th) and a fourth of moen-winnik ( I know he plays both wing and center)-weise of if manny is around winnik-malhotra-weise and moen is the odd man out ?

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Leafs signed Santorelli, 1 year/1.5M. Good deal, although I don't know if he can repeat what he did last year with VAN. Could be another good bargain guy for them like Raymond or McClement.

dud moves...you'd think the playoff off the rails would cause a shake up..instead,old scraps....

I like kOMOROV,but he wasn't goona get leafs to playoffs last year....or Santorelli or Robidas

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
dud moves...you'd think the playoff off the rails would cause a shake up..instead,old scraps....

I like kOMOROV,but he wasn't goona get leafs to playoffs last year....or Santorelli or Robidas

Santorelli isn't a bad signing...but their problems are deeper than that. Started with the Calrkson signing and poor drafting.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC

Signing big money players in a useless attempt to turn a bad team into a contender is exactly what the Leafs should not be doing.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
I was hoping he would be a versatile 3rd liner, I know he's not great but our top 9 is really aphysical even if we are bigger. I was hoping to get some grit in the top 9, if you see him only as a replacement for moen on the 4th, we are not making the top 9 any harder to play against ( what about possibly prust on the third despite being better suited on the 4th) and a fourth of moen-winnik ( I know he plays both wing and center)-weise of if manny is around winnik-malhotra-weise and moen is the odd man out ?

Don't quote me, but I think the Ducks were scratching Winnik a bit last season. And I just checked his possession numbers and they tumbled last year.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Signing big money players in a useless attempt to turn a bad team into a contender is exactly what the Leafs should not be doing.

lol..ya well bringing in those 3 gets them no better than last yr....``just treading water

will read this again this yr....Toronto Maple Leafs out of playoff contention

forget a contender..they need to learn how to make playoffs first.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
lol..ya well bring in those 3 gets them no better than last yr....

Probably, but it seems like at least now they seem to recognize that instead of signing the David Clarksons of the UFA world to ludicrous contracts.

Contenders are never built on July 1st. The Leafs have picked up some decent depth that will either help them for a few years at not-too-crazy prices (Robidas, Komarov, Polak) or who will help them for next year and give their youngsters some time to grow (Santorelli, Kontiola).

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
lol..ya well bringing in those 3 gets them no better than last yr....``just treading water

forget a contender..they need to learn how to make playoffs first.

They should be tanking to get The Next One. Fools. I bet Toronto fans would forgive them if they tanked 2-3 years in a row to rebuild.

Analyzer*

Setoguchi is left. 1 year at 1 mill, but I'd rather trade for another RH RW

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Probably, but it seems like at least now they seem to recognize that instead of signing the David Clarksons of the UFA world to ludicrous contracts.

Contenders are never built on July 1st. The Leafs have picked up some decent depth that will either help them for a few years at not-too-crazy prices (Robidas, Komarov, Polak) or who will help them for next year and give their youngsters some time to grow (Santorelli, Kontiola).

lol ya sure, Komorov at 3 mill is a dumb contract......

I say Nonis and Carlyle get fired this season,not here next yr.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Brouwer is probably available for trade with Washington hugging the cap and having too many guys on the right side.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011
Don't quote me, but I think the Ducks were scratching Winnik a bit last season. And I just checked his possession numbers and they tumbled last year.

yeah he didnt play much in the playoffs, by his role seemed to be take over by smith-pelly or another player whom I should know but I'm drawing a blank on.

sandysan

Dec 7, 2011

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad