Best player getting no hype

Sensators

Sep 15, 2009
I'll say Huberdeau, been impressed each time i've seen him this year. Kopitar as well, that team cannot score a goal if he's not in on it and he's still an elite shutdown man.

Reactions: Cats2TheCup

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Not the best player, but players that have been doing well that i dont think people think of right away....Gio, Murray Duchene, Huberdeau, Dadonov, Radulov, Bailey, Parise and Eakin

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
From the Rangers, Zibanejad is on his way to being a 1C, he’s still young at 25 too (feels like he’s older)

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
US4lq0C.gif
Werenski looks like he was brought down by an invisible lasso there lol.

member 298589

If we are talking about literally zero hype, it has to be Sean Monahan. Right? Barkov, Gaudreau, etc at least get a little. This guy literally gets nothing. He has 33 points in 27 games. I picked him in the 10th round in my hockey pool because people never even think of his name - even when it is literally written on the top of a list in front of their faces.

gtrower

Feb 10, 2016
maybe check that he has more secondary assists than any other player in the NHL from 2013-14 to 2017-18

Doesn’t he have the most assists period since entering the league? Where is he on the primary assists list in the span you mentioned?

Backstrom deserves to - at a minimum - have several Selke finalists under his belt. Always one of the better defensive centers as well.

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Who do you think is performing at an elite level this year but is passing under the radar (be it on this site, the media, award discussion etc.)

I'm gonna start with a homer vote and say Lundqvist who is a guerilla force destroying tanks. He's been the best he's been in years this year and should really be mentioned in early vezina discussions. I think his team's situation will prevent that, but it shouldn't

Jack Eichel: Top ten in scoring, is elevating his teammates and has taken his team by the scruff of the neck this year. I watch a lot of Sabres games each year and he was always taking over shifts, but he's found a new level this year and has risen to the challenge of being captain. To be fair he has been talked about a bit on these boards due to Buffalo's recent streak but if the Sabres make the playoffs he's a legitimate Hart candidate

Matt Dumba: I've always liked him but he's an O-zone beast this year. He's still prone to making an occasional gaffe in his own zone but he's coming along nicely as a two way D. If he finishes strong, there's a good chance he makes his way into Norris talk, although he probably won't be nominated. Yet he hardly gets a mention (outside of the trade and FA board)

What say you all?

Lundqvist:laugh::laugh::laugh:
19th in GAA
13th in save %
:facepalm:

Reactions: Cellee

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Sportsnet ranked Gaudreau at 31 or 32... hilarious

People around here have never appreciated this guy like they should.

sadpanda

May 19, 2016
Stockholm
Some good mentions already. I believe a lot of european players are getting too little hype (some get too much)

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
HUBERDEAU!

The panthers whole top six is underrated. Trocheck if he wasn’t hurt too and of course dadonov. yandle even....

But yeah, jack gets support on here however Canadian media is a different story although that’s improved now so no complaints about him.

I’d say also: (some of these guys get hype it not enough due to how good they either have been to regularly have been)

ATKINSON like guy said but Panarin is consistently a top point guy since coming in the league and you can’t tell me he hasn’t helped Atkinson’s game too.

TKACHUKS both....

DUMBA/CHABOT

DUCHENE (I’m not a fan of him in anyway but still, speaking of duchene)

STONE (I am a fan and he’s always underrated)

GIROUX (although he got it in the past)

POINT (starting to change)

LEE/BAILEY all I heard was products of Tavares but.....?)

OVECHKIN (I’m serious, my god he has 20 goals in 27 games) and this was after a long cup run where including playoffs he scored 63 goals last year. I mean fat his age after playing how he has and he still isn’t talked about as a top 3 or even 5 and sometimes in extreme cases a top ten player!? Ridiculous! He’s not slowing down and you’d think the motivation may go away after winning the cup but no.....

LANDESKOG (because the other two get most of the credit and rightfully so but he ain’t no slouch)

KESSEL (his whole career has been great but he’s just a guy always near the top and we collectively go meh) just his stereotype or stigma he’s developed over time it seems.

There are probably more but this is getting long.

I used to think and still to to an extent Brodin of the wild and Braun of the sharks were underrated, as is Ellis of the preds. A lot of these three are because they play in the west late games and aren’t exactly Norris or high offensive
Guys (elite offensive anyway) and the Hockey always have either have hits, a great plus minus or stay at home credentials that make them awesome dmen who get no love from being in the shadow of other star dmen on those teams.

I also always found marner and Reilly underrated but they’ve gotten tons of recognition due to their starts and of course being leafs which is good to see.

For goalies, well:....

Gibson (in net for the ducks he’s always one of the best goalies when healthy, so underrated)

Ullmark has been pretty underrated for the sabres this year for rookie goalies, same with Kings Peterson and Yotes Hill, all three goalie rookies have been great.

But the best three are rinne Anderson and one of Gibson dubnyk or Vasilevskiy when he returns.

Also I’m sorry but wheeler and sheifele should still be talked about norenfor wat they consistently do but Laine is always the guy due to goals, somewhat deserved too. I say somewhat because I still think those two deserve the nods more. For a complete game especially scheifele in that department of being complete and consistent.

Reactions: Cats2TheCup

LuckyBoeser

Oct 8, 2018
I feel like Barkov doesn't fit this title. He have gotten plenty of hype in my personal experiences.

LuckyBoeser

Oct 8, 2018
They changed how Toews is spelled eh?
Can you honesty call Toews overrated when the majority label him that? All I hear is him being overrated when Toews is the topic of a conversation. I have the same thoughts process behind the Barkov underrated train.

Reactions: izlez

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad