Best Hockey Stick

deeker*

I've had a Si-Core grip for 3 years and am going onto #4. But then again I shoot properly and treat it well.

enough with the "i shoot properly" b.s. You are just showing your ignorance. in a slapshot your blade is SUPPOSED to hit the ice to flex the stick. if you are not, then YOU are not shooting properly... you know what? I doubt you have even played on ice. rollerphag. Besides most of your wear wouldn't even come from shooting. quit trying to show off on the internet, you look stupid.

anyway, you guys are some TRUE suckers, really. I've seen it in every sport. You just got to have the best right? To bad I'll out shoot you, out handle you, and generally make you look like a Pejorative Slur with my $25 stick.

And then I'll snap your little $300 stick, and you'll cry like a poor little rich kid (because I know you didn't work for that stick), and you won't do anything about it.

Just kidding.

deeker*

And OP, if you aren't GOOD at hockey, which I'm pretty sure your not because your asking other people what sytick you should get, do yourself a favor and don't show up with an expensive stick. You are going to look like the lamest noob in the rink, and someone will probably steal your stick just on principle. To teach you a lesson.

Diamond Joe

Apr 7, 2007
Toronto, ON
enough with the "i shoot properly" b.s. You are just showing your ignorance. in a slapshot your blade is SUPPOSED to hit the ice to flex the stick. if you are not, then YOU are not shooting properly... you know what? I doubt you have even played on ice. rollerphag. Besides most of your wear wouldn't even come from shooting. quit trying to show off on the internet, you look stupid.

anyway, you guys are some TRUE suckers, really. I've seen it in every sport. You just got to have the best right? To bad I'll out shoot you, out handle you, and generally make you look like a Pejorative Slur with my $25 stick.

And then I'll snap your little $300 stick, and you'll cry like a poor little rich kid (because I know you didn't work for that stick), and you won't do anything about it.

Just kidding.

Yes, it is supposed to hit the ice to an extent. But in all my time playing hockey (17 of 21 years) since I went to school to shoot properly I haven't chewed the bottom of a stick. I can hit 88 MPH as well...so...you've got dick and I make good use of 1 piece composites.

deeker*

Yes, it is supposed to hit the ice to an extent. But in all my time playing hockey (17 of 21 years) since I went to school to shoot properly I haven't chewed the bottom of a stick. I can hit 88 MPH as well...so...you've got dick and I make good use of 1 piece composites.

so saying that this was true, that would only mean that you were shooting like a full blown booger eating Pejorative Slur before. I doubt you've gotten much better.

First of all if you are wearing through the your blade, then really, I don't know what to tell you. It's called keep tape on your stick.

Secondly, as I tried to explain to your thick skull, you would do more wear on the blade in other aspects of the game. You would spend far more time on the stick during handling, passing, and even skating without the puck.

In fact, the BIGGEST factor would be what kind of ice conditions you play on.

save your internet joe hockey lies, your not impressing the internets. I mean are you sure you didn't exagerate at least 1 mph?

btw, I slap the puck at 89 mph with a wood stick.

Diamond Joe

Apr 7, 2007
Toronto, ON
so saying that this was true, that would only mean that you were shooting like a full blown booger eating Pejorative Slur before. I doubt you've gotten much better.

First of all if you are wearing through the your blade, then really, I don't know what to tell you. It's called keep tape on your stick.

Secondly, as I tried to explain to your thick skull, you would do more wear on the blade in other aspects of the game. You would spend far more time on the stick during handling, passing, and even skating without the puck.

In fact, the BIGGEST factor would be what kind of ice conditions you play on.

save your internet joe hockey lies, your not impressing the internets. I mean are you sure you didn't exagerate at least 1 mph?

btw, I slap the puck at 89 mph with a wood stick.

Hey...uhh deeker, is it? I wouldn't worry about it, I was providing insight on a question regarding sticks, much like the other posters on this thread. I found the Si-Core to have good durability, I've had it for a couple years, it still performs nearly to the standard it always has...I also decided to input that I get good use out of it and I am not a plugger who uses a 1-piece b/c of the allure. Just take it down a notch b/c you yourself being a big man isn't impressing the "internets" either.

mooseOAK*

Yeah it's definitely a golden, that's for sure

You can just picture a little kid wearing tattered winter clothes with his sad little face peering through the sports store window at the composite sticks and the proprietor running out the front door with a broom to chase him away.

Diamond Joe

Apr 7, 2007
Toronto, ON
You can just picture a little kid wearing tattered winter clothes with his sad little face peering through the sports store window at the composite sticks and the proprietor running out the front door with a broom to chase him away.

Well it's ridiculous I mean there are so many children out there (some on my brother's houseleague team for ex.) that have these sticks, some of them senior shafts as well. One the kids can't shoot well enough, 2 they are not strong enough or heavy enough for it to even matter, 3 they can't appreciate them. It's good that there are less expensive ones on the market now than when they first came out but, it's sad.

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
Is that a torquing issue or just a round shaft thing? I thought it was too round of a shaft.
I want to say it was with the more rounded shafts they had the torquing problems. Its the only bad thing i can remember about innovative other than being hard to find.

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
Hey...uhh deeker, is it? I wouldn't worry about it, I was providing insight on a question regarding sticks, much like the other posters on this thread. I found the Si-Core to have good durability, I've had it for a couple years, it still performs nearly to the standard it always has...I also decided to input that I get good use out of it and I am not a plugger who uses a 1-piece b/c of the allure. Just take it down a notch b/c you yourself being a big man isn't impressing the "internets" either.
With the Si-Core sticks it seems to be hit and miss with those. I had a teammate that was breaking them left and right and another that had them last at least a season. Definitely made me wary abotu buying any OPS after I went through my last one.

Well it's ridiculous I mean there are so many children out there (some on my brother's houseleague team for ex.) that have these sticks, some of them senior shafts as well. One the kids can't shoot well enough, 2 they are not strong enough or heavy enough for it to even matter, 3 they can't appreciate them. It's good that there are less expensive ones on the market now than when they first came out but, it's sad.
Even at house league level the coaches should be checking kids sticks to make sure they have the right ones. At elats now they are starting to come in junior flex which is a good thing. But Im of the mindset these kids should learn with a wood stick first because a composite isnt really going to make a difference in their game until at least 15-16 years old.

deeker*

anyway. I was just trying to do some razzing.

But really, the deal is this. I'll admit that I don't have a lot of money for composite sticks, at the moment. I live in Los Angeles, unlike all you red neck country bumpkin lumberjack Canadian motherfathers (I kid I kid ;)). But here's the deal, I have spent TOP dollar on my: snowboards + gear, dirt bike + gear, golf clubs, scuba gear, etc, etc...

And I only point this out to you for one reason, and that is that there are items that are worthy of spending top dollar on.

Then there are hockey sticks.

Believe me, I don't give a **** about a fancy composite stick. If someone GAVE me one, I would never even try it out, and just sell it. I am INCREDIBLY comfortable with wood/fiberglass one piece sticks, and would never give them up.

What I'm trying to tell you that you should save your money on hockey sticks, and spend it on skates... or some more ice time to improve your game, or even give it to charity or something (the way I feel about enabling the companies to gouge). A composite stick is not going to do anything for you except for make you look like a lame, unless you have some REAL serious game to back it up. If you don't get that, well then I'm just sorry for you.

On the other hand, if you've got game, and the money to blow, and you really feel that you're getting that extra 4 mph out of that stick and not sacrificing any feel or control, then more power to you. Really. To each his own.

deeker*

and Diamond, no hard feelings eh, I was just being a bit of a *******.

One trick that I use (because I don't like to change my tape a lot) is to take one strip of tape and run it across the bottom edge, before the wrap.

This gives you an extra layer of tape at the bottom, and I also believe it cheats you a little for getting easier lift on the puck.

EagleBlack87

Score ze goals
Sep 18, 2007
I'm looking for a 75 flex but the senior sticks I'm looking at only go to 85.

How much more strength do the intermediates lack than the senior sticks?

Also, what are some really good wooden sticks for forwards? I'm thinking of going back to wood to get my feel back.

deeker*

I'm looking for a 75 flex but the senior sticks I'm looking at only go to 85.

How much more strength do the intermediates lack than the senior sticks?

Also, what are some really good wooden sticks for forwards? I'm thinking of going back to wood to get my feel back.

I don't know if they still stock them because I haven't bought in like 6 years, because I bought a whole lot of them, but I really like the Koho 2260 (thin grip), it's fiberglass on the sides (too stiff for you). I also like the Bauer supreme 3003 (same with glass and med/stiff). But, similar in pure wood (lighter and more flex) is the Bauer supreme 3000. It's a medium flex, I'm not sure where that falls number wise.

And like I said, these may be out dated because I'm operating out of whole quiver of them, and they tend to last me. Also I've been out of the game a while.

I wouldn't count on number ratings so much though, I don't think they are very reliable, especially from brand to brand. Your best bet is to go to the shop and start feeling them out bending them. IMO. Then when you find what you like, you can start ordering them if you want.

But I really don't see how anyone can recomend a stick to another person. Anytime and everytime I've ever borrowed a stick, it's always felt totally alien to me. And I'm talking about picking from the whole team, can't find one that feels right. So it seems to me that the chances that someone likes the same thing as you, are pretty slim.

It really it all comes down to what you like; as far a quality, I don't have any real opinion, or bad experiences to speak of.

deeker*

I live in Los Angeles, unlike all you red neck country bumpkin lumberjack Canadian motherfathers (I kid I kid ;)).

Really, as far as this comment I made earlier I was truly joking. I actually don't like it here anymore. I'm jealous! I wish I was born and raised in Canada OK? I could have been a contender! LOL. Stupid LA didn't know anything about hockey until Gretzky got here. I'm so sick of the this city, little Mexico :shakehead. And I even live in the nicer suburbs.

Really, I want a small town, and some nature, and cheaper ice, and nicer people, and cheaper prices, and LESS traffic and people! And I could be boarding in Whistler!

Sorry about the little OT biography. I'm in a weird mood today. And now feeling a little guilty about being so snippy earlier.

Diamond Joe

Apr 7, 2007
Toronto, ON
Really, as far as this comment I made earlier I was truly joking. I actually don't like it here anymore. I'm jealous! I wish I was born and raised in Canada OK? I could have been a contender! LOL. Stupid LA didn't know anything about hockey until Gretzky got here. I'm so sick of the this city, little Mexico :shakehead. And I even live in the nicer suburbs.

Really, I want a small town, and some nature, and cheaper ice, and nicer people, and cheaper prices, and LESS traffic and people! And I could be boarding in Whistler!

Sorry about the little OT biography. I'm in a weird mood today. And now feeling a little guilty about being so snippy earlier.

Thanks for at least being honest. Thanks for apologizing, this is a decent thread. I have had okay luck with one pieces and I actually do get the benefit. Played competitive my whole life in Toronto, DO spend top dollar on snowboard and scuba gear too! But ya I am strong, weigh over 200 lbs, about 213 and am accurate I can say honestly. I am a believer and like you said that better skates are good, which I also have a pretty good pair of 5 YO Grafs. I also went to school to shoot then got into expensive sticks once I could notice the difference. One piece sticks allow for more consistency and strength BUT with the added bonus of a real nice kick. I had an original silver synergy, then got a 110 Gold grip, then a yellow grip (broke in 2 games), got a free Vapor XX (amazing feel, but got 87 flex and it broke in 2 weeks), then got a si-core grip, broke it after warranty when "tickling the pickle" in front of the net and a dude fell forward with it in his nuts, then pulled the old buy a new one, send in the old receipt...and i've had that one since...so i guess you COULD say that I haven't had great luck, this is over the span of about 6 years though, that's I guess 250 on a stick/year, aside from 2 lemons. If my new S17 breaks I'll be ticked but I am willing to take the risk b/c I do feel the benefit.

stick9

Aug 12, 2004
I want to say it was with the more rounded shafts they had the torquing problems. Its the only bad thing i can remember about innovative other than being hard to find.

Man, I loved the rounded shafts Innovative made.

deeker said:
Believe me, I don't give a **** about a fancy composite stick. If someone GAVE me one, I would never even try it out, and just sell it. I am INCREDIBLY comfortable with wood/fiberglass one piece sticks, and would never give them up.

Some people are content using wood sticks. If you aren't concerned about weight and your shot is good enough already or you simply can't afford the cost. I can certainly see why some are content using them. I never liked the dead feeling wood sticks would have or the inconsistency you'd find in flex and blade patterns. I went to composite shafts because I wore through blades. I later went to one piece composites when blades starting getting expensive and good shafts got harder to find. After about three years of using one piece composites, I switched to a tapered shaft/blade combo. Much better set up then a one piece IMO. I still get the performance of a one piece, and I also get the flexibility of being able to change blades.

deeker*

Some people are content using wood sticks. If you aren't concerned about weight and your shot is good enough already or you simply can't afford the cost.

See, do you really think that the stick makes that kind of difference in your shot? really? And are you sure that you couldn't be imagining a bit of it?

The weight, I personally enjoy having some weight, I don't like that hollow 'ting' feeling when it feels like the puck is vibrating your stick. I want the stick to control the puck.

And beyond being able to afford the cost, there is also if you choose to afford the cost or not. I mean, we're talking about deciding between a stick and a xbox 360 here (example), unless your just rich enough to get whatever you want, whenever you want, and money has no value and you just don't care. Which is probably the reason that these stick companies can get away with this b.s in the first place.

I can certainly see why some are content using them. I never liked the dead feeling wood sticks would have or the inconsistency you'd find in flex and blade patterns.

What you consider a "dead feeling", I consider control. flex inconsistencies I can agree with that, but blade patterns, not really. as I posted previously I've bought them by the half dozens, and lined them all up because I tweak the blades just a little, and they are always all the same, I mean, within a millimeter or so. Of course, that is out of the same lot, so it probably gets more pronounced when you buy them a year apart.

I went to composite shafts because I wore through blades. I later went to one piece composites when blades starting getting expensive and good shafts got harder to find. After about three years of using one piece composites, I switched to a tapered shaft/blade combo. Much better set up then a one piece IMO. I still get the performance of a one piece, and I also get the flexibility of being able to change blades.

So you like two piece setups. This is generally a cheaper route though anyway, am I right?

btw, I've got a few composite shafts 2 piece setups here. Even an $100 Easton Typhoon 80 shaft(that was given to me). I went that route for a while, never really liked it that much, so I went back to good ol' reliable, one piece wood. I didn't like the unbalanceness, and I felt like I was losing power and feel in the joint somehow. It just doesn't seem smart to glue together two totally different materials and expect them to work as one, IMO.

But after looking around a little (hockey giant), I see that the one piece composites have come down a lot. So maybe I should be a little less judgemental on the noobs with shiny new gear and composites, but I still stand by it for people who will go out and spend $300 on the latest and greatest. bottom line is you are just getting ripped off, and that's never cool. I mean, the pros wouldn't even pay that for a stick (save the "they get comp by companies and team anyway"), and they have the money and the skill. And there is just no way that you can validate a $200 difference in performance, it's just not going to happen. It's along the lines of thinking that a pill is going to make your package bigger. Aint gunna happen. hehe.

Like my golf clubs, I have probably spent $2,000 on them, and I STILL suck. LOL. But at least they don't break, unless you get pissed off and start wrapping them around trees. LOL.

But the bottom line is that if you guys quit giving these companies your money, when they are charging RIDICULOUS prices, then they will be forced to continue to discount them, and we all save a lot of money in the long run. amirite?

Last edited by a moderator:

Greeneye

May 17, 2006
Golden, CO
I doubt any stick makes you a better/worse player. In my experience I have produced exactly the same results no matter what stick I have used. I've noticed guys on my teams are the same way. If you can play you can play period.

For whatever reason I just can't use wood sticks anymore. I bought a new sherwood about a month ago to play around with and I hated it. Maybe I am just too used to the feel of a 1pc but I was god awful with it. I'm sure if that was the only stick I had though I would be the same player once I got used to it again.

stick9

Aug 12, 2004
See, do you really think that the stick makes that kind of difference in your shot? really? And are you sure that you couldn't be imagining a bit of it?

I noticed a difference going from a high end standard shaft to a one piece. Honestly, I think it helped my shooting. I have a quicker release and more power to both my wrist and slap shot.

The weight, I personally enjoy having some weight, I don't like that hollow 'ting' feeling when it feels like the puck is vibrating your stick. I want the stick to control the puck.

See, I hated having that weight. What you call "ting" I call "alive". They do take a few to get used to though. It's a different feeling.

And beyond being able to afford the cost, there is also if you choose to afford the cost or not. I mean, we're talking about deciding between a stick and a xbox 360 here (example), unless your just rich enough to get whatever you want, whenever you want, and money has no value and you just don't care. Which is probably the reason that these stick companies can get away with this b.s in the first place.

For me the cost was a wash. With decent blades moving into the 30's and 40's. Getting an entire stick for $135 and have it last over a year was a worth while investment. You can still get a really nice OPS for around $150 US and if you look you can find real nice sticks on closeout for under $100 US. Like I said, for me it's an investment.

What you consider a "dead feeling", I consider control. flex inconsistencies I can agree with that, but blade patterns, not really. as I posted previously I've bought them by the half dozens, and lined them all up because I tweak the blades just a little, and they are always all the same, I mean, within a millimeter or so. Of course, that is out of the same lot, so it probably gets more pronounced when you buy them a year apart.

So you like two piece setups. This is generally a cheaper route though anyway, am I right?

Yeah, I prefer a tapered set up to a one piece only because of the flexability I get in choosing blades. I can get the curve and lie I want without having to settle on a shaft.

Most one piece sticks are fused meaning they are actually two pieces. A tapered shaft is the same shaft they use to make a one piece stick, minus the blade of course.

btw, I've got a few composite shafts 2 piece setups here. Even an $100 Easton Typhoon 80 shaft(that was given to me). I went that route for a while, never really liked it that much, so I went back to good ol' reliable, one piece wood. I didn't like the unbalanceness, and I felt like I was losing power and feel in the joint somehow. It just doesn't seem smart to glue together two totally different materials and expect them to work as one, IMO.

I'd take a really good wood stick over a cheap OPS or two piece. The glue has never been an issue to me. I've always installed my own blades. I use a stronger glue and if need be, I add some tape to end so the blade fits nice and snug.

But after looking around a little (hockey giant), I see that the one piece composites have come down a lot. So maybe I should be a little less judgemental on the noobs with shiny new gear and composites, but I still stand by it for people who will go out and spend $300 on the latest and greatest. bottom line is you are just getting ripped off, and that's never cool. I mean, the pros wouldn't even pay that for a stick (save the "they get comp by companies and team anyway"), and they have the money and the skill. And there is just no way that you can validate a $200 difference in performance, it's just not going to happen. It's along the lines of thinking that a pill is going to make your package bigger. Aint gunna happen. hehe.

Like my golf clubs, I have probably spent $2,000 on them, and I STILL suck. LOL. But at least they don't break, unless you get pissed off and start wrapping them around trees. LOL.

But the bottom line is that if you guys quit giving these companies your money, when they are charging RIDICULOUS prices, then they will be forced to continue to discount them, and we all save a lot of money in the long run. amirite?

Just because someone has shiney new gear doesn't mean they are a noob. Maybe they just got sick of their old smelly bacteria infested gear and went out and bought new stuff. Maybe they used their tax return or bonus check, or asked for new stuff for Christmas. My gear is all modern era stuff but some of it is over 10 years old.

Ultimately, the bottom line is with the person slapping down the $$$. Do they think what they're buying is actually worth it. I can't justify spending $500 on skates when you can get some pretty bad *** skates for a little more then half that. In the same sense. I can't justify spending $40 on a stick that doesn't perform and will need to be tossed shortly after the laminate on the blade wears out or the toe starts to chip.

deeker*

I noticed a difference going from a high end standard shaft to a one piece. Honestly, I think it helped my shooting. I have a quicker release and more power to both my wrist and slap shot.

See, I hated having that weight. What you call "ting" I call "alive". They do take a few to get used to though. It's a different feeling.

For me the cost was a wash. With decent blades moving into the 30's and 40's. Getting an entire stick for $135 and have it last over a year was a worth while investment. You can still get a really nice OPS for around $150 US and if you look you can find real nice sticks on closeout for under $100 US. Like I said, for me it's an investment.

Yeah, I prefer a tapered set up to a one piece only because of the flexability I get in choosing blades. I can get the curve and lie I want without having to settle on a shaft.

Most one piece sticks are fused meaning they are actually two pieces. A tapered shaft is the same shaft they use to make a one piece stick, minus the blade of course.

I'd take a really good wood stick over a cheap OPS or two piece. The glue has never been an issue to me. I've always installed my own blades. I use a stronger glue and if need be, I add some tape to end so the blade fits nice and snug.

Just because someone has shiney new gear doesn't mean they are a noob. Maybe they just got sick of their old smelly bacteria infested gear and went out and bought new stuff. Maybe they used their tax return or bonus check, or asked for new stuff for Christmas. My gear is all modern era stuff but some of it is over 10 years old.

Ultimately, the bottom line is with the person slapping down the $$$. Do they think what they're buying is actually worth it. I can't justify spending $500 on skates when you can get some pretty bad *** skates for a little more then half that. In the same sense. I can't justify spending $40 on a stick that doesn't perform and will need to be tossed shortly after the laminate on the blade wears out or the toe starts to chip.

Fair enough.

And of course the gear doesn't mean they are a noob. If someone is wearing new shiny gear and ripping it up, then you would think nothing of it. I'm talking about a noob on the ice, with all the new shiny (top $$) gear, that spent all that money before he/she even knew what would suit them. In other words, uniformed purchases that they were gouged on, and that do nothing for their game.

I probably see more of this since I live in the LA area. But it is always sad when they are being laughed at behind their backs. You know, "wow, that's a really nice stick. How much was that?" tee hee...

If you've got the pro gear, you should be able to back it up. I wouldn't go out there with a $300 stick for this reason, and I'm not that bad. The top players usually want me on their line, because I can dish like nobodies business, with my wood stick. ;). But then there's usually a guy or two that can smoke me. :) Then I just lay back a little and act like I'm better than I am, but not trying hard. LOL

Last edited by a moderator:

Diamond Joe

Apr 7, 2007
Toronto, ON

Good post. You evaluated the situation from both angles. Like I said, I don't think I can go back to wood, I had to for a while and I made do, and while I understand there is a nice feel you get from wood you do get used to a OPS and for me the benefits of the kick and added consistency are worth it. Some people expect them to break but all sticks break. Personally I think people are more liable to go out there and really lean into a OPS. It's sort of the theory behind the truth that protein makes your muscles larger over time; most people actually work harder when they're taking protein, it's only natural to seek the results you're investing in.

NewBostonFan

Jun 28, 2006
i currently have a xxx lite id. (customized on nikebauerid.com) and a stealth. they are both 50 flex. the xxx is my starting stick by a mile. great for dangles and a quick release.

i also have a vector that i completely hate. i use it for street hockey just because i have it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad