Best fighter in the NHL currently?

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Who do you think would win between Miller and Kane? After all those dramatic "why-I-ottas!" (from both sides) it seems they would have to have a go this year. I feel like that one would be pretty even and wouldn't bet against either guy. Miller is stronger but Kane is more of a puncher.

Kane rides a ton of fighting reputation from the Cooke knock out years and years ago. It's not that he isn't a decent fighter because he is but I don't find him very technically sound. I'd lean miller in that fight but would obviously be pulling for kane.

Losing foligno hurts the sabres quite a bit in the toughness department.

Deslauriers is a wild card. Sometimes he wins in definitive fashion and sometimes looks lost. He hasn't looked quite as confident after Oleksiak wrecked him in embarassing fashion...

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Miller is a better fighter than Kane but Kane would have a punchers chance. If you look at Kane's record he doesn't really fight guys in Miller's class so I would be suprised if it happens. I am not saying Evander is a spot picker but he doesn't throw down with top guys and I consider Miller a top guy for his category.

Last edited:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
One fighter I have a boat load of respect for is Jerome Iginla. I mean as an old man by hockey standards last season he fought Tom Wilson, Cody McLeod, Patrick Maroon, and Deryk Engelland and acquitted himself well. He has great balance and is so technically sound. Iggy is very relaxed when he fights and doesn't seem to show fear ever. It's rare because he was the best player on the Flames for so long but could always fight well for a 6'1 205 pound guy.

Brent Burns

“”“Re-tooling on the fly”””
Feb 7, 2007
Was thinking Haley but didn't want to be a homer.. glad others see it though. Dude was rock solid for Sharks. I'm happy he got signed by Panthers.

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
Miller is a better fighter than Kane but Kane would have a punchers chance. If you look at Kane's record he doesn't really fight guys in Miller's class so I would be suprised if it happens. I am not saying Evander is a spot picker but he doesn't throw down with top guys and I consider Miller a top guy for his category.

As a sabres fan I'd agree with this totally.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
best for me is chara, worst is TJ Brown always fights and then gets dropped :laugh::laugh:

I honestly think Brown is a very underrated fighter. Obviously he would get destroyed against guys like Lucic, Reaves, McQuaid etc. but he fights really well for someone his size. He usually holds is own even though he usually is giving up 30 pounds or so. If you want to find a really bad fighter on the Bolts, Cedric Paquette is your guy.

BobbyAwe

Nov 21, 2006
South Carolina
Lucic doesn't have to fight much these days. due to his reputation perhaps, i noticed not many players will even engage the guy anymore.

Looch is a great fighter because he fights smart. He doesn't go wild, he takes his time and waits for the big opening and in the meantime he's hitting you in the ribs.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Lucic may be the best body puncher I have ever watched, at least in the modern NHL. He's accurate as hell all around, too.

kj33706

Nov 7, 2017
Being a St.Louis Blues fan and watching Ryan Reaves come up thru with Peoria with the Riverman hands down RYAN REAVES.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
His fight card isn't so impressive yet, but I've been really impressed with Kurtis MacDermid as an up and comer

buzzworthy

Jan 14, 2014
I watched Kurtis play for the Erie Otters. I talked to him more than a few times. He was one hell of a nice kid. He is one tough sob. He is the rare combination of a guy that can hit big, and fight big. When the Kings visit the Pens I would bet you that RR will drop and go with KM. That should be one hell of a tilt.

Grimm

Jul 21, 2017
Lucic is probably #1 at this point. Reaves #2. When Peluso is up he might take the cake. DE follows them. Boll is meh.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
On the other hand that guy in your avatar was the definition of tough. RIP Ryp
I might be going out on quite the limb here but, IMO, Rick Rypien was on of the best pound-for-pound fighters in NHL history. Most NHLers aren't, technically-speaking, very good fighters. Rypien's boxing training was evident in every one of his fights and likely resulted in quite a few broken noses and concussions for opposing fighters, many of whom where half a foot taller than him. And he could throw 'em with both hands.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I might be going out on quite the limb here but, IMO, Rick Rypien was on of the best pound-for-pound fighters in NHL history. Most NHLers aren't, technically-speaking, very good fighters. Rypien's boxing training was evident in every one of his fights and likely resulted in quite a few broken noses and concussions for opposing fighters, many of whom where half a foot taller than him. And he could throw 'em with both hands.
I disagree. I think Stock was a better fighter than Rypien, and had a MUCH better fight card over his career. Rypien was damn good in this era, but he had big time trouble with the legit heavies. Stock literally always fought guys who had a good 20-40 pounds on him. The only thing hurting Rypien for this discussion is his fight card, in my opinion.

ORR2Sanderson2ORR

Bobby Orr Scores
Aug 24, 2005
Everywhere
Reeves and Peluso 1-2
Gazdic and Lucic 3-4
Chara and Engelland 5-6.

No one as yet has shown they can go blow to blow with reeves with the excepton of Peluso and maybe Bolling in the past.

As far as hockey players Lucic and Chara remain 1-2

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad