Best fighter in the NHL currently?

terrible dee

Oct 1, 2017
Hard to say who's the best of NHL fighters today's NHL.
But if the talk is best NHL fighter ever i would say Tie Domi.

Here's my TOP10 NHL fighters of all time.
1 Tie Domi
2 Paul Laus
3 Peter Worrell
4 Bob Probert ( RIP Bob)
5 Rob Ray
6 Matthew Barnaby
7 Joey Kocur
8 Marty Mcsorley
9 Donald Brashear
10 Sandy McCarthy

Oh, and the best pound for pound of all time were Rick Rypien and Gordie Howe actually neither one cared how much you weighed. They were all the same size lying on their backs

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
Hard to say who's the best of NHL fighters today's NHL.
But if the talk is best NHL fighter ever i would say Tie Domi.

Here's my TOP10 NHL fighters of all time.
1 Tie Domi
2 Paul Laus
3 Peter Worrell
4 Bob Probert ( RIP Bob)
5 Rob Ray
6 Matthew Barnaby
7 Joey Kocur
8 Marty Mcsorley
9 Donald Brashear
10 Sandy McCarthy

Only thing Domi had was a thick head. He could take a lot of punches but he wasn't exactly a great offensive fighter.
From my lifetime:

1. Tony Twist
2. Bob Probert
3. Eric Lindros
4. Georges Laraque
5. Donald Brashear

Reactions: FerrisRox

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Oh, and the best pound for pound of all time were Rick Rypien and Gordie Howe actually neither one cared how much you weighed. They were all the same size lying on their backs
Again, disagree with Rypien. He's a great MW and that's about it. When he stepped up against legit heavyweights he typically got worked over pretty good. See: Matt Carkner, Brad Staubitz, Ben Eager, Chris Neil, etc.

Stan Jonathan is probably my pick for best P4P.

Stock was a similar fighter with a MUCH more impressive fight card. I liked Rypien, he was tough as nails, but i think Stock was better P4P than Rypien, too.

Reactions: Finster8

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Twist was tough to rate. Pre roided up Twist was an entertaining fighter for example look at his two outstanding fights with Jim McKenzie (Hartford and Quebec). He was very fun to watch in juniors back then too.

The problem is when he got roided up and probably weighed 250 pounds he became dangerous enough that most guys fought him too safe. Tony would flail away and his power would throw guys off balance but he was one of the least accurate punchers of all time. If he landed flush you were in trouble but that didn’t happen often.

Before he gained the size he was a much more fun fighter. His fight record doesn’t lie though he was one of the toughest guys to beat during his career jacked on roils or not.

DaJackal

Aug 3, 2015
Eastern front
>Checks thread title
>"Best fighter in the NHL currently"

leaving-now-grandpa-simpsons.gif

Reactions: Puck Dogg

vandymeer13

Feb 8, 2017
Iowa
Since everyone else is putting a top 10 I'll put mine too. Some guys who were great back in the day are not on here because they were retired before I started watching I'm 30. So John Kordic, Dave Schultz, Kocur , Gillies and other greats aren't in my raiting im talking late 90s on. To be in mine I'm counting activity durability and winning percentage and entertaining
10. Ryan Vandenbussche a homer pick. No one was tougher or more willing. Had some big losses but also a lot of big wins
9a. Donald Brashear Hated his style was probably on roids but he did beat a lot of guys even though most was hugging and rabbit punches. Questionable Steroid use
9b.Tony Twist to was a monster but on the juice
8. Sandy McCarthy Tough guy who took on anyone
7. Stu Grimson Fun to watch never backed down
6. Colton Orr Hell of a right hand but had some big losses
5. Derek Boogaard Dominate for a stretch had some big losses and lost to some guys he shouldn't of like Koci and Parros
4. Eric Godard The giant killer as he was first to destroy both boogey and disel mac
3. Brian McGratton Long time as elite near the top last real HW champ in the league
2. Georges Laraque Could of been number one if he was more of a enforcer to passive while fighting and doing his role but was a brick shit house
1. Bob Probert never forgot his role was a animal early on and was respectable till the end.

Reactions: Finster8

CameronNeely

May 11, 2019
I personally think Anthony Peluso was/is really good at trading some blows.. Some oldies goldies tuff guys:
Troy Crowder
Link Gaetz
Big Dave Brown
Chris Simon..

All deserve an honourable mention...but of course Bob is the GOAT..

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Adam Lowry is underrated but can hold his own

Lowry could have bailed but he waved off the refs and his bench and answered the challenge from the toughest guy in the league who was doing his job. Old school moment.

Reactions: Eegs and SUX2BU

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Only thing Domi had was a thick head. He could take a lot of punches but he wasn't exactly a great offensive fighter.

Domi's greatest skill as a fighter was the ability to absorb a ton of punches to his head with a dumb smile on his face. As an "enforcer" he was a total failure because there wasn't any fighter in the league afraid of taking him on. He didn't "protect" anybody.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
Domi's greatest skill as a fighter was the ability to absorb a ton of punches to his head with a dumb smile on his face. As an "enforcer" he was a total failure because there wasn't any fighter in the league afraid of taking him on. He didn't "protect" anybody.
that's not really true. He bloodied up quite a few guys back in the day. There weren't really any enforcers that would shy away from any other enforcer. Domi wouldn't shy away from anyone, and absolutely could hold his own.

He started to score some goals and thought he could actually play hockey. And wasn't smart enough to realize he's nothing more than an idiot goon.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
that's not really true. He bloodied up quite a few guys back in the day. There weren't really any enforcers that would shy away from any other enforcer. Domi wouldn't shy away from anyone, and absolutely could hold his own.

He started to score some goals and thought he could actually play hockey. And wasn't smart enough to realize he's nothing more than an idiot goon.

None of this changes the fact that Domi's greatest skill as a pugilist - by far - was his ability to absorb punches. In almost all of his fights he took significantly more punches than he gave. There were several fighters who's careers overlapped with Domi's who were much, much, much scarier fighters and who could really hurt people.

Domi seems to be celebrated because he was an undersized guy that hung in their with the big boys, but it no way shape or form was he the best fighter in the league and he was probably one of the few "heavy weights" that all kinds of non enforcers had no issue whatsoever fighting because he wasn't scary.

Domi "won" a lot of fights by wrestling an exhausted combatant to the ground after the guy tired himself out filling in Domi with a flurry of punches. This is not exactly the kind of thing that gives your bench a big lift nor does it make anyone think twice about taking any liberties with your star players.

joe dirte

Sep 28, 2017
None of this changes the fact that Domi's greatest skill as a pugilist - by far - was his ability to absorb punches. In almost all of his fights he took significantly more punches than he gave. There were several fighters who's careers overlapped with Domi's who were much, much, much scarier fighters and who could really hurt people.

Domi seems to be celebrated because he was an undersized guy that hung in their with the big boys, but it no way shape or form was he the best fighter in the league and he was probably one of the few "heavy weights" that all kinds of non enforcers had no issue whatsoever fighting because he wasn't scary.

Domi "won" a lot of fights by wrestling an exhausted combatant to the ground after the guy tired himself out filling in Domi with a flurry of punches. This is not exactly the kind of thing that gives your bench a big lift nor does it make anyone think twice about taking any liberties with your star players.

Yeah, absolutely. He ducked his head and took punch after punch on that cement block head of his, and would try to get inside. Once he did, he'd throw haymakers, and frequently bloodied guys up.

I can't stand Domi (can't stand the whole family actually), but to say he was a failure as an enforcer simply isn't true. He was one of the better enforcers in the NHL. It was actually when he decided to try be more than just a blockhead that he became completely useless.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->