Best fighter in the NHL currently?

ickie*

Jun 18, 2017
adam mcquaid is both a better fighter and player than most seem to give him credit for

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
That wasn't his point.

Reaves isn't that good at hockey. Blues fans have gone overboard with the "this guy can actually play!" stuff. 13 points in a full season is his career high. He's not skilled the least bit.

He is, however, a roster regular.

What's the object of being an enforcer? To fight every AHL tough guy call-up in some arbitrary title match, or to hold players accountable for taking liberties with his team's stars?

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
From what I have seen Mark Borowiecki is the best grappler in the NHL. Hard judo throws from the clinch make him a very dangerous, tricky opponent. I keep expecting a bad outcome one of these days when he throws someone on their head from the greco body lock position. I don't like to see him drop the gloves for this reason; what he's doing isn't really traditional hockey fighting strictly speaking.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Anthony Peluso , but he's playing on the Manitoba Moose. I don't think I've ever seen him lose a fight in the NHL.

Definitely backing Tony P.
Gary Roberts called him a physical freak and the strongest guy in hockey. He had a unique style. Every fighter ties up looking for an advantage to get the upper hand to land a big blow. Peluso would use that tactic to destroy guys with body blows.

I saw every fight he ever had with the Jets.
He destroyed most guys in real ugly fashion.

(OTT) Neil was tricky and grabbed Tony's ear strap on the helmet and pulled him down as he turtled (avoided taking any punches from Peluso). The Reaves fight is the only one I can't give Peluso the clear edge. Reaves did better early and Tony came on late (maybe call it 51 Reaves / 49 Peluso). Hockeyfights dot whatever listed Peluso as losing 3 fights which is ridiculous. Reaves is the only one I could see them calling a loss (and that was a razor close fight). I would have liked to have seen a rematch.

Too bad he's moved on from the Jets /Moose.
It was nice having the "nuclear option" in the AHL if needed.
:pillow:

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I was hoping that the Bruins would acquire Peluso for the 4th line but instead they seem to be going with fringe NHLers that do nothing. Though, i like Noel Accairi.

The only fight i remember Peluso losing was against McGrattan.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
He is, however, a roster regular.

What's the object of being an enforcer? To fight every AHL tough guy call-up in some arbitrary title match, or to hold players accountable for taking liberties with his team's stars?
You are in for a huge awakening if you don't think players will get away with taking liberties on the Penguins' top players anymore.

All the player has to do is say no to Reaves when he asks them to fight. It's not hard and there's really nothing else he can do about it. I've watched this happen when he was on my team for years. He definitely tries but he cannot stop players on the other team from throwing dirty hits. It did not happen.

BryzyInPhilly

Jun 27, 2011
I'm surprised to see Rinaldo's name thrown around in here. Admittedly, I haven't watched him much at all since he left the Flyers, but back in those days he got wrecked more often than not. Had guts though, no doubt.

SiouxPride

Dec 26, 2006
WINNIPEG!
Guys like Gallant and Liambis, hell even Neil (However he can play and fight) are nothing more then literal psychos, people say oh they enforce against the little punks who run around and hit the unsuspecting ect ect, well every game Ive seen those 2 play they are the ones going after the unsuspecting, the stars, starting stuff with guys who have never hit a fly. Also the amount of bias in these replies is absolutely hilarious, nobody on Boston can fight that well and lets be honest taking a look at McQuaid's fight card the past 2 seasons is not something to brag about. Haley? 16 fights, 8 wins voted on HF and almost all are very close in terms of the votes.

Someone I havent seen mentioned yet, not a lot of fights but some decisive wins would be Dalton Prout.

ickie*

Jun 18, 2017
From what I have seen Mark Borowiecki is the best grappler in the NHL. Hard judo throws from the clinch make him a very dangerous, tricky opponent. I keep expecting a bad outcome one of these days when he throws someone on their head from the greco body lock position. I don't like to see him drop the gloves for this reason; what he's doing isn't really traditional hockey fighting strictly speaking.

he's one of the worst players in the entire league that plays a regular shift and is a bad fighter too. the senators are an objectively worse team when he is on the ice

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Guys like Gallant and Liambis, hell even Neil (However he can play and fight) are nothing more then literal psychos, people say oh they enforce against the little punks who run around and hit the unsuspecting ect ect, well every game Ive seen those 2 play they are the ones going after the unsuspecting, the stars, starting stuff with guys who have never hit a fly. Also the amount of bias in these replies is absolutely hilarious, nobody on Boston can fight that well and lets be honest taking a look at McQuaid's fight card the past 2 seasons is not something to brag about. Haley? 16 fights, 8 wins voted on HF and almost all are very close in terms of the votes.

Someone I havent seen mentioned yet, not a lot of fights but some decisive wins would be Dalton Prout.

I would say that McQuaid is a pretty damn good fighter from a power and technical standpoint to say he isn't is just flat out dumb.

Also to say Kevan Miller can't fight well either is dumb.

Are they the best? Absolutely not but they can go.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Depends how "best" is being defined. Most wins? Most technical? Most effective?

I think overall. Mind you, a guy like Kevin Bieksa who tries to fight midgets and non fighters all the time will likely have a lopsided record.

Wins vs top fighters is how i would look at it.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
McQuaid has played most of his career at a lean 6'4 -209pds and likely has an insanely good W-L record for a light heavyweight who is willing to give up 20+ pds in a fight.

Anyway, he can't win against a Reaves or Peluso but you would be hard pressed to find a better overall record than this --especially considering that his 3-3 year was when he was coming off the offseason from hell where he lost 20pds of muscle and almost died.

http://dropyourgloves.com/Fights/FightCard.aspx?Player=10319

DJN21

Aug 8, 2011
Rochester
McQuaid has played most of his career at a lean 6'4 -209pds and likely has an insanely good W-L record for a light heavyweight who is willing to give up 20+ pds in a fight.

Anyway, he can't win against a Reaves or Peluso but you would be hard pressed to find a better overall record than this --especially considering that his 3-3 year was when he was coming off the offseason from hell where he lost 20pds of muscle and almost died.

http://dropyourgloves.com/Fights/FightCard.aspx?Player=10319

Sabres fan here completely agreeing that McQuaid and Kevan miller are arguably the best middle weight duo in the league. Sure they can't handle the reaves, gazdic types but I would never bet against them within their weight class.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
Sabres fan here completely agreeing that McQuaid and Kevan miller are arguably the best middle weight duo in the league. Sure they can't handle the reaves, gazdic types but I would never bet against them within their weight class.

Who do you think would win between Miller and Kane? After all those dramatic "why-I-ottas!" (from both sides) it seems they would have to have a go this year. I feel like that one would be pretty even and wouldn't bet against either guy. Miller is stronger but Kane is more of a puncher.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
You are in for a huge awakening if you don't think players will get away with taking liberties on the Penguins' top players anymore.

All the player has to do is say no to Reaves when he asks them to fight.
It's not hard and there's really nothing else he can do about it. I've watched this happen when he was on my team for years. He definitely tries but he cannot stop players on the other team from throwing dirty hits. It did not happen.

I'm not naive enough to think that Reaves is going to end everything. But I do think he's going to give the Dubinskys and Niskanens of the world a lot more to think about if they continue regularly targeting Crosby with cheap shots to the back of the head etc, whether it's going at them directly or giving their stars some extra attention in kind.

We haven't had any pushback the last couple years, and while we've won, we've been very fortunate that Crosby hasn't missed extended periods because of it. Now we have an option.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Who do you think would win between Miller and Kane? After all those dramatic "why-I-ottas!" (from both sides) it seems they would have to have a go this year. I feel like that one would be pretty even and wouldn't bet against either guy. Miller is stronger but Kane is more of a puncher.

I could honestly say it would be fairly even, but i think that Millers wins would be more convincing if that makes sense. Miller has some power, and is accurate with his punches. It's a damn close one though...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad