WJC: Best defenseman in the WJC

Dave from Vancouver

Dec 8, 2009
If you don't care about defense.
This is an assumption about as overblown as Kaberle's supposed terrible defense is.

What he doesn't have in natural defensive instincts he makes up for in commitment and leadership. It's just a shame he isn't a couple of inches taller.

DoYouBeleaf

Aug 13, 2010
Mississauga
How is this even comparable? Ellis is the obvious best. He's so good at both ends of the ice and is smart with the puck. He has a great shot and his size doesn't discourage the defensive aspect of his game.

ErsG1

Jan 1, 2011
How is Patrick Wey doing? I havent been able to watch any of the games

walle

Sep 9, 2008
Northpole
lol i kept on reading first page all those vatanen posts thinking "are u all that blind really"

thank god it was pre-tournament posts.

wont comment on this yet, real games are just about to start!

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
How is this even comparable? Ellis is the obvious best. He's so good at both ends of the ice and is smart with the puck. He has a great shot and his size doesn't discourage the defensive aspect of his game.

Erixon has been better in both the exhibition game, and the last game against Canada. And that with absolutely no homer glasses on.

vippe

Mar 18, 2008
Sweden
Three way horse race so far, Orlov, Ellis and Erixon are the three best players in the backend thus far...

perry2

Dec 31, 2010
Ängelholm facing the

Ellis weak against Sweden missed at the SO.
A Larsson havent showed enough yet.
Nr 5 i Check team FRK is the best Def. so far. Plays hard and scores goals, he is born 93 to.

Alessandro Seren Rosso

Jun 21, 2004
Europe
thehockeywriters.com
Dmitri Orlov has been the best defenseman IMO.

His team, on the other hand...

Orlov the best defenseman? What WJC are you following? As I pointed out numerous times, he looked good only against non-competitors and/or with the closest opposition player at 10 feet. And he overdoes searching for the big hit. His offensive performance has been ok, but he must work more on the own zone.

pouskin74*

Orlov the best defenseman? What WJC are you following? As I pointed out numerous times, he looked good only against non-competitors and/or with the closest opposition player at 10 feet. And he overdoes searching for the big hit. His offensive performance has been ok, but he must work more on the own zone.

offensively very good but yes you are right not very good at home.

cheerupmurray

May 26, 2010
Stockholm
Patrick Nemeth has hardly been the best D-man in the tournament, but he has clearly the potential to be a great shutdown-guy. He is so damn big and calm and can really handle the big minutes hes been given so far.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Very impressed with Erixon. This guy should make the NHL next year.

HuskyFlames

Jan 12, 2004
Very impressed with Erixon. This guy should make the NHL next year.

Due to everyone liking high scoring propsects I think the Flames D prospects have gone highly underrated for the last 2 years.

I also dont see the mad love for Cowen.Sure hes had knee injury but he looks very slow and at that speed would get eaten alive by NHL forwards in midseason form.

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
well jokipakka has been finland's best defender even better than vatanen

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
I also dont see the mad love for Cowen.Sure hes had knee injury but he looks very slow and at that speed would get eaten alive by NHL forwards in midseason form.

He's been Canada's best guy in the defensive zone, clearly. His prospect as an NHLer is probably even better at the NHL level because his skating will continue to evolve but he's got that size and wing span. You don't see too man 6'6 235 pounders at 19 move like he can. He's not the one being victimized by speed.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad