WJC: Best defenseman in the WJC

Armia

Oct 23, 2010
I'd say Vatanen has a decent chance to be the best. Have to remember that the tournament is only a few games, so there are at least 10 defensemen that have some (or a little) chance of being it. Vatanen has a good chance, because he will play something like 30 minutes a game because there isn't any competition for the number one D spot. And Vatanen will be the PP dynamo in team Finland and play a lot of PK. The only thing that plays against him is that he might get tired when the tournament gets older. But he's still a good guess when guessing which D gets the most goals/points. I guess he'll be MVP for Finland this year. Hell, he might even become the MVP of the tournament if everything goes right.

I lol'd so hard, pretty rough underistimating of the finnish D here :(:cry:

Bob Vance

Mar 30, 2010
Windsor, ON
Anyways, call me a homer, but I think Ellis will be. He was hurt basically the whole year last year with a nagging wrist problem, so I don't think you guys have seen the most he can offer. He's a lot stronger defensively than a lot of people seem to give him credit for. Windsors goals against have gone up by like 3 per game since he left for camp.

I also think Cowen will be good, so I'm certainly not trying to bash him.

I hope Gudbranson can get it together too.

Last edited by a moderator:

MrGeno101

Sep 11, 2008
Vatanen, Ellis and Larsson are the favorites in my mind but i think Orlov (Russia) and Cowen could challenge too...

No1Joker

May 11, 2009
Helsinki
It will be a race of A.Larsson, Vatanen and Cowen. Ellis wont make much of an impact defensively and neither offensively like last 2 years, Ekman-Larsson is the best on paper but i think Phoenix wont let him come OR he wont be the best defensman of the tournament because lack of improvement/icetime/motivation. Just my couple of thoughts, A.Larsson will be the number 1 overall pick in 2011 entry draft, Sami Vatanen is the best defenceman in the SM-Liiga, Jared Cowen is a beast when he reaches the potential.

17Kurri

Apr 10, 2010
Ekman-Larsson (all around)
Cowan (defense)
Marincin (rising star)
Vatanen/Ellis (Offense)

jughead42*

Ellis wont make much of an impact defensively and neither offensively like last 2 years

You do realize Ellis is already the all time scoring leader among defencemen for team Canada world junior history right? Go back to rooting for Aki Berg to have a break out season or something.:laugh:

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
He won't be the best, but I think Faulk is going to surprise a ton of people... My Canes got a steal with him I believe

Highway robbery at #37. Probably a top 15 selection if the draft was held again today. Hope to see him paired with Leddy.

Speaking of UMD, I think fans of Team Canada will be very pleasantly surprised with Dylan Olsen's two-way game. I think he'll be a consistent presence on the top pair.

Sasha Cares

28 mph!!!!!!!
Sep 25, 2006
Island of Misfit Toy
Highway robbery at #37. Probably a top 15 selection if the draft was held again today. Hope to see him paired with Leddy.

Speaking of UMD, I think fans of Team Canada will be very pleasantly surprised with Dylan Olsen's two-way game. I think he'll be a consistent presence on the top pair.

Skinner at 7 and Faulk at 37 are looking the two biggest steals right now... The Canes have had mixed results with their picks over the past decade, but this draft will go down as one of their best.. Faulk has been a stud all year and we can't wait to get him into the system... You're right though, he's a top 10-20 kid from that draft if they did it all over again today

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
not much talk for the US blueline....not sure why.

Nick Leddy might lead the whole tourney in points for dmen with the way this USA team is going to rush the play. Leddy has had a cup of coffee in the NHL, and is now an AHL pro...I think he has a big showing.

same goes for Jon Merrill, kid has all the tools to be a bigtime player this year. Keep your eyes open for him as well.

Pyke*

I like Cowen, but I think Ellis will be a better all around defenseman for *this tournament*.

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Short tourney like this, it ends up being pretty much about offence as a solid two-way game won't be noticed enough to merit consideration for top d-man. Basically, if you aren't your team's PP QB, you aren't going to be considered IMO.

I'd say Ellis is the favorite, with guys like Vatanen and Orlov the wild cards. Merril and Faulk might also get in the conversation given the US should be a gold contender and get a lot of exposure. Larsson definitely has a shot too, and perhaps Erixon.

In terms of an overall prospect, Gudbranson, Larsson and Cowen belong at the top of the conversation I suppose, but Larsson is likely the only one of the three to get enough PP time to get considered. That, and Cowen and Gudbrandson have both struggled about in camp and pre-tourney - especially Gudbranson. With Ellis and de Haan logging so many minutes, I'm not sure either is even a top pairing guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $365.00