Best Current Puck Handling Goalies

joez86

Jan 20, 2006
Price is the best since Brodeur, which means he might be the 2nd best ever at it.

Bishop is also really good at that, but he's a little (tall) *****, so **** him.

050814-600-ron-hextall.jpg

Someone would like a brief chat with you...

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Bishop/Price
Smith

Everyone else.

I agree. This is one of the things that killed the Habs last year, not having Price to chase down the puck. It takes away an option for the offense. Same with Smith in AZ. The D can stand up at the blue line knowing the goalie can retrieve the dump.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I agree. This is one of the things that killed the Habs last year, not having Price to chase down the puck. It takes away an option for the offense. Same with Smith in AZ. The D can stand up at the blue line knowing the goalie can retrieve the dump.

The Price loss hurt the Canadiens not only as far as goaltending, but zone exits/puck moving. Price really IS like a 3rd d-man when it comes to exiting the zone.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Price is better than Hextall ever was at everything a goalie can do, aside punching faces, and even then, I wouldn't put my moeny against the 6'4 goalie

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Bishop/Price
Smith

Everyone else.

I'd put Price in first. All three of those guys are good puck handlers. I think what sets Price apart is his decision-making while playing the puck.

A fair amount of goalies these days are good puck handlers but it doesn't do a whole lot of good if you end up throwing it up the boards and turning it over when you could've handed it off to your d-man 3 feet away.

A lot of times goalies go for the big play and want to get involved but the great puck handlers also know when to go for it and when to make the simple play.

joez86

Jan 20, 2006
Price is better than Hextall ever was at everything a goalie can do, aside punching faces, and even then, I wouldn't put my moeny against the 6'4 goalie

Bump this thread when Price has a Conn Smythe, scores a goal in the playoffs, or puts up more than 8 assists in a season, then. I don't doubt he can do any of these, but I also wouldn't bet on it.

However, putting your money on Price when it comes to face punching is just comical (psst, Hextall wasn't exactly a midget). Price is certainly not better at "everything a goalie can do", and in particular (and relevant to this thread), Hextall handled the puck better than Price does.

Mitts

Jun 29, 2011
Calgary
Jonas Hiller was a master at it, one of the smoothest puck moving goalies of all time, the way he pulled the puck out of the net in one fluid motion was truly a sight to see...Four or five times a night, amazing stuff.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Bump this thread when Price has a Conn Smythe, scores a goal in the playoffs, or puts up more than 8 assists in a season, then. I don't doubt he can do any of these, but I also wouldn't bet on it.

However, putting your money on Price when it comes to face punching is just comical (psst, Hextall wasn't exactly a midget). Price is certainly not better at "everything a goalie can do", and in particular (and relevant to this thread), Hextall handled the puck better than Price does.

Oh sorry, i forgot Hextall had a much better career than... Wait he didnt and Price isnt even 30 yet.

Hyack57

Aug 6, 2004
Airdrie, AB
I was watching hockey vids on youtube when I came across this

At 0:45 Tom Barrasso makes a GREAT pass to Mario Lemieux (it'a even in the thumbnail).

What are some of your favorite goalie puckhandling moments of all time?

Kirk McLean absolutely hated freezing the puck. Any chance he got he tried to pass it to someone.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004

Price is 6'3", same size as Hextall. The difference being that Hextall was a complete lunatic on the ice.

Ron Hextall is a major part of why goalies play the puck today. He helped change goaltending style. Also he won a Vezina and Conn Smythe as a 23 yr old. It's difficult to compare goalies from different eras but the gap isn't what you make it out to be and dismisses his significance to the position.

Last edited:

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
I'm biased as an Habs fan but I think Price is in a different league as far as stickhandling is concerned.

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
Bishop stood out to me.

Calvin Pickard is actually pretty good with the long pass/handling in general, but he hasn't gotten enough games for me to want to say he's one of the best

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad