Best Current Puck Handling Goalies

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I'd go Price and Bishop, if not for the fact that they're also good at actually stopping the puck as well.

Rinne and Smith are amazing puck handlers as well, only Rinne isn't any good at stopping the puck anymore and Smith is mediocre at stopping it as well. I thought Rinne's puck handling was still very solid, especially in the Sharks series. That's something you don't lose with time and age, unless you're so slow that you can't even skate back to your net if you get in trouble.:laugh:

Even Brodeur was still amazing at handling the puck in his last few seasons when he was no longer good at stopping it.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Best Puckhandling Goalies in the League

For awhile, I've thought there aren't many great puck handling goalies left. I have Price and Bishop ranked in a tear of their own. But after watching Murray in the playoffs last year and the few games he's played this year, I'm almost tempted to put him as third. What are your thoughts?

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
For awhile, I've thought there aren't many great puck handling goalies left. I have Price and Bishop ranked in a tear of their own. But after watching Murray in the playoffs last year and the few games he's played this year, I'm almost tempted to put him as third. What are your thoughts?

Mike Smith is excellent.

I would say Carey Price, Mike Smith and Ben Bishop are the top three.

Jake Allen, from what I've seen, is pretty solid.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
1) Bishop
2) Allen
3) Rinne
4) Price
5) Smith
6) Holtby
7) Ortio
-------------
8) Rask
9) Andersen
10) Bernier
--------------
11) Lehtonen
12) MAF

Pretty much the only goalies I want messing with the puck

Last edited:

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Where's Jimmy Howard :sarcasm:

Mrazeks pretty good at it. Don't really see any goalies try to do it against Detroit so idk

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
1) Bishop
2) Allen
3) Rinne
4) Price
5) Smith
6) Holtby
7) Ortio
-------------
8) Rask
9) Andersen
10) Bernier
--------------
11) Lehtonen
12) MAF

Um....You dont want MAF to be handling the puck AT ALL.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
1) Bishop
2) Allen
3) Rinne
4) Price
5) Smith
6) Holtby
7) Ortio
-------------
8) Rask
9) Andersen
10) Bernier
--------------
11) Lehtonen
12) MAF

Smith is the best, looks risky at times, but really helps the D.

Stonewall

Jan 14, 2013
All time great examples of goalie puckhandling

I was watching hockey vids on youtube when I came across this

At 0:45 Tom Barrasso makes a GREAT pass to Mario Lemieux (it'a even in the thumbnail).

What are some of your favorite goalie puckhandling moments of all time?

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016
Um....You dont want MAF to be handling the puck AT ALL.

Yup! I scream NOOOOOOOO every time he goes behind the net to get the puck. Usually he gets away with it even if he makes a bad play but it makes me nervous.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
One thing I know as a Sens fan is that Craig Anderson is terrible whenever he goes out of his crease. Like terrible.

Lehner is a great puck handler though.

Laphroaig

Aug 26, 2011
The Town Fun Forgot
The ability to handle the puck is a really nice attribute for a goalie but the ability to stops pucks and control rebounds is still the true measure. I think Mike smith is the best puck handler right now but I have to mention that Dominic Hasek was one of the worst puck handling goalies I ever saw.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
I saw a WHA game Plante played in. He was an old man but awesome. You could not dump the puck in on this guy, he'd go get it and rifle it out. He had the most powerful pass I have ever seen from a goal stick. Many defensemen I have seen do not have that kind of first pass ability.

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
Price is almost essential to our break-out strategies. He's a third defenseman back there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad