best contracts in the league

Vinegar Strokes

Dirty Ducks
Oct 26, 2006
San DIego
Surprised I haven’t seen one mention of Rickard Rakell, must be underrated after an underwhelming season on a tire fire of a team with a terrible coach.

Over the last 3 years he’s scoring 32 goals per 82 games (that’s with his down season) and 62 points per 82 games.

All this for just 3.79 a season. Not the best but it’s certainly up there.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Now that we're four pages in, how come Crosby has no mentions? I get that he's no kid anymore but that contract as a whole has been slamdunk value so far and $8.7M for six more years is still a discount if he keeps playing close to his current level.

Reactions: Monsieur Gustave H

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
Has nobody mentioned Seth Jones at $5.4m for another 3 years? That's pretty amazing value for a top 5ish defenseman in his prime.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
He doesn't actually watch hockey, he literally just looks at charts to form an opinion. It's sad because he used to be a pretty decent poster with normal opinions but somewhere along the way learned about some obscure advanced stats and forgot everything he'd ever known about hockey.

“Used to” be a decent poster? Am I the only one remembering when he insisted that Jake Dotchin was a #3D?

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Now that we're four pages in, how come Crosby has no mentions? I get that he's no kid anymore but that contract as a whole has been slamdunk value so far and $8.7M for six more years is still a discount if he keeps playing close to his current level.

I only ever enter best contract threads to mention that Crosby leads the regular season and playoffs in scoring on his current contract, with two Cups/Smythes. While everyone else mentions Roman f***ing Josi. If the Preds and Pens made a Josi/Crosby trade in 2017 (they had the available cap space) y'know who would have a Stanley cup right now? The Nashville Predators. Not sure what people think the Josi deal is the best at, but it's not winning hockey games.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I submit that getting Oscar Klefbom at 4.16 million for 4 more seasons was the smartest thing Chiarelli ever did.

I donno, that Drai contract is looking pretty sweet. Just wait till you see all these pending RFAs sign for more or much less term.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
No one's mentioned Johnny Gaudreau at 6.75 mil for the next 3 years is a pretty good bargain for the Flames. Had he signed in the last year he'd be 9 million per and maybe more in the final year or so. Not the worst contract and market for the time, but still top 10 to 15 or so IMO.

MacKinnon and then Barkov are probably the winners. The only thing I'd say about MacKinnon is that his actual numbers until the last two years weren't great (and I realize it was some from really bad teams).

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Roman Josi and Elkholm are on very team friendly contracts. I also really like Meiers new contract, SJ really did well signing Labanc and Meier so cheaply. I'll admit I didn't think either would go so cheap even if Labanc was only a year contract.

Reactions: Dr Salt

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I only ever enter best contract threads to mention that Crosby leads the regular season and playoffs in scoring on his current contract, with two Cups/Smythes. While everyone else mentions Roman ****ing Josi. If the Preds and Pens made a Josi/Crosby trade in 2017 (they had the available cap space) y'know who would have a Stanley cup right now? The Nashville Predators. Not sure what people think the Josi deal is the best at, but it's not winning hockey games.

I think there's two ways of looking at it though. The general idea seems to be value per dollar, in which case Josi would be ahead. As good as Crosby is, he isn't twice as good as Josi. And if someone was building a team and could select anyone, ultimately the elite players making little are probably the most valuable. The other way to look at it though is pretty much all the best players making reasonable dollars are the best contracts because on real teams, where you can't just add good players on a whim, there's usually enough dead weight to jettison to make room for the better player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad