best contracts in the league

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Hertl for 5.6
Labanc for 1
Meier for 6 when very similar players are getting 8 and above

Meier's doesn't buy out any years of Free Agency like the others getting 8 and above do. Big difference.

And not sure I'd call 36 points last year and 66 this year is "very similar" to those getting 8 and above. Here are the players from similar draft class (14-15-16) making 8 and above:

McDavid ($12.5M): 3 straight 100+ point seasons - Center
Matthews ($11.6M): 40G/69P as a rookie followed by 63 (62GP) and 73 (68GP) seasons - Center.
Eichel: ($10M): 56, 57 (61 GP), 64 (67 GP), 82 point seasons - Center
Draisaitl ($8.5M): 51, 77, 70, 105P seasons - Winger / Center
Aho ($8.45M): 49, 65 and 83 point seasons - Center

That's the complete list. Which of those do you think are very similar players to Meier?

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Meier's doesn't buy out any years of Free Agency like the others getting 8 and above do. Big difference.

And not sure I'd call 36 points last year and 66 this year is "very similar" to those getting 8 and above. Here are the players from similar draft class (14-15-16) making 8 and above:

McDavid ($12.5M): 3 straight 100+ point seasons - Center
Matthews ($11.6M): 40G/69P as a rookie followed by 63 (62GP) and 73 (68GP) seasons - Center.
Eichel: ($10M): 56, 57 (61 GP), 64 (67 GP), 82 point seasons - Center
Draisaitl ($8.5M): 51, 77, 70, 105P seasons - Winger / Center
Aho ($8.45M): 49, 65 and 83 point seasons - Center

That's the complete list. Which of those do you think are very similar players to Meier?
The ones that are unsigned because they want 8 and above

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
The ones that are unsigned because they want 8 and above

Ok, you said "are getting 8 and above" which is what confused me.

That said, I still don't see it most of the guys getting over 8 (Marner, Rantanen, Point, Tkachuk) as being "very similar" to Meier. And again, those ask prices probably include buying out some UFA years.

themelkman

Always Delivers
Apr 26, 2015
Calgary, Alberta
Ok, you said "are getting 8 and above" which is what confused me.

That said, I still don't see it most of the guys getting over 8 (Marner, Rantanen, Point, Tkachuk) as being "very similar" to Meier. And again, those ask prices probably include buying out some UFA years.
Or walking them directly into UFA.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Or walking them directly into UFA.

I think you could come up with better "best contract" candidates than one based on the hypothetical contracts of his comparables. Not saying Meier's contract isn't good value but it's better than his comparables only in your head and not, at least yet, in reality. You also do realize Meier's contract structure practically walks him straight into UFA?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
It guarantees him a 1 year deal worth $10 mill if he opts to hit ufa at 27.

There’s a reason why rfas have not signed. No one wants to be the next guy on this type of list.

IMO if you believe that you can take your game up another level don’t sign for term. Or if you do don’t give up more than a year of ufa. Mackinnon would be entering his final rfa year this coming season but he signed away 3 additional years.

ProspectsSTC

Jul 12, 2014
What will be the next hot take? I predict within a year he'll call Spurgeon the best defenseman in the NHL

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
i think that a guy who doesnt get talked about enough in the best contract discussion is pavel dats...er, sean couturier. best player in the league for 3 more years at under 4.5 mil per. nathan mackinnon is also brought up a lot in this discussion. what contracts do you think are the best?

Why would you start a thread like this?

If you want to make a thread saying that Sean Couturier is the best player in the NHL, do that.

If you want to make a thread about the best contracts in the NHL, do that.

What you did here is just lazy.

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
Rielly for the Leafs, by far but MacK league wide. Actually, any deal signed 2-3 years ago looks f***ing phenomenal compared to what the kids are asking for now.

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
He doesn't actually watch hockey, he literally just looks at charts to form an opinion. It's sad because he used to be a pretty decent poster with normal opinions but somewhere along the way learned about some obscure advanced stats and forgot everything he'd ever known about hockey.
no, i used to be a cringe poster who thought santini was a #3 dman and dotchin>ekblad.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
no, i used to be a cringe poster who thought santini was a #3 dman and dotchin>ekblad.
Now you're even more cringe considering you think Andrej Kase is one of the 10 best hockey players in the world and Couts is THE best player. I know you're a young kid and I assume you'll grow out of it but I just wish we didn't all have to watch this "I'm the smartest kid in the room" phase.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad