Best case scenario if Pietrangelo walks

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Honestly after thinking about it. The best thing to do is probably beef up the LHD and middle 6 wingers if Pietrangelo leaves. Maybe look at moving Bozak and bringing in Brodie and Hoffman or Dadonov.

Hoffman-RoR-Perron
Schwartz-Schenn-Kyrou

Brodie Parayko
Scandella-Faulk
Dunn/Mikkola-Bortuzzo

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
You have to take into account cash flow. Everyone acts like signing bonuses are easy to do, but we really dont know the cash situation of the Blues. How much capital do they have on hand in July.

Think signing bonuses are bs myself. They are often part of NFL contracts, not those are not guaranteed.
I don't think that signing bonuses are easy, but they are part of the business. A player like Pietrangelo gets signing bonuses, that's the established market.

If Pietrangelo is wanting $900k salary each year and the rest of the contract in signing bonuses? That's one thing. If he's "only" wanting $900k salary and $5m signing bonuses in each of the last three seasons of his deal? I think that should be manageable to do $15m out of $64m-$66m in signing bonuses, particularly in years when League finances should have recovered.

The wildcard is this coming season. I think the NHLPA interpretation of the CBA is correct and the League can't pro-rate salaries if we're looking at less than a 82 game season. It would be helpful if this was already agreed, but it might be that Pietrangelo wants a signing bonus on October 9 as well.

I expect that we'll be offering signing bonuses this weekend, but we'll see.

Last edited:

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Cash flow should have very little to do with a position on signing bonuses. The CBA rules have taken most of the year-to-year variance out of the total compensation. And a team that isn’t financially healthy enough to have a bank line of credit to help them with cask flow variance has much bigger issues than this.

As a season ticket holder myself, I can assure you that even on my 8 month installment plan they have about half of my money by July or so for the coming season, and I expect some of their advertising and commercial account contracts are front loaded as well for reasons such as this.
While the year to year balance may make the math easier to figure, it doesn’t change when clubs receive cash flow. Most seasonal businesses operate at a negative cash flow until well into their season. The Blues of prior years have often said they they didn’t make money till the playoffs or in the playoffs. So their cash flow doesn’t catch up to their expenses till later in the season. So they are already floating money to cover expenses at that point.

We know the Blues are a cap team despite a mid sized market base and funding stream. Ticket prices are also in that mid market size range. While it does make sense that ticket holders have contributed more upfront and therefore the Blues would be cash flowing earlier than a typical, pay as you go, gate revenue would suggest, you still have to remember that they are likely operating in the red as the season starts.

We also have to extrapolate how much influx of cash those initial installments cover. With gate revenue being the majority of revenue for NHL clubs, it makes sense that it takes time to break even.

All these issues are compounded if you are floating salary payments through a loan. The interest you incurred on that loan will take you even longer to break even and make it harder to make a profit.

I think the thing we have to remember is NHL franchises are long term investments. You make real money on the sale. Sure there is money to be made from cash flow on a year to year basis, but the asset accruing long term value is why you are in it from a business standpoint, especially as a mid market team.

It’s really for us to spend other people’s money, but the reality is that most owners expect a well functioning business model to be adhered to.

Whether bonuses are a problem for the Blues financially, it is unclear. But, it’s not hard to see how they could possibly be a problem financially. It you are a large market team, this is much less of an issue. And, when you have multiple players with heavy bonus laden contracts, all of this gets that much harder to manage.

Again, we are taking about millionaires here, so my sympathy level is virtually nothing, but I get the logic of why they would be opposed to bonuses from a financial and even a principled standpoint.

Xanadude

Jun 12, 2018
Ballwin
What about Kyrou and Dunn for Sergachev from Tampa.
No way Kyrou, but Dunn + might do it. Tampa's got a cap crunch and need to move players to bring the band back together. I still think Tyler Johnson is the one that moves to make their cap work, however.

Brockon

Cautiously optimistic realist when caffeinated.
Aug 20, 2017
Northern Canada
Myth ----------- Blues can't contend for Cup without Petro.

Fact ----------- Blues pick up Cap space, gain flexibility, may pick up more Cap space if Tarasenko is out for year. Army will improve team and Berube, the man who toughened up Petro and turned him into a better defenseman, will do the same with the new leadership group on D.

There's one glaring flaw in this logic, which you mention yourself... IF Tarasenko is out for the year.

DA can't spend money unless he knows Tarasenko is out for the year - because LTIR doesn't build cap space, unlike operating below the cap, where unused cap space grows because contracts essentially pro-rate due to the daily salary calculations.

Yes, Steen's NTC expires in February and he could be moved to free up space, IF you find a taker, but DA is limited because he needs to have cap space available to bring Tarasenko back once he's fit to play. An AHL conditioning stint is only going to buy do long to dump cap to bring Tarasenko back if DA has used that additional LTIR money.

I don't expect DA to paint himself into a corner by spending above the cap and banking on Tarasenko's timeline - should the recovery go well and he returns ahead of schedule, DA would be stuck spending prime assets to buy his way out of trouble to remain cap compliant.

Reactions: Bluesguru

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad