Best case scenario if Pietrangelo walks

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
What about the goalie mess? We just got rid of one of the best tandem goalies in the league. Are you still sticking with Husso?

I might sound like broken record again. :nopity:

Well he had many injuries so his curve has flatten. He was par with Saros who is Preds #1 guy now. Difference is that Saros came to NA one year earlier.

It's on Husso can he play NHL level or not. I want to see him play behind our d-core, better d-core what they had in San Antonio. Now he has his chance.

His play style should fit well in our system. Not flashy, but plays calm and makes himself big as possible, good rebound control.

Not at all like Allen played, jumping all over the place, too aggressive. Husso rely on his dmens to take their man out.

Biggest weakness is stick handling.

Yes, I'm sticking on Husso and watch me am I critical about him, no matter how Finnish white he's. Need to see him play first before re-evaluate, where he's at?

I don't know it has to anything about Husso when we talk about Faulk?

We've seen Faulk level. Now we need to found miracle.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016

Well he had many injuries so his curve has flatten. He was par with Saros who is Preds #1 guy now. Difference is that Saros came to NA one year earlier.

It's on Husso can he play NHL level or not. I want to see him play behind our d-core, better d-core what they had in San Antonio. Now he has his chance.

His play style should fit well in our system. Not flashy, but plays calm and makes himself big as possible, good rebound control.

Not at all like Allen played, jumping all over the place, too aggressive. Husso rely on his dmens to take their man out.

Yes, I'm sticking on Husso and watch me am I critical about him, no matter how Finnish white he's. Need to see him play first before re-evaluate, where he's at?

Allen's numbers really weren't bad if you're not a Blues fan.

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014

What if I told you that Husso was the Faulk of goalies.

Would you think better of Faulk or less of Husso?

Red pill or blue pill?

Reactions: Reality Czech

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Allen's numbers really weren't bad if you're not a Blues fan.
Allen was good as back-up goaltender. I would take him back if he had contract ~2mill.$ not 4.350mill.$

Im not Blues fan, what? Your posts are all over the place man.

I don't understand.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
Allen was good as back-up goaltender. I would take him back if he had contract ~2mill.$ not 4.350mill.$

Im not Blues fan, what? Your posts are all over the place man.

I don't understand.
That's not what I meant. I was saying that when you look at Allen's numbers he's not a bad goaltender.

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013
The best case scenario is the only scenario. You blow it up.

I can’t believe they’re seriously letting him go. 7.7 is insulting.

We are a wildcard team at best without Pietrangelo and Allen. We lived with that “let’s be the 12th best team in the league” crap for decades. Just blow it up.

And maybe ask Bill Armstrong if he’d like to be OUR General Manager.

Xanadude

Jun 12, 2018
Ballwin

We are a wildcard team at best without Pietrangelo and Allen. We lived with that “let’s be the 12th best team in the league” crap for decades. Just blow it up.

I suppose it's implied by what you stated, but Binnington's a question mark that could wreck us. The real kicker will be if Tarasenko's career is indeed done, as we all fear it is. Losing your best scoring winger and franchise defenseman and having goaltending go to hell in the same offseason is a monster blow.

The thing is, this roster if Binnington plays well is probably good enough for a playoff berth, maybe a second round exit. I really worry we're going to turn into Anaheim post-2007. After Pronger left for years they were always good, maybe go deep once in a while, never good enough.

Reactions: LetsGoBLUES91

MissouriMook

Still just a Mook among men
Sponsor
Jul 4, 2014

We know nothing for certain about how this went down. Everything that has been made public to this point is from the player’s side. I think we took at face value that his side asking for Josi money was legit, but what if his side was intentionally misrepresenting their demands and he was asking for Doughty or Karlsson money.

We still have to wait until this all plays out to find out the real story. This evening’s announcement doesn’t change that. My guess is that Army offered him Josi money at a shorter term or 8 years at $8M or so and wouldn’t budge when he wanted way more than $9M, 8 years, Full NTC/NMC and lots of signing bonus money. I’m not buying (yet) that Army is going to let him walk because he couldn’t get him cheap. There is going to be way more to it than that.

Reactions: BlueMed

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
The scary thing is not so much losing Petro, the scary thing is that our cupboard of young players coming up to replace vets is nil. Thomas is proven, but he's up for a raise after next season. Kyrou who I thought was going to be a good top 6 player may only be a bottom 6 player, too early to tell, but that clock is ticking. Kostin may not even be NHL quality if he can't get his head on straight. Other than that, who do we have offensive-wise that can make an impact in the next 2-3 years?

Defense-wise, I've given up on Walman as being nothing but an AHL tweener. Mikkola I hope is ready, but not someone who moves the meters. Perunovich is equivalent to Dunn except smaller. Don't know how he will be defensively.

The future is terrifying me unless the Blues start to sell off upcoming UFAs for picks and prospects or try and lure some UFA talent here. This just really feels like 2008-2011 coming at us again. A team that isn't that great, may make the playoffs but never go past the first round.

Prosaic

Sep 11, 2020
upload_2020-9-18_23-7-22.png

If the Blues wanted to retain Pietrangelo, maybe don’t give 6.5M to a replacement level defender? I don’t know, makes sense to me.

Last edited:

ChuckLefley

Jan 5, 2016
Armstrong has had some home run moves in his time with the Blues, but the Faulk extension was a big whiff. Signing him at the expense of losing our franchise defenseman was a terrible decision, unless he already knew Pietrangelo wasn’t coming back.

OEL would be a terrible signing as he makes about what we expecting with Pietrangelo, is only one year younger and it goes until he is 37, which a lot of people say is a negative with a Pietrangelo contract.

Someone mentioned Brodie, but he is a UFA who played 20+ minutes and currently makes $4.65 in cap hit. Obviously that number will go up at least $1m, probably more. He also had a very bad season offensively. It also leaves us with a lot of offensive defensemen who aren’t so great in their own end.

When it comes to showing up the left D, the options are not that great unless you find someone in cap hell. Krug is 29 and will get a big raise. Kulikov is so inconsistent and, for a guy scoring less than 30 points likes to pinch a lot. Dillion is big, but provides no offense, gives away the puck a lot and is negative in goals expected. Everyone else is either very old or very flawed, such as Gustafson, whose defensive numbers are awful.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
Armstrong has had some home run moves in his time with the Blues, but the Faulk extension was a big whiff. Signing him at the expense of losing our franchise defenseman was a terrible decision, unless he already knew Pietrangelo wasn’t coming back.

OEL would be a terrible signing as he makes about what we expecting with Pietrangelo, is only one year younger and it goes until he is 37, which a lot of people say is a negative with a Pietrangelo contract.

Someone mentioned Brodie, but he is a UFA who played 20+ minutes and currently makes $4.65 in cap hit. Obviously that number will go up at least $1m, probably more. He also had a very bad season offensively. It also leaves us with a lot of offensive defensemen who aren’t so great in their own end.

When it comes to showing up the left D, the options are not that great unless you find someone in cap hell. Krug is 29 and will get a big raise. Kulikov is so inconsistent and, for a guy scoring less than 30 points likes to pinch a lot. Dillion is big, but provides no offense, gives away the puck a lot and is negative in goals expected. Everyone else is either very old or very flawed, such as Gustafson, whose defensive numbers are awful.

I think that is probably where we are at. I doubt Petro flat out said he wasn't coming back, but if the chasm between what was being offered and what was being asked is 1.5 mil apart then there's no real option left to sign him. You'd still have to move people, sign the captain, then turn around and have to find replacement players at bargain rates to fill the positions left. We don't even know if Binny is going to be the guy going forward, and we just got rid of the guy that solidified that position when Binny was shitting the bed. Now we've got Husso...He's proven nothing.

Quaz

Mar 15, 2006
St Louis
I think that is probably where we are at. I doubt Petro flat out said he wasn't coming back, but if the chasm between what was being offered and what was being asked is 1.5 mil apart then there's no real option left to sign him. You'd still have to move people, sign the captain, then turn around and have to find replacement players at bargain rates to fill the positions left. We don't even know if Binny is going to be the guy going forward, and we just got rid of the guy that solidified that position when Binny was shitting the bed. Now we've got Husso...He's proven nothing.

I will cut Binnington a break for his play in the bubble. Goalies have their routines and it’s possible he couldn’t get into his under those circumstances. I’m sure he will be fine. Many have forgotten how bad Allen had been for stretches. He had the Blues firmly in last place in 19’. I’m happy they are going to give Husso a chance. It’s time.

TruBlu

Feb 7, 2016
I will cut Binnington a break for his play in the bubble. Goalies have their routines and it’s possible he couldn’t get into his under those circumstances. I’m sure he will be fine. Many have forgotten how bad Allen had been for stretches. He had the Blues firmly in last place in 19’. I’m happy they are going to give Husso a chance. It’s time.

Binny had problems outside of the bubble this season as well. Allen had his faults, but he was here for a long time. Binny hasn't spent a long time here to be able to say one way or another. Allen's career numbers weren't bad. Now that Binny has a season under his belt opposing teams have had an opportunity to expose him. I hope Husso works out, but he's not taken the normal route of improvement to have that level of confidence.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
On the plus side, without Petro, our GAA will probably go up a bit, and thus Binnington's stats will suffer slightly. That may allow him to be slightly cheaper during his contract negotiations.

Give me that, I'm trying to make a purse from a sows ear here :help:

Quaz

Mar 15, 2006
St Louis
Binny had problems outside of the bubble this season as well. Allen had his faults, but he was here for a long time. Binny hasn't spent a long time here to be able to say one way or another. Allen's career numbers weren't bad. Now that Binny has a season under his belt opposing teams have had an opportunity to expose him. I hope Husso works out, but he's not taken the normal route of improvement to have that level of confidence.
I agree with you that Binny wasn't as good last year as he was in 19", but that bar was set very high. While Allen did rebound and have a good year last year, they need to find out what they have in Husso. It will be interesting to see who they bring in on a 2-way to share the next in the AHL with Hofer. I guess that is if they have an AHL season.

Reactions: TruBlu

DeuceNine

Like You Read About
Aug 6, 2006
Stymieville
The team without Pietrangelo and a mangled Tarasenko isn't contending..

I'm not so sure regarding Tank. We did fine for long stretches without him. I feel like at times when he's out there, he has the "Hull effect" where everyone's trying to set him up, and opposing D is focusing on him. We have (perception here) a more balanced attack when he's out of the lineup.

As for Petro, we'll need to find at least a #2 (OEL) or something to help shore up the back end. I like Perunovich's promise, but doubt that will have any impact next year. If Binner plays like pre-bubble 50, that will help immensely.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
I'm not so sure regarding Tank. We did fine for long stretches without him. I feel like at times when he's out there, he has the "Hull effect" where everyone's trying to set him up, and opposing D is focusing on him. We have (perception here) a more balanced attack when he's out of the lineup.

As for Petro, we'll need to find at least a #2 (OEL) or something to help shore up the back end. I like Perunovich's promise, but doubt that will have any impact next year. If Binner plays like pre-bubble 50, that will help immensely.
Eh, I agree to an extent that the Blues can get by in a season without Tarasenko. They were in the top half of the league for 5-on-5 offense, but it required multiple guys either setting, matching, or on pace to, hit career highs in goals. My point is without Tarasenko, I don't see how this forward group is at all near good enough to actually contend for a cup (barring a major and unexpected leap from Kyrou/Sanford/Kostin). There are only a handful of defenseman in the league that impact the game like Pietrangelo and there are only a handful of players in the league as good at scoring goals as Tarasenko. Losing both slams the window and the Blues become Nashville/Minnesota/Calgary.

Reactions: TK 421 and Vollie27

CaliforniaBlues310

Apr 9, 2013
San Pedro, CA.
Best case scenario if we lose him, is if we can move Dunn+ and acquire a LHD that can put up some points and play on the top pairing with Parayko.

I’d personally be fine taking on a change of scenery guy like OEL, or just another guy in the same tier as him.

OEL/TBD-Parayko
Scandella-Faulk
Mikkola-Bortuzzo
Gunnarsson

Our pairings would be much more balanced, and I think our window would still be open.

Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Best case scenario if we lose him, is if we can move Dunn+ and acquire a LHD that can put up some points and play on the top pairing with Parayko.

I’d personally be fine taking on a change of scenery guy like OEL, or just another guy in the same tier as him.

OEL/TBD-Parayko
Scandella-Faulk
Mikkola-Bortuzzo
Gunnarsson

Our pairings would be much more balanced, and I think our window would still be open.
Nearly $58mm is a huge gamble that change of scenery will boost OEL.

Reactions: MissouriMook

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad