OT: Best Burgers In Vancouver? Episode II, Attack Of The Pickles

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
The best burger in Vancouver is made at your house!

This is the recipe for my buddy's burger that won best burger in the world at the World Food Championships. A big competition.

I have made this burger from his recipe and for someone not great at cooking - mind blown.

http://www.cfox.com/2015/11/12/check-out-the-recipe-for-rustys-wold-champion-burger/

Follow Rusty on the medias:

https://www.facebook.com/Rustys-BBQ-1478434939061137/?fref=ts

https://twitter.com/Rustys_bbq

wow. i started giration/convulsion

Hi-wayman

Feb 28, 2002
Surrey
Visit site
Does anybody remember Rodeo Drive-in? I used to go there when I'd play hockey or baseball in Surrey. They were my favorite burgers and milkshakes.
I really liked the shakes there, but now the Big Ridge pub at least js at that location so it's still got a great place to eat. Love their Friday evening menu.

My favourite burger though was the White Spot garbage burger at their New West drive in location. Special order only - not on their menu but ordered often enough that the staff knew how to make it without asking how. Denny's made a burger last year some what similar but still lacking.

FroshaugFan2

Dec 7, 2006
yeah i went there and ordered just a regular cheeseburger. they try really hard to be like in-n-out, but the quality isn't really there. They overload on lettuce and have a pretty small patty. Also really pricey for a smallish burger.

Agree with all this. Also the bun is too big and dry.

Campagnolo apparently has the one of the best burgers in the city. Not even on the menu, they make a limited amount each day so get there early if you want one.

It's only available upstairs, and yeah, it's probably my favourite burger in Vancouver. It's extremely simple, but fantastic.

Some others I like are Five Guys and To Dine For for casual places and Pourhouse and Hawksworth for more high end.

Burr08

Mar 5, 2014
Any good burger places in or around Surrey?

There's never anything good here :(

e/ Other than Vera's

Five Guys in South Surrey, and make sure so get the Cajan Fries too. BY FAR the best burger Ive had locally.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Five Guys in South Surrey, and make sure so get the Cajan Fries too. BY FAR the best burger Ive had locally.

I would agree, Five Guys is the best burger chain around easily. I found Vera's extremely disappointing.

But beware, the "Little" burger is actually a normal sized burger, and a "small" fries actually feeds 2+ people.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Has anyone tried mooyah? I like it but it's pretty expensive compared to a similar 5 guys. Vera's still takes the cake for me though.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
I would agree, Five Guys is the best burger chain around easily. I found Vera's extremely disappointing.

But beware, the "Little" burger is actually a normal sized burger, and a "small" fries actually feeds 2+ people.

YMMV.

I usually get a lot of fries when I go, regardless of whether I order the little fries (actually I've only ever ordered the little thanks to a tip from friends). But last two trips I've left disappointed as they just seem to grab a handful where they have usually used a scoop sized amount of fries.

Yeah, the little is a single patty burger, not a slider like I thought the first time I went. The regular is double patty. Though, if you are a straight beast double patty is the way to go. I'm a fatty so works for me lol.

FWIW, this is how I rank the Burger chains (Haven't been to Vera's yet, though so here we go)

Five Guys - simply the best
Fatburger (haven't been in awhile, who knows?)
Burger Heaven - damn good, huge portions
White Spot/Triple O's - classic, the buns complete the burger
A&W - also a classic, has a toasy texture albeit a bit salty patty
Dairy Queen - their pickles in conjucture with their patty game is strong
Red Robin - I really like their bread, and the variety is awesome
Carl's Jr. - Middle of the road, variety is what puts them up
McDonald's - Nostalgia purposes mostly, Big Mac is hard to give up on, I wouldn't order much else, their QP disappoints me
Harvey's - Even when burgers suck, they are OK
Wendy's - But dryness is hard to combat, and Wendy's is really hit or miss here, the cheese really keeps it afloat
Burger King - What happened to them, man? Jeez. Everything is dry. Even the lettuce.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
Just to throw a different name into the mix tomahawk diner in North Van makes some good burgers, kind of pricey and the fries are whatever though

Everyone that goes to Uli's in White Rock seem to love it as wel

Last edited:

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
YMMV.

I usually get a lot of fries when I go, regardless of whether I order the little fries (actually I've only ever ordered the little thanks to a tip from friends). But last two trips I've left disappointed as they just seem to grab a handful where they have usually used a scoop sized amount of fries.

Yeah, the little is a single patty burger, not a slider like I thought the first time I went. The regular is double patty. Though, if you are a straight beast double patty is the way to go. I'm a fatty so works for me lol.

FWIW, this is how I rank the Burger chains (Haven't been to Vera's yet, though so here we go)

McDonald's - Nostalgia purposes mostly, Big Mac is hard to give up on, I wouldn't order much else, their QP disappoints me
Wendy's - But dryness is hard to combat, and Wendy's is really hit or miss here, the cheese really keeps it afloat
Burger King - What happened to them, man? Jeez. Everything is dry. Even the lettuce.

nice list man enjoyed it

i do find though it really depends on the locatin you go to.

some places have a guy working their who takes pride and isnt on hi phone or whatever.

burger king is usually killer for me

while the 5 guys on robson sucked

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
YMMV.

Nice list, I agree with most of the ones I've been to.

Haven't had Dairy Queen, Wendy's or Burger King in a long time so I can't comment.

McDonald's has really gone downhill over the last year+ for me. I used to crave it once a week and be thoroughly satisfied every time but the last few times I had it, it was gross. Probably 3-4 times this years max, when before it was 3-4 times a month. The bread is more cardboardy than ever, the patties are getting smaller and smaller and the fries are always oily and overcooked.

Don't know why so many people love Red Robin's. It's not bad, but for a burger place it's nothing special. The quality and price isn't any different than a burger you'd get at any other sit-down restaurant, IMO. I would put it ahead of any fast-food place, though.

A&W's Teen Burger gives you the best bang for your buck when they have coupons out. $6 for 2 Teen Burgers is pretty great for a fast-food place.

I liked Harvey's but the only one in Surrey was replaced by a Subway -_-

I'll have to try Five Guy's, Fatburger and Burger Heaven. None are exactly close to me, about 20 minute drive for each assuming no traffic. Every time I've been near one of these, I've opted for something else.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
The chicken buddy burger from a&w reminds me of a chicken version of a white Castle slider. Just saying.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012

Of those, I would knock A&W down a bunch. They used to be my favorite in town as a kid or teen (pun intended) but lately they make me feel sick afterwards as much or more as McDonalds.

Wendy's beef burgers are so extremely salty, though I enjoy the JBC. I only get their Chicken Burgers now though, they are the best of all drive-thrus.

Dairy Queen tastes like they heat them up in the microwave.

Triple O's are usually top notch though.

KillerWhale

Nov 8, 2008
New Westminster
from the places i've tried, in order, off recent memory..

splitz
burgers etc
five guys
burger heaven
romers
veras
a&w
fatburger
triple os
wendys
harveys
red robin
carls jr
mcdonalds
burger king
dairy queen

i didn't include places like cactus club, browns etc. just to keep things simple and burger specific, although i'll give the alibi rooms burger a mention, it was excellent the time i had it

KillerWhale

Nov 8, 2008
New Westminster
i'll give a mention to 'it char' in new westminster too.. if you're ever in royal square mall (probably only for bc liquor or safeway) give the it char burger a shot

Samzilla

Prust & Dorsett are
Apr 2, 2011
the only place i know in vancouver that gives the option to cook your burger medium rare.

the broadway one shut down apparently :-( (so i heard from a friend at my old work)

...now it's at the SFU campus.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
Thanks guys! I seriously put a lot of thought into that. :laugh:

Of those, I would knock A&W down a bunch. They used to be my favorite in town as a kid or teen (pun intended) but lately they make me feel sick afterwards as much or more as McDonalds.

Wendy's beef burgers are so extremely salty, though I enjoy the JBC. I only get their Chicken Burgers now though, they are the best of all drive-thrus.

Dairy Queen tastes like they heat them up in the microwave.

Triple O's are usually top notch though.

My complaint with Wendys is dryness. Really not a juicy burger, though everything else makes it and the cheese is awesome. Seriously, the juiciest thing should be the tomato, but ****.

DQ, havent had in a long time, but they always killed. Maybe bias because I think of them as ice cream primarily, their burgers were always good. Ketchup and mustard ratio and tastiness killed in conjunction with the pickle game.

Agree on 3o's though.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3