Best and Worst Skaters in Leafs history ....

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Ken Yaremchuk and Gary Leeman

Kurt Walker and Dan "Snowshoes" Maloney. Honorable mention to Jason "the Statue" Allison.

Yaremchuk! Geez you guys are bringing me back to the days when I used to attend a lot of AHL games. James, Degray, Yaremchuk.....

Actually a couple months ago I found a puck I caught that Yaremchuk shot over the glass. I used to always record with a marker and piece of tape who shot them.

Reactions: Teeder Keon

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
Yaremchuk! Geez you guys are bringing me back to the days when I used to attend a lot of AHL games. James, Degray, Yaremchuk.....

Actually a couple months ago I found a puck I caught that Yaremchuk shot over the glass. I used to always record with a marker and piece of tape who shot them.
Mike Gartner best
Brian glennie worst

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
Straight line Kapanen takes some beating and Dermott has awesome 4 way mobility of the current team

I loved Berard as well when I was younger, I remember him being a strong all around skater

For bad Allison takes some beating over the 35 years I've been following the team

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
Mats Sundin is still my favourite. Here is a guy who carried himself with top notch class and professionalism. Not to mention he scored a ton of clutch goals. Amazingly consistent year to year, durable. Never complained. Made guys around him better. Just a great player.

EDIT: oops, this is about skaters as in actual skating skills. I thought it was about skaters as in players who are not goalies. My bad.

baton elevated

One Man Gang
Jun 4, 2009
Salming was a great skater too. If it wasn't for the favoritism bestowed on Larry Robinson (who couldn't hold a candle to Borje skating wise). Salming would have won a Norris.

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
Mike Gartner is the best

Allison is the worst over James because Allison was actually a hockey player that somehow scored 30 or 40 goals a couple of times.
Allison scored 60 points in 66 games with the Leafs actually . He may not have been fast, but in 8 seasons he managed to get reach 40+ assists 5 times(4 of those above 50). I suppose his passing abilities was what kept him in the league. I vaguely remember Jason Allison myself if I'm being honest so I can't say how he played but those numbers don't lie

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Allison scored 60 points in 66 games with the Leafs actually . He may not have been fast, but in 8 seasons he managed to get reach 40+ assists 5 times(4 of those above 50). I suppose his passing abilities was what kept him in the league. I vaguely remember Jason Allison myself if I'm being honest so I can't say how he played but those numbers don't lie

Yep. He played like the kid with terrific hands that didn’t have skates with him one day and had to play pond hockey in his boots.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I'm quite surprised that Borje Salming is only mentioned three times.

I understand Sundin, because there is still a lot of bitterness about how he left.

For me, Salming and Keon have to top the list. Honorable mention to, in no particular order, Sundin, Horton (terrific skater), Courtnall (fast, but so-so puck handler), Mogilny, and Kaberle.

Worst are the two players nicknamed 'snowshoes': Dan Maloney and Allen Stanley. Dishonorable mention to Andreychuk and Phaneuf.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
One of the worst skaters was Dan Maloney

Two of the best are Kappy and Dermott. Paul Henderson told us that Keon was a great skater and how he came into training camp flying.

Dave Keon would be my nomination. He's my fav player all time. Shout out to Eddie Shack.

Reactions: ToneDog

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad