Best and Worst Skaters in Leafs history ....

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Mike Gartner is the best

Allison is the worst over James because Allison was actually a hockey player that somehow scored 30 or 40 goals a couple of times.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Dale DeGray -

LOL. Another good old name. He's another guy I remember but moreso because I never saw anyone with such straight posture while he skated. Not something you would normally notice but it stood out.

On Allison, it was always weird because he was painfully slow but it was truly amazing how the puck stuck with him....always.

Reactions: 67leafs

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Jim McKenny could be on either list
the originator of the dreaded flamingo shot block.

upload_2019-11-5_9-5-20.jpeg

Jackson14

Feb 23, 2013
Sorry if already said but John Tavares.

Also Jason Allison whom Tavares skating reminds me of.

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Ken Yaremchuk and Gary Leeman

Kurt Walker and Dan "Snowshoes" Maloney. Honorable mention to Jason "the Statue" Allison.

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
The Val James reference makes me laugh -- the only player selected in the 16th round of his draft year and a miracle he played in the NHL at all -- but Jason Allison is the one that sticks out in my mind. Somehow the game sped up around him and he couldn't speed up with it. Nice scoring touch, though!

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Mike Walton
Jim McKenney
Borje Salming
Mike Gartner
Alexander Mogilny
Jake Gardiner
Morgan Reilly
Russ Courtnall
Gary Leeman
Mitch Marner
Kasperi Kapanen
Tim Horton
Dave Keon
Darryl Sittler
Mats Sundin

No opinion on who was the best, but these are some of the strong Leafs skaters that come to mind for me -- not necessarily the fastest, but fast enough, agile, and strong.

Brian Leetch too, but not as a Leaf.

Reactions: Teeder Keon

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I love this topic.

______

Was Eddie Shack the best skater? The guy did figure skating flying checks no?

Is it true that he was taught figure skating to improve his skating in the NHL or is that a myth?

fbalmeida

Feb 14, 2009
Braga, Portugal
Among the players I've seen:

Best:
  • Mike Gartner
  • Glenn Anderson
  • Mogilny, praised be his name.
  • Phil Kessel
  • Gilmour had that low centre of gravity.
Worst:
  • Larry Murphy - Sure, he was a wizard moving the puck along, but when he had to handle it himself or skate, it was difficult to tell if he was just about to come to a complete halt or if he intended to keep on moving.

AreBe

This is the Real Are Be and not a Burner account!
Apr 1, 2013
Worst skaters- The Good Canadian Kids, heroes to Leafs Nation, Patrick O'Thuggo, the Box Brothers, and the living saints according to Moron Man: Tough guys. Hard hitting guys. Guys that knew that when you have the lead in the third period of the playoff game that that is the time to start taking penalties, and if things go the American Association of US Ice Hockey Team's way, you give the American Association a good reason to call another penalty in overtime.

Best skaters: Ivan Svesky. European speed demons. Hated, loathed and detested by Leafs Nation. Great draft picks chosen by Dubass. Moron Man can't trade them out fast enough while some sucker will still get us some grizzled veteran with torn ACLs who can teach the kids how to sit in the box and be a player coach, teaching the kids what is takes to get the refs to really hate you, and put the AAUSIHT to the test with the "they cannot call everything" theory, especially if playing for a team in the Canadian Branch Plant Division.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Worst skaters- The Good Canadian Kids, heroes to Leafs Nation, Patrick O'Thuggo, the Box Brothers, and the living saints according to Moron Man: Tough guys. Hard hitting guys. Guys that knew that when you have the lead in the third period of the playoff game that that is the time to start taking penalties, and if things go the American Association of US Ice Hockey Team's way, you give the American Association a good reason to call another penalty in overtime.

Best skaters: Ivan Svesky. European speed demons. Hated, loathed and detested by Leafs Nation. Great draft picks chosen by Dubass. Moron Man can't trade them out fast enough while some sucker will still get us some grizzled veteran with torn ACLs who can teach the kids how to sit in the box and be a player coach, teaching the kids what is takes to get the refs to really hate you, and put the AAUSIHT to the test with the "they cannot call everything" theory, especially if playing for a team in the Canadian Branch Plant Division.

upload_2019-11-5_10-53-29.jpeg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad