Music: Best album of 2017

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
Have you never listened to other stuff by them? Listen to Sound of Silver.

Just finished .

What an experience , pure ear candy .

I think I like that more than American dream, the last two minutes of the title track are something else. Love the cowbell. I need to get this on vinyl .

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Just finished .

What an experience , pure ear candy .

I think I like that more than American dream, the last two minutes of the title track are something else. Love the cowbell. I need to get this on vinyl .

Sound of Silver was the only album of his I liked before American Dream rolled along. My initial thought while listening to American Dream was "man, this would be on a similar level to Sound of Silver if it had an album-defining song like 'All My Friends' or 'New York I Love You But You're Bringing Me Down.'" And then suddenly "Call the Police" and "American Dream" started. The albums are at similar levels for me. I'm not like head-over-heels infatuated with them, but they're damn solid.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Once again I've been slacking off in terms of new releases, my favorite of the year so far is Satan's Hallow's self-titled debut album.

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
Sound of Silver was the only album of his I liked before American Dream rolled along. My initial thought while listening to American Dream was "man, this would be on a similar level to Sound of Silver if it had an album-defining song like 'All My Friends' or 'New York I Love You But You're Bringing Me Down.'" And then suddenly "Call the Police" and "American Dream" started. The albums are at similar levels for me. I'm not like head-over-heels infatuated with them, but they're damn solid.

Yeah I've only skimmed them before , never really listening. Is "this is happening " not as good ?

Have a long drive ahead of me today and will listen .

TJ Hooker

May 25, 2017
Didn't love The National album on first listen. It was playing in the background while I did some work today, but didn't have really any standout tracks to me. Will give it a more serious listen tomorrow.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Didn't love The National album on first listen. It was playing in the background while I did some work today, but didn't have really any standout tracks to me. Will give it a more serious listen tomorrow.

I've liked the singles except I hate the little guitar blasts in "the system dreams..."

But you're right in that I think it will be a solid album without those stand out songs that they are known for.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Sleep Well Beast has gotten rave reviews at the places I've looked. High Violet and Trouble Will Find Me didn't instantly hook me like all of their other albums did but they grew on me. Especially TWFM.

Thucydides

Dec 24, 2009
Sleep Well Beast has gotten rave reviews at the places I've looked. High Violet and Trouble Will Find Me didn't instantly hook me like all of their other albums did but they grew on me. Especially TWFM.

Yeah I find their albums are growers . Carin at the liquor store is my favourite from the singles released . Pumped to listen .

DeYarmond Edison

drinkingpinkrabbits
Apr 10, 2011
Bored in the USA
Sleep Well Beast is ****ing incredible. It's like they mixed the best parts of TWFM and Boxer and put them into one album.

Not sure it will ever surpass TWFM because that record means so much to me but it's certainly my AOTY. Even after just a few listens.

DeYarmond Edison

drinkingpinkrabbits
Apr 10, 2011
Bored in the USA
The piano all over this record is fantastic. Super tasteful use of synths too.

The singles were p e r f e c t l y placed throughout the album.. Like.. what the ****? how?

What a band.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Sleep Well Beast is treating me nicely on the first listen. Not on an Alligator/Boxer level for me (at least, not yet), but it very well could get there.

DeYarmond Edison

drinkingpinkrabbits
Apr 10, 2011
Bored in the USA
I'm going to Montreal in December to see them live.

Anyone else see them before or planning to?

Saw them close out the first Eaux Claires fest in 2015 (It's Aaaron Dessner and Justin Vernon's fest) before I was a huge fan.

Very excited to see them again next month having listened to no band more over the past year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad