Beside Crosby , who are the can't miss prospect in the 2005-2006 draft ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Pucks

Mar 6, 2002
Visit site
Crosbyfan said:
Do you think Brule will draft ahead of Latendresse come draft time? Personally I don't think so basically due to:

1. The NHL game favours larger players
2. Their offensive stats are roughly equal (at least until you factor in a Q vs WHL 10 or 15% extra scoring
3. +/- stats favour Latendresse even if you compare them only relative to their teammates (Brule's were average while Latendresse lead his team as a rookie)
4. Latendresse is almost half a year youger (5 months)
5. Latendresse was second on his team in hits (behind a defenceman) again as a rookie

That being said Brule was chosen rookie of the year in the CHL and not Latendresse so I think we can assume intangibles (not statistics) made up the difference.

So the question remains; Will Brule still be better a year from now AND by enough to make up the difference in size and age to be drafted ahead of Latendresse?

One HUGE factor your not mentioning, scouts look at the players, not the stats. They scout, otherwise everybody could make the picks from the sports section of the newspaper.

Brule is a special player.

gretzky1545

Jun 8, 2004
can someone combine the 2004 and 2005 drafts and give us a picture of what the first round would look like if the prospects from both years were in one draft. I just want to get a sense of how you guys feel on the prospects next year compared to this years prospects.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
The Pucks said:
One HUGE factor your not mentioning, scouts look at the players, not the stats. They scout, otherwise everybody could make the picks from the sports section of the newspaper.

Brule is a special player.

As I said:

"so I think we can assume intangibles (not statistics) made up the difference."

No doubt Brule is a special player. His stats are solid but he is rated higher than his stats alone would indicate. Compare Bryan Little who has similar stats and size but is almost a year younger. I do wonder if Brule's Jan 1, birthdate making him an 87 "projects" him higher than if he had been born 24 hrs earlier and been an 86. He would then not be eligible for the U18 team. I just read in another thread what a well rounded 16 year old he is. He's been 17 for 6 months. Of course Canada's current U18 roster is full of early 87s. I'm sure they are the best available, in part because they are older.

Newfie Bruin

Apr 30, 2003
NL
Visit site
moosefan said:
Newfie Bruin said:
here was my list in a previous thread about the 05 Draft? Opinions?

my opinion is that :
27. Jack Skille, LW, US Under 18 Team
way to high for him, has talent but this draft is so high skilled that I think he will slip to mid first round.

33. Brock Bradford, C, (BCJHL)
IMO alot of people like him, and I seen him play as well and he has great skill, but he is too small in the sense that he doesn't have much strength, if he wasn't on Brules line at the U17s he would not have had the points he had, too many times he was pushed off the puck and taken out of the play very easy, I think he will still be a 2nd rounder based on talent but I would say around 50-60 range.

34. Nick Drazenovic, C, Prince George (WHL)
I think this guy goes 1st round, he is just great to watch.

42. Denis Istomin, F, Russia
Possibly on the of the most exciting and best offensive players in the draft. This guy IMO will be a top 20 pick, seen him and he has electric moves with great vision, passing, scoring, one of my favs to watch at the U17s along with Christoph Gawlick.

For Jack Skille,did you mean second round or first?? Many people had him in their Top 20 but i am just not that high on him. Who do you think is a better player Istomin or Russian teamate Alex Sopin?

Last edited:

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Newfie Bruin said:
For Jack Skille,did you mean second round or first?? Many people had him in their Top 20 but i am just not that high on him. Who do you think is a better player Istomin or Russian teamate Alex Sopin?

I ment mid 2nd round for Skille, he just doesn't do it for me, I think he is overrated myself.

With Sopin and Istomin, Istomin hands down, he is more electric plays with more confidence, reminds me a bit of play style of Zherdev but he is more of a team player than zherdev. Sopin has the better shot and is ultra talented but he lacks confidence on the ice and has trouble getting open and getting into scoring position, but Sopins shot and accuracy and passing are all top notch, but Istomin is ahead of Sopin by far IMO.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
monster_bertuzzi said:
25 goals in 65 games for Brule. Not bad considering the WHL has the lowest goals-per-game average of the CHL leagues.

The average WHL game compared to the QMJHL has .3 less goals per game for both teams combined.

That is 1 goal every 3 games.

The Q isnt run and gun anymore.

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
Compare the top few teams, La-la-Laprise.

While the scoring is similar amongst the 'chaff' of each league, the top teams in the WHL trap their heads off, whereas you don't see that quite as much in the Q. Not to mention the Dub & OHL are catching up to the Q in terms of goaltending.

Funny thing about Brule, I think he actually had a pretty poor year offensively. I am expecting him to pass 100 points next season, perhaps lead the WHL in points & goals.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
Jay Thompson said:
I have heard this kid compared to a slower version of Peter Forsberg. EDIT: He's 2006! That makes sense, I read that some people thought he could go #1, I was really wowed because I hadn't known how good he was in relation to some of the 2005 top picks.

I have seen Gilbert Brule play, and he is positively the best 16-17 year old kid I've ever seen play .. and yes, I saw Crosby at the World Junior's & the QMJHL Remax Challenge game. I have written a profile for Brule that should be up sometime soon on HF.
HILARIOUS!

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Jay Thompson said:
Compare the top few teams, La-la-Laprise.

While the scoring is similar amongst the 'chaff' of each league, the top teams in the WHL trap their heads off, whereas you don't see that quite as much in the Q. Not to mention the Dub & OHL are catching up to the Q in terms of goaltending.

Funny thing about Brule, I think he actually had a pretty poor year offensively. I am expecting him to pass 100 points next season, perhaps lead the WHL in points & goals.

Scoring is WAY down in the Q. Only 2 players above 50 goals this year and only a couple above 100 pts.

The Q WAS run and gun a decade ago but look at how the scoring has droped. Leading scorer in 02/03 had 106 pts. Crosby only had 135...if he was playing 5-8 years ago he'd have Richards/Gamache type numbers.

True the defensive play in the QMJHL isnt as good, but the goalies make up for most of the lapses and that pretty much evens out all 3 leagues in terms of goals.

Kugel

Oct 16, 2003
Ontario, Canada
can someone give me some info on these russian players......Gennady Churilov, Igor Zharkov and Vyacheslav Buravchikov. like where they play, what position, how good are they, etc?

Kugel

Oct 16, 2003
Ontario, Canada
if the 05 draft is so much better than the 04 draft, why arent brule, bertham, etc invited to canada's world junior team tryouts and not the under 18's?

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
Kugel said:
if the 05 draft is so much better than the 04 draft, why arent brule, bertham, etc invited to canada's world junior team tryouts and not the under 18's?

I don't remember a canadian player from this year's draft invited to the WJC tryouts. Usually they don't invite 17 year olds for the summer tryout,they're gauging the talent pool. It's also going to be terribly hard as a lot of '85 born players will beon the roster.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Leachmeister2000 said:
I don't remember a canadian player from this year's draft invited to the WJC tryouts. Usually they don't invite 17 year olds for the summer tryout,they're gauging the talent pool. It's also going to be terribly hard as a lot of '85 born players will beon the roster.
Zajac was :) Go New Jersey

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Kugel said:

Because Canada doesnt invite younger players, to the Summer camp.

Crosby wasnt invited to the Summer camp.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
If there is no NHL next year I expect the roster to be the following:
Carter (NHL)
Richards
Crosby
Getzlaf (NHL)
Ladd (NHL)
Perry
Fehr
Stewart (nhl)