Beside Crosby , who are the can't miss prospect in the 2005-2006 draft ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Crosbyfan said:
Do you think Brule will draft ahead of Latendresse come draft time? Personally I don't think so basically due to:

1. The NHL game favours larger players
2. Their offensive stats are roughly equal (at least until you factor in a Q vs WHL 10 or 15% extra scoring
3. +/- stats favour Latendresse even if you compare them only relative to their teammates (Brule's were average while Latendresse lead his team as a rookie)
4. Latendresse is almost half a year youger (5 months)
5. Latendresse was second on his team in hits (behind a defenceman) again as a rookie

That being said Brule was chosen rookie of the year in the CHL and not Latendresse so I think we can assume intangibles (not statistics) made up the difference.

So the question remains; Will Brule still be better a year from now AND by enough to make up the difference in size and age to be drafted ahead of Latendresse?

I'm not sure what Guillame's ice-time was like, but I can tell you that Brule got 2nd-line minutes. As for size, Brule is about 5'11'' 170 pounds and obviously still growing, I doubt the scouts will take size into effect here. And lastly, you mentioned stats, its much, much harder to put up #'s in the WHL.

W Jets fan

Jun 14, 2004
Crosbyfan said:
Do you think Brule will draft ahead of Latendresse come draft time? Personally I don't think so basically due to:

1. The NHL game favours larger players
2. Their offensive stats are roughly equal (at least until you factor in a Q vs WHL 10 or 15% extra scoring
3. +/- stats favour Latendresse even if you compare them only relative to their teammates (Brule's were average while Latendresse lead his team as a rookie)
4. Latendresse is almost half a year youger (5 months)
5. Latendresse was second on his team in hits (behind a defenceman) again as a rookie

That being said Brule was chosen rookie of the year in the CHL and not Latendresse so I think we can assume intangibles (not statistics) made up the difference.

So the question remains; Will Brule still be better a year from now AND by enough to make up the difference in size and age to be drafted ahead of Latendresse?

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
OneSpeedOnly said:
Looks nice, wonder when the last time was the OHL didn't havea player in the top 15?

You'd have to go as far back as 1986 and the first player selected from the OHL was taratatam...Ken Mcrae at #18. One hell of a career he's had. This year's draft came close as only Valabik was chosen in the top 15. He probably shouldnt have been anyway.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
monster_bertuzzi said:
I'm not sure what Guillame's ice-time was like, but I can tell you that Brule got 2nd-line minutes. As for size, Brule is about 5'11'' 170 pounds and obviously still growing, I doubt the scouts will take size into effect here. And lastly, you mentioned stats, its much, much harder to put up #'s in the WHL.

If Brule "obviously still grows" and puts on a few pounds I think that will help for sure, but I doubt the scouts will ignore Latendresse's size 6'2, 215 pounds and possibly still growing himself. Did you notice the average size of the players taken in the first round this year?

As for the "much, much harder to put up #'s" I think you are overstateing your case. Drummondville averaged 3.00 goals per game (210 in 70 games) to Vancouver's 2.99 (215 in 72). The W is certainly lower scoring than the Q overall and that should be factord in but the difference is not as great as some people suggest. Also the +/- stat compared to teammates is still valid.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Panda Bear said:
Brule was rookie of the yr. for the WHL not the CHL :shakehead

OOPS, I was thinking second overall behind Sid, but I'm not sure if I even have that right. :shakehead

My point is that the scouts still feel Brule is the better player at this time although I think that will change come draft time.

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
I think we have to wait and see about Brule/Latendresse. Adam Pineault was considered pretty good at this point last year, but fell far.

A lot may depend on who is picking second. What is one of the Finnish defensemen, or Anikeenko, or even someone like Raask really improves their stock, and there's no consensus number 2?

I think it's just a little premature to discuss who will go where. We will have to wait and see what happens after the attention is fully focused on these guys.

With that said, Brule is one guy I am really hoping the Pens end up with. :D

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
OneSpeedOnly said:
Top OHL guys: No particular order

Bobby Ryan
Matt Lashoff
Marc Staal
Deveraux Heshmatpour
Daniel Ryder
Bryan Little(05/06?)

If Bryan Little was 2005 eligible, would he be up there with Brule, Bertram, Cogliano, etc.??? 34 goals as a 16 yr old is pretty damn impressive! I would guess his 34g's was behind only Crosby for 16 yr olds this past season?? I know it was like 10 or so better than Brule, who is pretty damn talented offensively himself!

Since Little falls to the 2006 Draft, is he on par or better than Phil Kessel out of the States??

CH Wizard

What about Sergei Kastsitsyn does he is first round material or second or he will be picked in late rounds ???

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
I would have to think Anikeenko or Rask could go as high as #2. Brule is certainly good, but unless Vitaly and Tuukka go downhill they are the typical players that teams trade up for in a draft.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I usually side with the smaller talent, because it is my belief that a truly talented smaller player with heart and determination will never let up, while a bigger talented player has a tendency to become more complacent. Naturally, this is a broad generalization and there are countless examples to counter my claim, by I tend to not brush smaller players to the curb (the way many NHL scouts do). Also, it's not always easy to spot amazing talent in bigger players...often they just use physical superiority to get by in the lower ranks (CHL, NCAA, etc.).

That said, I was very impressed with Guillaume Latendresse in the only game I saw him play live this past season. Granted, it's only one game, but he definitely showed something. It was a late-season matchup between Crosby's Oceanic and Latendresse's Voltigeurs. You could tell the kid (Latendresse) wanted to put on a show for the scouts drooling over Crosby. And he did, he was the game's first star and for one night only stole Crosby's spotlight.

What that tells me is that he (Latendresse) doesn't want to go quietly. He knows Crosby's going No. 1 and Brule et al might go No. 2 but he wants to be in the team picture as well. As for his physical gifts, there are many. While he doesn't look like a player that will go out of his way for the massive hit, he does a number of things very well with his size. In fact, his player bio stated that Todd Bertuzzi was his favorite player and it's understandable watching him play. Latendresse seems capable of playing on either wing, and he can really dangle with the puck. He's very creative, too. He'll score a lot of goals in the NHL but I wouldn't be surpised if he has more assists than goals...the way Bertuzzi does from time to time.

Now, here's hoping he doesn't emulate Bertuzzi COMPLETELY, if you know what I mean... ;)

Stiffler's Mom

Mar 2, 2004
In NHL teams recent draft selections, the BCHL had more 1st round draft picks than the QMJHL. In fact judging by the way the NHL drafted QMJHL players this year it certainly appears that the NHL scouts and GM's believe that the Q is barely stronger than the Tier 2 Jr. A BCHL.
I wouldn't put any comparison with the Q and the WHL. It is obvious to NHL scouts that the Q is MUCH weaker than the other CHL leagues. You cannot compare goals per game for or against between leagues. It is a useless stat because the WHL is much, much stronger than the Q.

The QMJHL had an embarassingly low number of players drafted in the first 4 rounds, 8 I believe. The WHL had 8 in the first round alone 44 in total, the BCHL 2 in the first round, the Q one in the first round.

MHJS

Apr 8, 2003
Visit site
Stiffler's Mom said:
In NHL teams recent draft selections, the BCHL had more 1st round draft picks than the QMJHL. In fact judging by the way the NHL drafted QMJHL players this year it certainly appears that the NHL scouts and GM's believe that the Q is barely stronger than the Tier 2 Jr. A BCHL.
I wouldn't put any comparison with the Q and the WHL. It is obvious to NHL scouts that the Q is MUCH weaker than the other CHL leagues. You cannot compare goals per game for or against between leagues. It is a useless stat because the WHL is much, much stronger than the Q.

The QMJHL had an embarassingly low number of players drafted in the first 4 rounds, 8 I believe. The WHL had 8 in the first round alone 44 in total, the BCHL 2 in the first round, the Q one in the first round.

You know, those BCHL players were only playing there so they could go to college hockey the next year right? Had they played in the WHL they wouldn't have been able to do so. It doesn't mean the BCHL is on par with the Q, it means the top BCHL players are wanting to go to college hockey, which is why they play there.

BrettNYR

Mar 26, 2004
thegreatone said:
What about Sergei Kastsitsyn does he is first round material or second or he will be picked in late rounds ???
Well, if the Draft was held today, Sergei would be a 2nd round selection, which quite good in an EXTREMELY good draft, possibly better than Andrei's, 2003. But, if Sergei has an amazing season, look for him to be picked in round one.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Newfie Bruin said:
here was my list in a previous thread about the 05 Draft? Opinions?

my opinion is that :
27. Jack Skille, LW, US Under 18 Team
way to high for him, has talent but this draft is so high skilled that I think he will slip to mid first round.

33. Brock Bradford, C, (BCJHL)
IMO alot of people like him, and I seen him play as well and he has great skill, but he is too small in the sense that he doesn't have much strength, if he wasn't on Brules line at the U17s he would not have had the points he had, too many times he was pushed off the puck and taken out of the play very easy, I think he will still be a 2nd rounder based on talent but I would say around 50-60 range.

34. Nick Drazenovic, C, Prince George (WHL)
I think this guy goes 1st round, he is just great to watch.

42. Denis Istomin, F, Russia
Possibly on the of the most exciting and best offensive players in the draft. This guy IMO will be a top 20 pick, seen him and he has electric moves with great vision, passing, scoring, one of my favs to watch at the U17s along with Christoph Gawlick.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
HabLover said:
Since Little falls to the 2006 Draft, is he on par or better than Phil Kessel out of the States??

Not a chance, Little is awsome, but Kessel is amazing and both could be out done by Russian phenome Vasyunov, and guys like Toews, Fiala and Jonsuu,

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
moosefan said:
Not a chance, Little is awsome, but Kessel is amazing and both could be out done by Russian phenome Vasyunov, and guys like Toews, Fiala and Jonsuu,

Kessel is amazing and in another post I said that he could challenge for the number 1 spot but Little is not that far behind! Little is that good as well!

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
VOB said:
Kessel is amazing and in another post I said that he could challenge for the number 1 spot but Little is not that far behind! Little is that good as well!

They are both 87's, correct???

If so they have 2 more years to be evaluated than the 88's who are eligible for 2006. It could hurt both guys or be of an advantage to them as well. Obviously it never hurt Ovechkin having a late B-Day and all.

One question I will ask though is, would Kessel have scored 36 goals or so in the OHL at 16 like Little did?? I don't know if he would have, heck Brule wasn't even close to 30 in the dub!

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
HabLover said:
They are both 87's, correct???

One question I will ask though is, would Kessel have scored 36 goals or so in the OHL at 16 like Little did?? I don't know if he would have, heck Brule wasn't even close to 30 in the dub!

I honestly don't know. There is a very strong chance that you see these two go head to head next year because I think that Saginaw will sign Kessel.

Kessel is a tad better skater and handles the puck better but Little is one of those guys who knows how to get to the right spot at the right time, his sense is uncanny.

They are very comparable in my opinion.

Mizral

Sep 20, 2002
Earth, MW
Visit site
Raimo Sillanpää said:
Jesse Joensuu - eligible in the 2006 draft. Expected to turn into a genuine superstar

I have heard this kid compared to a slower version of Peter Forsberg. EDIT: He's 2006! That makes sense, I read that some people thought he could go #1, I was really wowed because I hadn't known how good he was in relation to some of the 2005 top picks.

I have seen Gilbert Brule play, and he is positively the best 16-17 year old kid I've ever seen play .. and yes, I saw Crosby at the World Junior's & the QMJHL Remax Challenge game. I have written a profile for Brule that should be up sometime soon on HF.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Jay Thompson said:
I have heard this kid compared to a slower version of Peter Forsberg. EDIT: He's 2006! That makes sense, I read that some people thought he could go #1, I was really wowed because I hadn't known how good he was in relation to some of the 2005 top picks.

I have seen Gilbert Brule play, and he is positively the best 16-17 year old kid I've ever seen play .. and yes, I saw Crosby at the World Junior's & the QMJHL Remax Challenge game. I have written a profile for Brule that should be up sometime soon on HF.

I have seen Brule play many times (Canada Winter Games and U17s) and I have seen Crosby play countless times (AAA team, Canada Games, QMJHL) I would have to say IMO and this is not biased. Crosby is way better than Brule, though IMO Brule is a special talent as well that comes around only so often Crosby IMO is just better in the offensive zone, though I think Brule has a better shot than Crosby and he is more physical than Crosby Crosby thinks the game better, has vision that he don't have, makes passes that I have nevr seen any prospect make, Crosby is more slick with the puck though Brule is pretty amazing as well, Crosby mind and vision set him apart from all IMO. Myself though I think Bertram is better than Brule, I am not the only one on this, so did the photographer who has seen both play from the U17s in newfoundland, he does photos across Canada and though Bertram was hurt at the U17s this guy seen both play as did I many times and I would have to agree with him that Bertram is better than Brule, also my partner in scouting also though Bertram was better than Brule. I think the talent for 2005 is so amazing that the entire first round could have been top 10 picks in almost any draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad