Confirmed with Link: Bertuzzi traded to Boston for 2024 1st & 2025 4th

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
I already posted on why Bertuzzi left (MOD EDIT)

Age, injury and contract history/demands.

He isn't coming back.

For the naysayers and supporters the SCOREBOARD will tell the story. Bert was always going to test the market and IS going to test the market. This guy wants as much money as he can earn (who doesn't). From a dollar perspective that won't happen in Boston. If also looking for a chance to win, that also won't happen in Boston. They are just entering a rebuilding stage. Some will say I am nuts, President Trophy and all of that, but this team has cap and age issues. They were built to win THIS season. They may make a go of it next season, but the Bruins didn't put a top 10 protect on that #1 pick for giggles. Bert wants big bucks and a long term contract. Highly unlikely he wants to be part of that slide down the rebuilding path.

NO cap expert but Boston has $4.5M in cap penalties alone next season and finished $27K under the ceiling.

The team's top two centers, Bergeron and David Krejci, are both 37 years old and will be free agents in July. One or both of them could retire, and that would leave the Bruins weak at an important position. There are 11 players on the playoff roster eligible for unrestricted or restricted free agency this summer, including Bergeron and Krejci, as well as Dmitry Orlov, Tyler Bertuzzi and Jeremy Swayman, among others. The salary cap is projected to rise by just $1 million for the 2023-24 season, and the Bruins will use up $4.5 million of next year's salary cap to pay for bonus overages from Bergeron and Krejci's 2022-23 contracts. David Pastrnak's cap hit will rise from $6.67 million to $11.25 million when his extension begins in the fall.

Bringing back the exact same roster is pretty much impossible. Some good players likely will not return, thus hurting the team's depth.

And let's remember the Bruins pretty much went all-in at the trade deadline to acquire Orlov, Bertuzzi and Garnet Hathaway. They don't have a first-round draft pick until 2025. They also didn't have one in 2022, 2020 or 2018. They don't have any second-round picks until 2026. Boston's prospect pool ranks among the worst in the league. Help is not on the horizon.

The Bruins could go from this:

The 43-point difference between the Panthers and Bruins represents the largest upset in Stanley Cup Playoffs history for a best-of-7 series

To:

The biggest drop in points, seaosn over season, in NHL history.

... and you people thought Holland left the Wings cupboard bare!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

GarlicbreadTB

Apr 16, 2015
Considering Yzerman and co was trying to trade him the year before it seems. I doubt he'll come back.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
I already posted on why Bertuzzi left (MOD EDIT).

He isn't coming back.

For the naysayers and supporters the SCOREBOARD will tell the story. Bert was always going to test the market and IS going to test the market. This guy wants as much money as he can earn (who doesn't). From a dollar perspective that won't happen in Boston. If also looking for a chance to win, that also won't happen in Boston. They are just entering a rebuilding stage. Some will say I am nuts, President Trophy and all of that, but this team has cap and age issues. They were built to win THIS season. They may make a go of it next season, but the Bruins didn't put a top 10 protect on that #1 pick for giggles. Bert wants big bucks and a long term contract. Highly unlikely he wants to be part of that slide down the rebuilding path.

NO cap expert but Boston has $4.5M in cap penalties alone next season and finished $27K under the ceiling.

The team's top two centers, Bergeron and David Krejci, are both 37 years old and will be free agents in July. One or both of them could retire, and that would leave the Bruins weak at an important position. There are 11 players on the playoff roster eligible for unrestricted or restricted free agency this summer, including Bergeron and Krejci, as well as Dmitry Orlov, Tyler Bertuzzi and Jeremy Swayman, among others. The salary cap is projected to rise by just $1 million for the 2023-24 season, and the Bruins will use up $4.5 million of next year's salary cap to pay for bonus overages from Bergeron and Krejci's 2022-23 contracts. David Pastrnak's cap hit will rise from $6.67 million to $11.25 million when his extension begins in the fall.

Bringing back the exact same roster is pretty much impossible. Some good players likely will not return, thus hurting the team's depth.

And let's remember the Bruins pretty much went all-in at the trade deadline to acquire Orlov, Bertuzzi and Garnet Hathaway. They don't have a first-round draft pick until 2025. They also didn't have one in 2022, 2020 or 2018. They don't have any second-round picks until 2026. Boston's prospect pool ranks among the worst in the league. Help is not on the horizon.

The 43-point difference between the Panthers and Bruins represents the largest upset in Stanley Cup Playoffs history for a best-of-7 series

To:

As I said in another thread, the Bruins failed spectacularly but them going for it this season was the right move, for the reasons you stated.

I wish Holland had the guts to do the same before Lidstrom retired. There's an even bigger case for the Wings to have made a big last push before losing one of the best defenseman to ever play the game and having two great centers entering their 30s.

Last edited by a moderator:

Squirrel in the Hole

Be the best squirrel in the hole
Feb 18, 2004
Sydney
I have to admit to a certain amount of joy when the Bruins and Avs got eliminated, but I would have loved Bert having a deep run or a Cup this year.

He definitely proved his potential as a playoff asset this year, though. I think you'll see a team in the playoffs this year that doesn't get to the final but makes strides this year go all in for him. The Stars, Devils, Panthers, Kings, maybe even the Avalanche or the Kraken. I don't think Toronto or the Rangers, and I don't think Vegas or the Oilers can afford him.

The injuries and the back are certainly a worry, but if you look at this year (two hands broken stopping shots and a "I came back too soon" injury), on a better team, he might be able to not have to block shots.

He won't be back in Detroit, though.

Reactions: Ulysses31

Ulysses31

Oct 7, 2015
What's a computer?
think pre-playoffs he he was on the brink of a sub 6 mil contract for 5-6 years. despite the loss he has a great playoffs that i think earns him solidly over a 6mil+ aav for at least 5 years

DamonDRW

Dec 23, 2007
Tampere, Finland
I already posted on why Bertuzzi left (MOD EDIT)

He isn't coming back.

To:

Well, I agree with everything except for the last take. Boston still has somewhat strong core with Pasternak, McAvoy, Ullmark, Swayman, Zacha, Coyle, Hall. They can retool on the fly and be relevant for at least few years. I'm not saying this is what happens, but if done properly, they can be quite good.

Kenny left us with Larkin and... that was all.

Reactions: lilidk

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
To:

This is the exact reason why I think the 2024 BOS 1st is going to be in the range of 10-20. It can be possible that they may miss the playoffs next year, if and only if Berg and Krejci are gone. Said in the a previous thread or even this one. I also think that Yzerman knew this when he traded Bertuzzi to them for that pick and that is also another reason why BOS added the top 10 protected, because (tin foil hat time) they know they won't be anywhere near as good next year, with the possibility of even missing the playoffs, and they need the assurance, just in case.

It makes zero sense on how they can re-sign all of their players. The exact same thing can be said for the Lightning and NJD. TBL is going to have to trade someone that has a medium to large cap in order to stay under. NJD have no way of signing all of their UFA/RFA's that include Bratt, Meier, Severson, and much more.

This trade deadline really messed up a lot of teams because they threw their cap out the window for win now mode (as well all know). I think this year's offseason is going to have some "unexpected" trades from some of the teams I mentioned above. That is also why I think Yzerman and some of these "on the cusp" teams (BUF, OTT, DET, etc.) are going to be making some of these trades. I mean, if the cap strapped teams above don't, I just don't see how they will be able to ice an actual, legal hockey team by opening day.

Reactions: heyfolks

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
This is the exact reason why I think the 2024 BOS 1st is going to be in the range of 10-20. It can be possible that they may miss the playoffs next year, if and only if Berg and Krejci are gone. Said in the a previous thread or even this one. I also think that Yzerman knew this when he traded Bertuzzi to them for that pick and that is also another reason why BOS added the top 10 protected, because (tin foil hat time) they know they won't be anywhere near as good next year, with the possibility of even missing the playoffs, and they need the assurance, just in case.

It makes zero sense on how they can re-sign all of their players. The exact same thing can be said for the Lightning and NJD. TBL is going to have to trade someone that has a medium to large cap in order to stay under. NJD have no way of signing all of their UFA/RFA's that include Bratt, Meier, Severson, and much more.

This trade deadline really messed up a lot of teams because they threw their cap out the window for win now mode (as well all know). I think this year's offseason is going to have some "unexpected" trades from some of the teams I mentioned above. That is also why I think Yzerman and some of these "on the cusp" teams (BUF, OTT, DET, etc.) are going to be making some of these trades. I mean, if the cap strapped teams above don't, I just don't see how they will be able to ice an actual, legal hockey team by opening day.
So it all comes down to what actual talent is available via trade. If it's first line scoring, I'm trading a pick in the 10-20 overall range all day long. If it's middle of the lineup guys, I'd rather horde the picks and be patient.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Well, I agree with everything except for the last take. Boston still has somewhat strong core with Pasternak, McAvoy, Ullmark, Swayman, Zacha, Coyle, Hall. They can retool on the fly and be relevant for at least few years. I'm not saying this is what happens, but if done properly, they can be quite good.

Kenny left us with Larkin and... that was all.
Going to be tough to retool with no cap space, especially when your arguably two best centers can be gone.

Let's say they aren't gone and Berg/Krejci come back. Ullmark or Swayman is gone. Plus others. I think Ullmark just had a phenomenal year, but I think he turns back to average next year.

SantosHalper

Get off my lawn
Mar 21, 2012
somewhere around nothing
But IF, let's say Clayton Keller becomes available, can we get a player good as him in 11-20 range in the draft? Not mention that Keller will impact the team instantly and he will fit the timeline, it's going to take minimum 2-3 years until the 2024 #14 overall pick is ready to play. And god only knows how many years does it take until he is really adjusted to NHL.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
So it all comes down to what actual talent is available via trade. If it's first line scoring, I'm trading a pick in the 10-20 overall range all day long. If it's middle of the lineup guys, I'd rather horde the picks and be patient.
Absolutely, I agree. Boston's 1st should utilized and traded for an established goal scorer this offseason/draft. Or even our 1st. If my tin foil hat theory is correct and BOS barely misses or makes playoffs (out round 1 regardless), provided that berg and krejci are gone, I would argue that we should trade our 1st and keep Bostons.

If Yzerman trades for (example purposes only but what I would like to see) for one or two of Ehlers/Connor/Meier/Debrincat/Debrusk, we will be in the playoffs no question. Especially if we add a FA signing of Gudas for the third pairing of Maata - Gudas

Connor/Meier - Larkin - Raymond
Debrincat/Debrusk - Copp - Berggren
Perron - Kasper - Rasmussen
Soderblom - Suter - Kubalik
Veleno/Chiasson?

Seider - Walman
Ed - Chiarot
Maata - Gudas

This team makes the playoffs and does some damage. Figure out a dependable backup to Husso and we are set. That's 3 scoring lines with a 4th line that could still score but not expected to. Defense is solid (ed and chiarot weren't terrible together, they just needed more time together than 9 or so games). If Yzerman wants to make a considerably better, of which he basically said he wished we were further along in the rebuild, then this is what you need to do. We have the supporting cast throughout the lineup, we just need 1 definite and 1 pretty good goal-scoring first players.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Absolutely, I agree. Boston's 1st should utilized and traded for an established goal scorer this offseason/draft. Or even our 1st. If my tin foil hat theory is correct and BOS barely misses or makes playoffs (out round 1 regardless), provided that berg and krejci are gone, I would argue that we should trade our 1st and keep Bostons.

If Yzerman trades for (example purposes only but what I would like to see) for one or two of Ehlers/Connor/Meier/Debrincat/Debrusk, we will be in the playoffs no question. Especially if we add a FA signing of Gudas for the third pairing of Maata - Gudas

Connor/Meier - Larkin - Raymond
Debrincat/Debrusk - Copp - Berggren
Perron - Kasper - Rasmussen
Soderblom - Suter - Kubalik
Veleno/Chiasson?

Seider - Walman
Ed - Chiarot
Maata - Gudas

This team makes the playoffs and does some damage. Figure out a dependable backup to Husso and we are set. That's 3 scoring lines with a 4th line that could still score but not expected to. Defense is solid (ed and chiarot weren't terrible together, they just needed more time together than 9 or so games). If Yzerman wants to make a considerably better, of which he basically said he wished we were further along in the rebuild, then this is what you need to do. We have the supporting cast throughout the lineup, we just need 1 definite and 1 pretty good goal-scoring first players.
Complete side bar, but when do you suppose that Lalonde admits that Maatta is better than Chiarot and slots them accordingly?

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Complete side bar, but when do you suppose that Lalonde admits that Maatta is better than Chiarot and slots them accordingly?
I'm hoping this summer results in "3 dynamic defensive pairings that will each be impactful to the team".

Translated:
* Seider/Walman as 1A
* Maatta/Edvinsson as 1B
* Addition/Chiarot as 1C

The token PR spin lets the veteran save face, and guys get deployed with some actual logic.

Reactions: norrisnick

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota
Coming to several NHL franchises this summer!

"HE is here."
"Stevie-wan Yzerman? What makes you think so?"
"A tremor in the playoffs. The last time I felt it, I was in the presence of my old master."
"Surely he must be done by now."
"Don't underestimate the power of the cap hits."
"If you're right, he must not be allowed to stand pat."
"Standing pat is not his plan. I must face him. Alone."

SYGMS1.jpg

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
But IF, let's say Clayton Keller becomes available, can we get a player good as him in 11-20 range in the draft? Not mention that Keller will impact the team instantly and he will fit the timeline, it's going to take minimum 2-3 years until the 2024 #14 overall pick is ready to play. And god only knows how many years does it take until he is really adjusted to NHL.
Let's say we get Keller: his contract for his output is crazy amazing. He is also young, so it will all work out. Likelihood is low to get another one of him. So add him to the list I made of people I liked.
The problem is, chiarot has had poor connections with everyone on the team, other than Edvinsson for the most part. No, they weren't a great pairing, but chiarot didn't look like an entire lost cause when paired with ed.

Maybe a chiarot/gudas pairing would be good? But isn't Maata a LHD? Not sure if he has played the right side or not to be with Edvinsson. I completely agree, Maata is better than Chiarot, but sometimes the pairings need to make more sense than the skill level...sometimes.

As for Lalonde to figure it out...idk. I think he is trying to have Chiarot out there more this past year because of how bad he was and it helped some tanking. At the same time, I don't think Lalonde was that smart.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

The likely answer is no.

The majority of players in any given year picked from 11 to 32 on an average draft are not going to score anywhere near as much as Keller did in a single season this year.

In a strong draft year there MIGHT be a couple of players that hit Keller's high average points per season that are in the 11 to 20 range. Probabilities are still very low.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad