Confirmed with Link: Bertuzzi traded to Boston for 2024 1st & 2025 4th

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
This is the exact reason why I think the 2024 BOS 1st is going to be in the range of 10-20. It can be possible that they may miss the playoffs next year, if and only if Berg and Krejci are gone. Said in the a previous thread or even this one. I also think that Yzerman knew this when he traded Bertuzzi to them for that pick and that is also another reason why BOS added the top 10 protected, because (tin foil hat time) they know they won't be anywhere near as good next year, with the possibility of even missing the playoffs, and they need the assurance, just in case.

It makes zero sense on how they can re-sign all of their players. The exact same thing can be said for the Lightning and NJD. TBL is going to have to trade someone that has a medium to large cap in order to stay under. NJD have no way of signing all of their UFA/RFA's that include Bratt, Meier, Severson, and much more.

This trade deadline really messed up a lot of teams because they threw their cap out the window for win now mode (as well all know). I think this year's offseason is going to have some "unexpected" trades from some of the teams I mentioned above. That is also why I think Yzerman and some of these "on the cusp" teams (BUF, OTT, DET, etc.) are going to be making some of these trades. I mean, if the cap strapped teams above don't, I just don't see how they will be able to ice an actual, legal hockey team by opening day.

New Jersey has 34 million in cap space

maybe they lose a couple depth guys like Tatar but they easily have enough for guys like Bratt and Meier

• Wow
Reactions: ColdToiletSeats

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
Well, I agree with everything except for the last take. Boston still has somewhat strong core with Pasternak, McAvoy, Ullmark, Swayman, Zacha, Coyle, Hall. They can retool on the fly and be relevant for at least few years. I'm not saying this is what happens, but if done properly, they can be quite good.

Kenny left us with Larkin and... that was all.

Do they have the money to keep them all?

2024 1st round pick (BOS) [Conditional]*
2025 4th round pick (BOS)
It does sting a bit not getting any picks in 23.

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
New Jersey has 34 million in cap space

maybe they lose a couple depth guys like Tatar but they easily have enough for guys like Bratt and Meier
You sure about that? I posted a somewhat in depth one somewhere on these forums, but an overview:

34 mil cap space
RFA's
Bratt is going to command 8-10
Meier is most likely going for 8-10
Mcleod is probably going to want 4-6
Sharangovich is probably 4-6
Boqvist should get a good increase, call it 3-4
Bastian is probably around 2-3

UFA's
Tatar probably gone unless he takes a paycut
Wood they probably want to keep, makes 3.2 now so 3.5?
Haula will probably want a pay increase around 4-5

That is just the forwards.......now lets do defense
RFA
Bahl - honestly no idea..1-2?
Severson is going to get paid, makes 4.2 now, probably 5-6.5
Graves - they could let him go probably but hes around increase to 3.5

Now Goalies
I'm sure they either don't qualify blackwood or have him sign to play in AHL

So do the math on the guys they should definitely keep:
Bratt - 9
Meier - 9
Mcleod - 5
Severson - 6
Boqvist - 3.5
Sharangovich - 5
Haula - 4.5
Total: 42 mil.

Keep in mind, GM's look into the future because that's their job and as of right now, they have 43 mil in cap space in 24-25. That's when you have to pay Mercer, easy 9-10 cap for him. Schmid if he plays the same next year as he is in the playoffs, I mean that's probably 7-9?.

Then Luke Hughes is gonna want 8 mil or so if he pans out in 25-26. SOOOO who are you going to not pay out of all these guys? Bratt is home grown, he aint going anywhere. They need to keep their defense in tact, so severson stays and probably Bahl too. Mcleod/Boqvist/Sharangovich is probably a must sign too. With those guys alone that's 28.5 out of 34 mil and they won't nearly have enough to sign Meier and be able to ice a full team.

I don't see it unless bratt's agent sucks and has him take less than he should. Same for the others.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
You sure about that? I posted a somewhat in depth one somewhere on these forums, but an overview:

34 mil cap space
RFA's
Bratt is going to command 8-10
Meier is most likely going for 8-10
Mcleod is probably going to want 4-6
Sharangovich is probably 4-6
Boqvist should get a good increase, call it 3-4
Bastian is probably around 2-3

UFA's
Tatar probably gone unless he takes a paycut
Wood they probably want to keep, makes 3.2 now so 3.5?
Haula will probably want a pay increase around 4-5

That is just the forwards.......now lets do defense
RFA
Bahl - honestly no idea..1-2?
Severson is going to get paid, makes 4.2 now, probably 5-6.5
Graves - they could let him go probably but hes around increase to 3.5

Now Goalies
I'm sure they either don't qualify blackwood or have him sign to play in AHL

So do the math on the guys they should definitely keep:
Bratt - 9
Meier - 9
Mcleod - 5
Severson - 6
Boqvist - 3.5
Sharangovich - 5
Haula - 4.5
Total: 42 mil.

Keep in mind, GM's look into the future because that's their job and as of right now, they have 43 mil in cap space in 24-25. That's when you have to pay Mercer, easy 9-10 cap for him. Schmid if he plays the same next year as he is in the playoffs, I mean that's probably 7-9?.

Then Luke Hughes is gonna want 8 mil or so if he pans out in 25-26. SOOOO who are you going to not pay out of all these guys? Bratt is home grown, he aint going anywhere. They need to keep their defense in tact, so severson stays and probably Bahl too. Mcleod/Boqvist/Sharangovich is probably a must sign too. With those guys alone that's 28.5 out of 34 mil and they won't nearly have enough to sign Meier and be able to ice a full team.

I don't see it unless bratt's agent sucks and has him take less than he should. Same for the others.

a bunch of those numbers feel super out of whack to me

Sharangovich is a RFA and a forward that had 30 points this year and you think he's getting 5m?
Boqvist is a RFA and a forward that had 21 points this year and you think he's getting 3.5?
McLeod is a RFA and a forward that had 26 points this year and he's getting 5m?

Reactions: Oddbob

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
Well, I agree with everything except for the last take. Boston still has somewhat strong core with Pasternak, McAvoy, Ullmark, Swayman, Zacha, Coyle, Hall. They can retool on the fly and be relevant for at least few years. I'm not saying this is what happens, but if done properly, they can be quite good.

Kenny left us with Larkin and... that was all.

Screenshot_20230503_170942_Instagram.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230503_170942_Instagram.jpg
    Screenshot_20230503_170942_Instagram.jpg
    274.1 KB · Views: 1
  • Haha
Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
worth noting that Boston allowed 36 less goals than any other team and their entire Defense other than Orlov who was a deadline acquisition that wasn't there most of the year and Clifton who played 14 minutes a night are already signed for next year, hell the games of Orlov they won't have will even easily be made up for if McAvoy plays the whole season instead of missing 15 games like he did this year

also Pastrnak already proved this year that he can produce extremely well without his teammates scoring much, he only had 12 less points than the 2nd and 3rd place scorers on the Bruins combined this year

Last edited:

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
worth noting that Boston allowed 36 less goals than any other team and their entire Defense other than Orlov who was a deadline acquisition that wasn't there most of the year and Clifton who played 14 minutes a night are already signed for next year, hell the games of Orlov they won't have will even easily be made up for if McAvoy plays the whole season instead of missing 15 games like he did this year

also Pastrnak already proved this year that he can produce extremely well without his teammates scoring much, he only had 12 less points than the 2nd and 3rd place scorers on the Bruins combined this year
I thought that was all "rename the Selke's" doing?

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
The NHL will allow Boston to massage their way back under the cap. The cap only served to limit salaries and institute revenue sharing so teams like Phoenix and Columbus can survive. The NHL doesn't give a shit about parity.

Boston will somehow magically produce enough cap space to keep their team together next year AND get a top player at the deadline.

The NHLPA doesn't give a shit since average player salaries are still going up.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Pretty sure they will find the way to keep as many key players as possible including Pasta and Bert. I expect
a lot of RW fans angry for how much Bert will get signed
Bert's not re-signing in Boston, there's zero chance unless Boston moves out at least one of their high-paid players. They can't afford what he's going to be asking for. Pasta they're obviously keeping because they just signed him 8 months ago.

Reactions: heyfolks

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Shame y’all won’t keep him: as a Florida fan I think Bertuzzi was the most dangerous player in the series. I was scared when the puck was near him

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Pretty sure they will find the way to keep as many key players as possible including Pasta and Bert. I expect
I'd really only be surprised or upset if he signs somewhere and the term is relatively short.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
Shame y’all won’t keep him: as a Florida fan I think Bertuzzi was the most dangerous player in the series. I was scared when the puck was near him
No shame at all. Our timeline does not fit Bertuzzi's career timeline. The draft pieces are much more valuable to Red Wings than the player. Hopefully when the Red Wings finally become a viable playoff team, these draft picks will start their ELCs as quality inexpensive pieces.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

Won't be angry at all, just glad we aren't signing him to a ridiculous 7 X WAY TOO MUCH!

Al48

Apr 23, 2020
Anyone remember what the condition of that first round pick was? Was it if he re-signed or performance? (Sorry, but I can’t read through 18 pages)

OneMoreTry

Sep 26, 2021
Anyone remember what the condition of that first round pick was? Was it if he re-signed or performance? (Sorry, but I can’t read through 18 pages)

It's top10 protected, that's the condition. Has nothing to do with Bert, only Bostons performance.

Al48

Apr 23, 2020
The condition is only for lotto protection, if it's a top 10 pick it moves to their 2025 first.
Thank you! Well, we should still have a lotto pick of our own this coming draft. I know the 24 draft isn’t as talked about because of the Bedard hype, but I feel there are really good players in there. Would have been nice to have a couple kicks at the top spot in that one

Reactions: JediOrderPizza

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Bert just signed in Toronto for 1 year, 5.5m. I guess he wasn't all about the money.

Oh, I'm sure it was. But he overplayed his hand looking for a long-term commitment. That obviously didn't materialize. So he's taking this modest deal as a way to (hopefully) prove his value and then cash in next year.

We saw Klingberg try this trick but it didn't really work out for him. I wish Bert better luck. Toronto was a smart choice, he's a good fit, and hey gets to play for a Cup. A strong situation, assuming he doesn't get hurt.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad