Confirmed with Link: Bertuzzi traded to Boston for 2024 1st & 2025 4th

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
You had bingo, and then you didn't.
That bit is on there because we are literally talking about him choosing to miss games in regards to his contract status, though. The only reason we ever even knew his status was due to him missing games.

It was about the question why Bert was shown the door. The answer it seems that the dollars and term he wanted lead to negotiations to dead end. As to why he's not worth what he's asking the vaccine is a small facet of it. His injury history and play style would be the major reason I wouldn't want him on Detroit for 8 more years at more than 5 million/season
At the end of the day, yes it's only a small part. The injuries are going to affect it much more. I wouldn't want any long term Bertuzzi deal, personally.

Last edited:

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
It was about the question why Bert was shown the door. The answer it seems that the dollars and term he wanted lead to negotiations to dead end. As to why he's not worth what he's asking the vaccine is a small facet of it. His injury history and play style would be the major reason I wouldn't want him on Detroit for 8 more years at more than 5 million/season

That's all reasonable but here's the breakdown:

1) This has been hashed out a hundred times before
2) This topic is a lightning rod for off-topic political commentary
3) This topic introduces the opportunity for people to bring in various "scientific" opinions from across the spectrum that is difficult to moderate in a way users find balanced
4) Bert is a Bruin

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
his injury history and play style DOES NOT MATTER!

just kidding :)
. His injury history tells me he shouldn't get a raise, should get a 1 or 2 year deal to prove he can go a full season or close to one without breaking a bone in his body. After he proves that, I would pay that man his money because when he is in the lineup, he usually makes some kind of a positive impact .

• Haha
Reactions: AussieWings

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Tyler Bertuzzi has an injury history, a punchable face, and is most effective when he's mucking it up and people want to punch him in the face.

He was always a nice story because his uncle and a wonderful second round pick because 21, 21, and 30 goals... but a balky back makes it really hard to lean on you as a cornerstone piece. He's a "try-hard" guy, which isn't a slam, he just works his ass off to do what he does because he's not crazily talented. I'm trying my best not to short change what he did... but he's just simply not a consistent 30 goal scorer. He's not.

Just like how the Lions walked away from Jamaal Williams even though everything in the world wanted them to keep him... he was asking for more money than they wanted to pay for what he brings and his potential longevity.

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Tyler Bertuzzi has an injury history, a punchable face, and is most effective when he's mucking it up and people want to punch him in the face.

He was always a nice story because his uncle and a wonderful second round pick because 21, 21, and 30 goals... but a balky back makes it really hard to lean on you as a cornerstone piece. He's a "try-hard" guy, which isn't a slam, he just works his ass off to do what he does because he's not crazily talented. I'm trying my best not to short change what he did... but he's just simply not a consistent 30 goal scorer. He's not.

Just like how the Lions walked away from Jamaal Williams even though everything in the world wanted them to keep him... he was asking for more money than they wanted to pay for what he brings and his potential longevity.

He doesn't need to be a perennial 30 goal guy to be useful though. The dude averages 23 goals/82 games. If he was healthy this season, his career average paces as the 2nd best goal scorer on this team. Granted, thats a big if lol.

Now, Im not saying trading him was a bad move but its difficult for teams to get better by trading away their top players. Obviously Yzerman wanted to gear the roster around the next wave, which again, isn't wrong. Its just so damn hard to get better by trading 2 of your top 3 or 4 players.

Simply put, even with the 1st rounders, it will be difficult to replace Bertuzzi and Hronek.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
He was the only player in the league selfish enough to sit out games for not getting vaccinated. Bad enough if he was a 13th forward, but he was a top line player choosing to not play games.
There are people all too eager and happy to forget this, but it's no doubt a stain on Bertuzzi's career. How big of a stain can surely be debated, but as loved as he was as a teammate, there were people in and around the organization pretty annoyed by his decision, if not outright pissed off (and I don't know, but I strongly suspect Yzerman was one of those people).

EDIT: Not trying to make waves with this post, but I find this piece of the whole thing interesting, given the number of people who are interested in Bert coming back to Detroit in the off-season. I really wouldn't be surprised if he's generally not welcome back. Yzerman demands buy-in from his players, and Bert, regardless of your political leanings or scientific literacy, did not fully buy in.

Last edited:

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
I know you guys are eager to get your 2023 vaccine and body autonomy arguments out there, but Bert is gone. He's a Bruin now. It's done. Your watch has ended.

And let's not deny the mods of the Boston Bruins forum all the fun! Give them a chance to enjoy this banter, you know?
Hey Bench, so like I told you, I was on it.

They did not receive the post well. So, I tried man!

• Haha
Reactions: Bench

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
He doesn't need to be a perennial 30 goal guy to be useful though. The dude averages 23 goals/82 games. If he was healthy this season, his career average paces as the 2nd best goal scorer on this team. Granted, thats a big if lol.

Now, Im not saying trading him was a bad move but its difficult for teams to get better by trading away their top players. Obviously Yzerman wanted to gear the roster around the next wave, which again, isn't wrong. Its just so damn hard to get better by trading 2 of your top 3 or 4 players.

Simply put, even with the 1st rounders, it will be difficult to replace Bertuzzi and Hronek.

Not disputing that. Just saying that being useful and being worth 7x7 or 8x7 are two very different things.

Bertuzzi is a guy who is either going to be very underpaid or very overpaid. He’s very polarizing in just health and production and potential future production. I wouldn’t feel comfortable that he’s gonna be worth 7 million for the length of a full long term deal.

And he’s not like the top top end players that you know you are getting a discount now in AAV (which is why the cash salary is higher early) and you’re gonna take a hit later (which is why the actual money goes down). He’d be worth around the 7 million now and almost be certain to be a load on the cap within four years. With Larkin, they’re hoping he provides 10m+ in value for the first several years and slows down later

Reactions: SirloinUB

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
So last question on this, I guess: Why wouldn't Detroit pay him what he wants? Especially if it was already a good fit? Is he not a player to build around?

Most wouldn't mind say paying him 6-7 per year for like 2-3 years, but we think his agent wanted 5+ years and his playing style won't likely hold up through his 30's when age regression starts hitting him.

Reactions: Bench and SirloinUB

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Most wouldn't mind say paying him 6-7 per year for like 2-3 years, but we think his agent wanted 5+ years and his playing style won't likely hold up through his 30's when age regression starts hitting him.
I truly believe he is worth that 6-7 mil a year (or adjust for inflation) after he has proven to play 1 or 2 close to full seasons (at least 60 per) before cashing in. Until then, I really wouldn't pay him a dime over what his current cap hit is. He hasn't really proved he could withstand a season without hurting himself.

He has the playmaking, tenacity, etc that everyone here wants us to have, but we barely get to see it.

Reactions: SirloinUB

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
Not disputing that. Just saying that being useful and being worth 7x7 or 8x7 are two very different things.

Bertuzzi is a guy who is either going to be very underpaid or very overpaid. He’s very polarizing in just health and production and potential future production. I wouldn’t feel comfortable that he’s gonna be worth 7 million for the length of a full long term deal.

And he’s not like the top top end players that you know you are getting a discount now in AAV (which is why the cash salary is higher early) and you’re gonna take a hit later (which is why the actual money goes down). He’d be worth around the 7 million now and almost be certain to be a load on the cap within four years. With Larkin, they’re hoping he provides 10m+ in value for the first several years and slows down later

I definitely agree with you more than I disagree. And to be fair, I'm coming from a philosophical angle more so than a Bert specific angle. But continually letting top pieces go is a precarious line to walk than can extend the rebuild.

With Bert, Term would have mattered more than AAV tbh. As odin points out, most of us would be okay with a 7X2 or 7x3 kind of deal.

Last edited:

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
I definitely agree with you more than I disagree. And to be fair, I'm coming from more of a philosophical angle more so than a Bert specific angle. But continually letting top pieces go is a precarious line to walk than can extend the rebuild.

With Bert, Term would have mattered more than AAV tbh. As odin points out, most of us would be okay with a 7X2 or 7x3 kind of deal.

Yep. I was focused only on Bert. Because I think the Wings are at a point when the “top player exodus” stops. They locked in Larkin and look like they’re thinking Raymond, Seider, and Ed are long term.

I feel like 19-22 were the clearing the decks years and we are starting to put our chairs on the next boat after the titanic went down miserably.

Bert and Hronek were in the weird zone of “they’re good, but really they’re the old regime’s guys”. Hronek was good but had definitely long standing warts that weren’t getting better and Bert always seemed like you’re kinda waiting for the other shoe to drop on him

Reactions: Bench and SirloinUB

odin1981

There can be only 1!
Mar 8, 2013
Canton Mi
I truly believe he is worth that 6-7 mil a year (or adjust for inflation) after he has proven to play 1 or 2 close to full seasons (at least 60 per) before cashing in. Until then, I really wouldn't pay him a dime over what his current cap hit is. He hasn't really proved he could withstand a season without hurting himself.

He has the playmaking, tenacity, etc that everyone here wants us to have, but we barely get to see it.

He is not elite. He is a good player. But non elites just don't fair well if their playing style is more crash and bang styles tend to fall off a cliff post 32 year old. Tyler isn't worth the contract if he is out for 30-40 games a year. So there is just no reason to tender a offer post 32+.

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
He was the only player in the league selfish enough to sit out games for not getting vaccinated. Bad enough if he was a 13th forward, but he was a top line player choosing to not play games.

He made a personal decision. MOD. Krupp dog sledding was a selfish personal decision. Mac's reckless lifestyle was a selfish personal decision. Avery, Heatley, Sergei's hold out, on and on and on. One could argue Tyler made the most selfless decision One based on HIS personal belief set and HIS health. I wasn't born when Sandy Koufax didn't pitch in the playoffs, but what was that? Ovie actually hurt his team by going home for his father's funeral. On and on. Why not let players be individuals?

FYI: The vaccine is no longer a requirement for international travel. It was not a factor. The post was silly.

Why was Tyler moved....

CONTRACT HOLD OUTS
CONTRACT NEGOTIATIONS

Tyler's performance on this team is irrefutably positive. Wins and losses with him on and off the ice are a stat often shared. You call him selfish but the Captain of this team wept when he was traded. The team also hit a losing streak when he left. The stats would support this NOT being a coincidence.

His injury history is also well known.

Contract hold outs - He took the Wings to arbitration and won... saying "it was nothing personal." He then signed not a long-term deal but a 2-year deal at $9.5M. This was a CLEAR indicator he was going to test the market.

Negotiations - Not stated, but you know the Wings and his agent spoke about a long-term deal. It clearly didn't go well.

ALL of that, not his vax status, led to the trade. A 1st round (top 10 protected pick) in 24is a sold return on a player leaving in the off season.

Will he come back... nope. Again nothing to do with his vaccine status, which is no longer an issue for international travel. AGE, INJURY HISTORY and SALARY are the issues, coupled with the stage of where this team is in the rebuild and WHO they will need to sign when they are competing for the Cup. < We speak of the kids, and the need to sign them for big bucks will come at the time when they are competitive. Having a long-term deal on the table with a 32 year-old oft injured winger is not where Yzerman wants to box himself in. It was a good move for all.

Last edited by a moderator:

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

5 games. 0 goals 2 assists. Even. 7 shots. 4 hits. All in 17 minutes ATOI.

The dude might not even be worth 4 million next year.

Perfect Human

Dec 17, 2014
5 games. 0 goals 2 assists. Even. 7 shots. 4 hits. All in 17 minutes ATOI.

The dude might not even be worth 4 million next year.
Tinfoil hat theory:

Yzerman knew he wasn't worth more than his current contract and wanted to have Bert see it too so he traded him to the best team in the league to show Bert he cant hang.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Would be funny if Boston finished with the 10th pick next season then the following year it ends up being a lottery win for 1st... would best the best trade since the Erik Karlsson trade lol.

That would be pretty nice, but that’s about a one in a million chance of happening.

Even if Krejci and Bergeron take off they still have Ulmark, Marchand, Pastrnak, McAvoy, Lindholm as a rock solid core to build around. That still puts them in the conversation for no worse than 6th in the east. That 2024 1st is going to be a late one.

Personally, I prefer the idea of trading it to move up this year or to get a young-ish RD from someone else.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Bert best years behind him, he will be
Would be funny if Boston finished with the 10th pick next season then the following year it ends up being a lottery win for 1st... would best the best trade since the Erik Karlsson trade lol.
It will be even more funnier if that guy will be something like Nail Yakupov

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
He made a personal decision. MOD. Krupp dog sledding was a selfish personal decision. Mac's reckless lifestyle was a selfish personal decision. Avery, Heatley, Sergei's hold out, on and on and on. One could argue Tyler made the most selfless decision One based on HIS personal belief set and HIS health. I wasn't born when Sandy Koufax didn't pitch in the playoffs, but what was that? Ovie actually hurt his team by going home for his father's funeral. On and on. Why not let players be individuals?

FYI: The vaccine is no longer a requirement for international travel. It was not a factor. The post was silly.

Why was Tyler moved....

CONTRACT HOLD OUTS
CONTRACT NEGOTIATIONS

Tyler's performance on this team is irrefutably positive. Wins and losses with him on and off the ice are a stat often shared. You call him selfish but the Captain of this team wept when he was traded. The team also hit a losing streak when he left. The stats would support this NOT being a coincidence.

His injury history is also well known.

Contract hold outs - He took the Wings to arbitration and won... saying "it was nothing personal." He then signed not a long-term deal but a 2-year deal at $9.5M. This was a CLEAR indicator he was going to test the market.

Negotiations - Not stated, but you know the Wings and his agent spoke about a long-term deal. It clearly didn't go well.

ALL of that, not his vax status, led to the trade. A 1st round (top 10 protected pick) in 24is a sold return on a player leaving in the off season.

Will he come back... nope. Again nothing to do with his vaccine status, which is no longer an issue for international travel. AGE, INJURY HISTORY and SALARY are the issues, coupled with the stage of where this team is in the rebuild and WHO they will need to sign when they are competing for the Cup. < We speak of the kids, and the need to sign them for big bucks will come at the time when they are competitive. Having a long-term deal on the table with a 32 year-old oft injured winger is not where Yzerman wants to box himself in. It was a good move for all.
Ok, we're civil here, everyone's civil, this is just a niiiiiiiice conversation. Keeping it cool. Just going to add a little piece here, give it a light-hearted finish, hopefully no feathers are ruffled.....

I agree about the main factors (contract history, injuries, age) and how those were more than enough to want to trade him. In that way, I agree his vax decision had nothing to do with it. But his vax status was not nothing. It irked or even pissed off some people in and around the organization. I don't know exactly where Yzerman himself stood on it, but knowing his high demands for guys buying in and being team players, I can't imagine it made him happy in the least. There was even an interview where he was clearly biting his tongue about Bert's status. My speculation is that while it wasn't a factor that impacted the decision to trade him, it may very well be a factor that closes the door to him coming back.

People can label it a 'personal decision' in order to put a protective bubble around it, call it freedom that shouldn't be questioned, whatever, that's fine. But it doesn't change the fact that it impacted the Detroit Red Wings in a negative way. And this is capitalism, baby. Pro sports. 'Merica. Certain parts of the population can go on about freedom all they want, but it isn't actually freedom that fuels this country. It's something else. It's a nut. And Bert messed with it.

dd0d2f16-7b5b-480a-be6a-227852c974c2_text.gif

• Haha
Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

heyfolks

Apr 30, 2007
Ok, we're civil here, everyone's civil, this is just a niiiiiiiice conversation. Keeping it cool. Just going to add a little piece here, give it a light-hearted finish, hopefully no feathers are ruffled.....

I agree about the main factors (contract history, injuries, age) and how those were more than enough to want to trade him. In that way, I agree his vax decision had nothing to do with it. But his vax status was not nothing. It irked or even pissed off some people in and around the organization. I don't know exactly where Yzerman himself stood on it, but knowing his high demands for guys buying in and being team players, I can't imagine it made him happy in the least. There was even an interview where he was clearly biting his tongue about Bert's status. My speculation is that while it wasn't a factor that impacted the decision to trade him, it may very well be a factor that closes the door to him coming back.

People can label it a 'personal decision' in order to put a protective bubble around it, call it freedom that shouldn't be questioned, whatever, that's fine. But it doesn't change the fact that it impacted the Detroit Red Wings in a negative way. And this is capitalism, baby. Pro sports. 'Merica. Certain parts of the population can go on about freedom all they want, but it isn't actually freedom that fuels this country. It's something else. It's a nut. And Bert messed with it.

dd0d2f16-7b5b-480a-be6a-227852c974c2_text.gif

I am not conceding the point, but it is irrelevant to the outcome. Bert was leaving the Wings this off-season, for the reasons I listed, period. Yzerman traded him rather than lose him for nothing. Many a player make a PERSONAL decision and the CLUB then reacts to it. Eichel made a personal decision based on what he thought was best for HIM. He was traded. I was only arguing the premise that it was selfish or some isolated incident. Happens all the time in the NHL, but the jab evokes the "political" sport and everyone these days is on a team and more rabid and violent than a Raiders vs Eagles crowd.

He was traded, and the lack of a jab had nothing to do with it. Full stop.

Side note. His impact on the ice was undeniably positive. Liked the guy and thought he was a good fit in Detroit. That said, I actually don't see him fitting in with Boston. i am wagering he moves on again in the off season.

Final note: Sorry to see your boy moved to the Nucks. A 1st and 2nd rounder = a solid return for him, but he was just coming into his own at 25. Appeared to be a solid 2nd pairing and PP D man. Didn't like this move at all. It was my Ground Hog day moment. The Wings are in for 6 more weeks of winter... or is that seasons before a playoff game?!

Last edited:

Astyanax

May 5, 2020
Going off of your first sentence, no I don't. It makes no sense to limit someone's potential earnings because of a vaccine that has research/peer reviewed papers that shows it helps 60% or lower efficacy and doesn't limit exposure to others, unlike the original reporting.

Obviously, we can't get political here and I won't, I just believe that it makes zero sense to have this brought up in contract negotiations in today's world. If this was 1 or 2 years ago, I believe it would matter because it was an issue of playing roughly 10-15 games (assuming east coast team, I think it would be more if west coast?). But this isn't 1 or 2 years ago.
No politics and no real opinion on vaccines and I ultimately do not think it will effect his next contract, but I do think it may have played a small part in negotiations for Detroit. They would never interfere with personal choices, but it is a team sport and tyler chose not to play in Canada.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

This is huge though. He is never healthy, he misses large chunks of games every year, and will still only produce with other better players driving the bus. He will also want way too much for what he brings.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad