Bertuzzi files for Arbitration (UPD: $3.5m)

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
2 UFA pickups + 2 G's. Rest are estimations on bridges & LT contracts. ELC (.925) approx...A few of those may be on their bridge by then, but it's late & I don't feel like looking it up (feel free to correct those).

2022:

Raymond .925- Barkov 10 - Mantha 6
Bert 5 - Larkin 9 - Zadina 4.5
Fabbri 4.25 - Veleno .925 - Berggren .925
Maestro .925 - Niederbach .925 - Soderblom .925
Smith .925

Werenski 9.5 - Seider 4.5
Johansson .925 - Hronek 5
McIsaac .925 - Lindstrom 1.2
Wallinder .925 - Tuomisto .925

G ? $$
G ? $
Larkin's a UFA in 2023 so he wont get $9M in 2022, Seider will still be on his ELC. And curious how we're getting Werenski considering he's still an RFA in 2022 and i doubt Jarmo trades him. Barkov most definitely go for him.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Probably the covid situation brought down his ask. It's not like the players are unaware that their salaries were going to take a hit. Travis Dermott just signed for less than 900, 000 and he would have probably gotten in the 2-3 range in a normal year.

The cap didn't decrease. It stayed flat.
Yzerman ought to be careful about being a cheapskate with a valuable young player.

Reactions: Winger98

ShippinItDaily

Apr 28, 2004
Saskatoon
Yzerman ought to be careful about being a cheapskate with a valuable young player.

I think Yzerman is wise to be careful with Bertuzzi. I really like the player and want to keep him in the fold long-term, but his production is certainly influenced heavily by an opportunity he wouldn't have had on most other teams in the league.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
You're confusing the appropriate number on a 1 year deal with the appropriate number on a 4-5 year deal. They're very different things.

If Bertuzzi ends up around $3.7M for one year, that's equivalent to $4.5-5M on a longer deal, since the longer deal buys up years of free agency.

Reactions: ricky0034 and Bench

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
You're confusing the appropriate number on a 1 year deal with the appropriate number on a 4-5 year deal. They're very different things.

If Bertuzzi ends up around $3.7M for one year, that's equivalent to $4.5-5M on a longer deal, since the longer deal buys up years of free agency.

Usually those RFA years are almost 1M cheaper than UFA years.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
I think Yzerman is wise to be careful with Bertuzzi. I really like the player and want to keep him in the fold long-term, but his production is certainly influenced heavily by an opportunity he wouldn't have had on most other teams in the league.

I agree. But that's not an easy argument to win. And I really don't see it being an issue for us in the next 2-3 years anyway.
Funny thing is, I see Bertuzzi as someone who can extend the depth of our lineup.
I think Bertuzzi might allow us to get away with Fabbri as a 2C, for example.

I'd point to this organization's own recent history.
Ken Holland always got quite a bit of credit for the contracts he signed his younger RFAs to.

Athanasiou got a 2 year deal worth $3M... with a salary cap of $79.5M
After two seasons in which he went 34-28-62.

Anyway, I'm having a hard time with the number Bertuzzi put forth for bertuzzi.
And I have a feeling if I went through any of the Bertuzzi contract threads, I'd find a lot of people agreeing with me.

I'd love to know what comparables Yzerman is using.

Reactions: Winger98

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Of all the comparables I listed, I'm thinking this one makes sense for a deal
Bertuzzi 2 years 144 games 42-53-95
Kevin Lebanc 152 games 31-58-89 4x4.725

I think Lebanc has a bit more skill/production, but Bertuzzi is more valuable as a hockey player.

1 year, $4.1M
2 years, $4.3<
3 years, $4. 6M
4 years, $4.9M
5 years, $5.1M

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I agree. But that's not an easy argument to win. And I really don't see it being an issue for us in the next 2-3 years anyway.
Funny thing is, I see Bertuzzi as someone who can extend the depth of our lineup.
I think Bertuzzi might allow us to get away with Fabbri as a 2C, for example.

I'd point to this organization's own recent history.
Ken Holland always got quite a bit of credit for the contracts he signed his younger RFAs to.

Athanasiou got a 2 year deal worth $3M... with a salary cap of $79.5M
After two seasons in which he went 34-28-62.

Anyway, I'm having a hard time with the number Bertuzzi put forth for bertuzzi.
And I have a feeling if I went through any of the Bertuzzi contract threads, I'd find a lot of people agreeing with me.

I'd love to know what comparables Yzerman is using.

I'm sure they'll make future contract negotiations easier.

Ricelund

̶W̶e̶ ̶l̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶o̶u̶r̶ ̶t̶e̶a̶m̶
Apr 16, 2006
New York, NY
Malik wrote a post on Bertuzzi’s arbitration and I found this paragraph interesting:
You and I both know by now that Ken Holland basically viewed a player and his agent actually taking the Detroit Red Wings to salary arbitration as a personal affront, as the few players who actually went to arbitration with the Wings were inevitably traded away.
I don’t recall this ever being the case but I’ve never looked into it.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Malik wrote a post on Bertuzzi’s arbitration and I found this paragraph interesting:

Tatar did, and he got traded not too long after, although I can't remember if he or the team chose that arbitration.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014

Holland handed out golden parachutes like candy for years. Which player would object to that? It was only in the last 2-3 years when they actually started rebuilding, that Holland had a few deals that were very fiscally responsible.

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
ya it’s a new rule
Well that sucks.

I was optimistic in thinking lil’Bert would’ve signed a multi year contract.

I have seen it mentioned how a arbitration with lil’Bert somehow opens the possibility of having another buyout contract...Anyone care to explain how this is possible?

Ishad

Jun 2, 2010
$4.25 for one year seems reasonable. Feels like a really penny pinching move to go to arbitration rather than settle before it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad