Bertuzzi files for Arbitration (UPD: $3.5m)

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I just wanted to add one thing I read from a player about this process from 3 to 4 years ago (can't remember who it was). The player in question mentioned that he was fully happy with the team and treatment by management before the arbitration. The problem he said came as both sides put forth their case, while the player side is all glowing and full of highlights, the team goes the other way and basically run down all the mistakes and bad elements with lots of video examples of bad play, which kind of soured this player about the team he was happy with before hand. I think that is why a lot of players tend to move on shortly afterwards as they may no longer feel like they aren't wanted.

Honestly, I could see Bertuzzi maybe not being here within 2-3 years, although obviously not all players are the same.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Yeah, but that's exactly how arbitration works. Either the two parties work something out before the hearing, or you expect the best highlights from the player's side and the worst lowlights from the team, with the arbiter settling somewhere in the middle.

Sure, nobody LIKES watching their own biggest mistakes. But it shouldn't be a surprise once negotiations have reached arbitration.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Yeah, but that's exactly how arbitration works. Either the two parties work something out before the hearing, or you expect the best highlights from the player's side and the worst lowlights from the team, with the arbiter settling somewhere in the middle.

Sure, nobody LIKES watching their own biggest mistakes. But it shouldn't be a surprise once negotiations have reached arbitration.

I think the problem comes in how either side frames the argument. They have to be honest, and make a good case, but they can't let it seem overly bitter, petty, or acrimonious.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I think the problem comes in how either side frames the argument. They have to be honest, and make a good case, but they can't let it seem overly bitter, petty, or acrimonious.
Ideally, yes. But it's all business, so if I'm having a hearing, I should expect the other side to throw me under the bus a little to try to save some money.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
Stevie says they wanted a longer term but couldn't come to an AAV agreement. Such is life. We'll continue to watch I guess. I'd still like for him to be a part of this team should they ever be good again.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad