Bertuzzi files for Arbitration (UPD: $3.5m)

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
look @ Component Importance section & adjust accordingly. The link above is the default, but I changed it to:

upload_2020-10-10_17-50-0.png

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
My guess is that Bertuzzi wants term and Yzerman isn't giving anyone a long-term deal until he knows what the team is going to shape up to be.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
My guess is that Bertuzzi wants term and Yzerman isn't giving anyone a long-term deal until he knows what the team is going to shape up to be.

But if Bertuzzi wanted term, arbitration isn't really the way to get that. Arbitration will just get you a one year deal, right?

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
But if Bertuzzi wanted term, arbitration isn't really the way to get that. Arbitration will just get you a one year deal, right?
But it normally gets you maximum $$ for a 1 year thing and then you push it along, rather than settling for a 1 or 2 year deal at a lower cost because you are RFA. That's the benefit of Arbitration...if you are a good player you get paid more. The downside of arbitration is if you think you are a good player but really aren't, then you've taken a bad gamble on yourself.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Usually these didn't mean a thing.

Going to arbitration just made offer-sheets unavailable. So it's good for the team.

Think Bertuzzi will be signed normally, before any arbitrations.
I totally agree.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
But it normally gets you maximum $$ for a 1 year thing and then you push it along, rather than settling for a 1 or 2 year deal at a lower cost because you are RFA. That's the benefit of Arbitration...if you are a good player you get paid more. The downside of arbitration is if you think you are a good player but really aren't, then you've taken a bad gamble on yourself.

Sure, I get that. But if your #1 goal is term, isnt it better to sign an offer sheet? Not saying I think he should do that, I'm speaking to the previous poster saying his goal was term.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
Sure, I get that. But if your #1 goal is term, isnt it better to sign an offer sheet? Not saying I think he should do that, I'm speaking to the previous poster saying his goal was term.
Not if you don't want to go to that team. And I was speculating that he wanted term since all players really do. No player I know of wants to contract hop every year or deal with their agent every year in a negotiating process with a team. They all want security and the knowledge of where they are going to be for a foreseeable period of time.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Not if you don't want to go to that team. And I was speculating that he wanted term since all players really do. No player I know of wants to contract hop every year or deal with their agent every year in a negotiating process with a team. They all want security and the knowledge of where they are going to be for a foreseeable period of time.

But how often does an offer sheet actually pan out. I can only think of a couple in the last 20 years. I just dont think term was likely the #1 motivator, but who knows, I could be wrong.

As to the bold, of course, I was never arguing any of that.

golffuul

Oct 24, 2011
I think what is at issue is that Yzerman appears to not be giving out long-term contracts to just anyone, until he knows what the makeup of this team is going to be. And even though players want term, that if Yzerman is telling players to just keep at it and make yourself part of the "plan", then sometimes a player has to take a gamble and just take the 1-year deal from arbitration, while still getting a good $$ value, and then come back the next year and say to Yzerman, "Good enough?" I think that the last year or so has been a bit of an ordeal with a lot of veterans playing very subpar hockey. This year, now that they are gone, how will the young guns react and will they make the team their own now that they don't have the flock of albatrosses hanging around.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
My guess he would be awarded in the $2.75 to $3.25 AAV range for 2 seasons (then becoming a UFA).

Both sides could accept, or ignore this, and work out a deal.

Can you name even one comparable RFA who got less than $3M?

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
I think what is at issue is that Yzerman appears to not be giving out long-term contracts to just anyone, until he knows what the makeup of this team is going to be. And even though players want term, that if Yzerman is telling players to just keep at it and make yourself part of the "plan", then sometimes a player has to take a gamble and just take the 1-year deal from arbitration, while still getting a good $$ value, and then come back the next year and say to Yzerman, "Good enough?" I think that the last year or so has been a bit of an ordeal with a lot of veterans playing very subpar hockey. This year, now that they are gone, how will the young guns react and will they make the team their own now that they don't have the flock of albatrosses hanging around.

I'm assuming you meant to quote me, not yourself?

When you articulate your argument like this, I agree with you.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad