Rumor: Berggren about to be traded?

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
He dropped 28 points on a 4th line with primarily Veleno and whoever else. If you think his max capability is 20-40points... I don't know what to tell you.

Stick Kane with Veleno and Fischer and see how many points he gets there...

It's the same silliness with people that didn't believe Hudler could be effective because he wasn't suited for the bottom 6. Got an opportunity to play on a scoring line and finished top 10 in league scoring. This organization has a long history of square pegs and round holes. It's not the player's fault if the organization can't figure out how to properly use them.

Easier to pick up pts against the lower defensive units they play against. For example, if you gave Sprong 4-5 more minutes a night on the top line or 2nd line, I don't think he gets much more than he currently does, because right now a skill shooter can take advantage of worse defenders playing them. You move up a line, you play against harder competition, which even with better linemates doesn't guarantee you produce more.

You put Kane on the 4th line, and not only does he still produce, but Veleno would start cashing in on chances going against other 4th lines, with a HOF passer on his wing.

Hudler also wasn't anything special. He was a good player, not even close to a play driver or game changer. Like I said, some think he has a lot of skill, when I watch him play, every now and then he makes a nice play, but most of the time he spends the whole shift not really doing much to help. Also, he is smallish and doesn't really play defence or forecheck, which puts him in the Sprong category.

Just wanted to add - Hope he proves me wrong, of course we want another pt getter, I just don't see that much from him. If I am wrong, than good for him and Detroit and us fans.

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Man, did everyone sleep on him in free agency. Nice resurgence for him. I wish we had him for more years when the Wings were competitive.
Highest scoring rate of his career. At 34 years old. Pretty impressive. I too wish he had matched up better with the Wings good years. I remember getting some sports add-on for Directv back in the day, when Nyquist was starting his freshman year in college. Suddenly I was able to get most Maine hockey games. I watched Nyquist like every other weekend, was a big fan right away. Good to see him continue to have success.

IMG_0802.jpeg

Reactions: RedWingzz

jaster

Take me off ignore, please.
Jun 8, 2007
Like I said, some think he has a lot of skill, when I watch him play, every now and then he makes a nice play, but most of the time he spends the whole shift not really doing much to help. Also, he is smallish and doesn't really play defence or forecheck, which puts him in the Sprong category.
It's the old cliche... the transition to the NHL is the most difficult transition, by far, of any progression up the hockey ladder. Berggren has shown plenty of ability at lower levels, he's had success, it's why he got drafted where he did after all. But not all players can get their game to translate to the NHL. Others do, but it takes a long time. To your point, Berggren's biggest issue is consistency, like most young players. Those "flashes" have to happen multiple times a game for him to have real value in the NHL, and until that happens his overall game isn't good enough to be anything more than a Quad-A player. He's Taro Hirose with skating.

Reactions: Oddbob

SirloinUB

Aug 20, 2010
Canada
He dropped 28 points on a 4th line with primarily Veleno and whoever else. If you think his max capability is 20-40points... I don't know what to tell you.

Stick Kane with Veleno and Fischer and see how many points he gets there...

It's the same silliness with people that didn't believe Hudler could be effective because he wasn't suited for the bottom 6. Got an opportunity to play on a scoring line and finished top 10 in league scoring. This organization has a long history of square pegs and round holes. It's not the player's fault if the organization can't figure out how to properly use them.

How much do you value career years vs what a player can actually produced year to year? Hudler was a 40-55 point player who popped off to the 70s once. That's not a knock on Hudler either but let's not act like Hudler started rattling off 70 point seasons with "more opportunity."

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
How much do you value career years vs what a player can actually produced year to year? Hudler was a 40-55 point player who popped off to the 70s once. That's not a knock on Hudler either but let's not act like Hudler started rattling off 70 point seasons with "more opportunity."

Player getting more ice time on worse team scores more points. News at 11.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
eh, I still remember Hudler getting a prolonged look next to Z and Flip, and I thought he looked fine there and that line really clicked. I wouldn't have hesitated to have given him a longer look in that spot, and I think he could have made it work long term.

At the same time his skating was a clear issue at his size. And being a 55 point guy on any line isn't something to knock. Wish we could have kept him.

Reactions: SirloinUB

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Calgary had 97pts to Detroit's 100 that year. And he outscored both Z and Pavel.

Dude had one perfect storm season right before his game fell off a cliff. 57 points combined over the next 2 seasons. And he was out of the NHL at the age of 33.

Zetterberg was already 35 at the time Hudler outscored him. Datsyuk age 37 and was over a PPG that season.

What are we trying to prove here exactly? Hudler was a complimentary piece and out of the league in the blink of an eye after his big year.

Reactions: Oddbob

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Dude had one perfect storm season right before his game fell off a cliff. 57 points combined over the next 2 seasons. And he was out of the NHL at the age of 33.

Zetterberg was already 35 at the time Hudler outscored him. Datsyuk age 37 and was over a PPG that season.

What are we trying to prove here exactly? Hudler was a complimentary piece and out of the league in the blink of an eye after his big year.

it was a hell of a season to be fair

he was 8th in the entire league in points and pretty convincingly lead his team

OldnotDeadWings

Sep 18, 2013
Calgary had 97pts to Detroit's 100 that year. And he outscored both Z and Pavel.

He did have a great year, eventually. I was happy for Happy, always appreciated the obvious joy he had in playing the game.

I meant he scored more than the 50 points he scored in his last season in Detroit, when the Wings were a playoff team and the Flames missed the playoffs Thus, he joined a worse team. In the following lockout season he had 27 points in 42 GP, a higher PPG rate than in his last Detroit season. The Wings were still a playoff team while the Flames were 13th in the WC. The following year he scored 54 points, three points less than his Detroit career high but in seven less games, and the Flames were again worse than Detroit, missing the playoffs. In his breakout season the Wings still finished with more points, the Flames went a round further in the playoffs. Essentially the same quality, but by then both the Flames and Wings were significantly different teams than when Hudler last played in Detroit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad