Confirmed with Link: Bergevin, Timmins & Paul Wilson Fired & Jeff Gorton Hired As EVP of Hockey Ops

Status
Not open for further replies.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Roy will be the president and gm of the new Quebec Nordiques, the relocated Ottawa Senators.
Quebec will never get a team - US owners on the NHL board of governors will never approve Quebec, small potatoes for where the NHL wants to go.

Jacobs has already said many times Quebec just doesn’t have the corporate or disposable income potential to deserve a team

Reactions: ForeverHabs97

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I like Daniel Briere as GM. Second would be Madden Jr.

Maybe even both, with one of them taking on an AGM role.

Wild card is what they do with head of scouting. Martin Lapointe can’t possibly be the guy.

Jul 6, 2016
Quebec will never get a team - US owners on the NHL board of governors will never approve Quebec, small potatoes for where the NHL wants to go.

Jacobs has already said many times Quebec just doesn’t have the corporate or disposable income potential to deserve a team

Jacobs is only one vote. Ottawa with 11,000 fans in the stands is better than Quebec who would fill it's 18,500 seats every games ?

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Jacobs is only one vote. Ottawa with 11,000 fans in the stands is better than Quebec who would fill it's 18,500 seats every games ?
Sens will be moved to US at some point - but Ottawas disposable income base + corporate level are both significantly higher than Quebec City

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex

Jacobs is the most influential owner in the league.

Also the top candidate to own the team is Quebecor and they are public with their spending numbers. The NHL doesn't want that at all. So you need to find an owner that isn't Quebecor with deep pockets and can convince Jacobs and the owners that listen to him to move a team to Quebec City. Good luck.

Jul 6, 2016
Jacobs is the most influential owner in the league.

Also the top candidate to own the team is Quebecor and they are public with their spending numbers. The NHL doesn't want that at all. So you need to find an owner that isn't Quebecor with deep pockets and can convince Jacobs and the owners that listen to him to move a team to Quebec City. Good luck.
Ii don't give a shit about Jacobs. Bettman is the main obstacle.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014

No but it's about market growth, a team in Quebec City doesn't expend the NHL market, it would mostly eat in the market share of the Habs (and the Sens if it's not a relocation).

The NHL want to create "new" fans, and that's kind of why they have prioritized the south of the US for a awhile now, it's an untapped market.

Last edited:

Dach Vader

The Dachside
Mar 31, 2021
Waking up to this news that the Bergy era is over. It's kind of surreal. There is a lot to like about Bergevin as a GM and individual. I always admired his style and presence. I could never question his desire and passion for the team. I know he wanted to make the team great and I appreciate his "we don't tank mentality". He's made a lot of solid moves over the years and a couple big mistakes. He learned and got better on the go. I would have been epic to see his reaction if the team had won it all last year. The memes would have lasted a century..

I appreciate Bergevin and part of me is sad to see him go.

I'm happy that Molson is making a change here. This is needed. The organization needs a new leader the players, coaching, management, staff, zambini driver etc need to start from scratch and be looked at with no attachment. Jeff Gorton seems like a solid guy to bring in. Hopefully we've offered him enough to give him a reason to stay. Let him school our (French) GM like Masai & Webster on the Raptors.

luthar

Nov 29, 2011
Mtl
We talked alot about the usual suspects (Bergevin and Thimmins) but why was Paul Wilson let go? He's the Public Affair guy....

Jul 6, 2016
No but it's about market growth, a team in Quebec City doesn't expend the NHL market, it would mostly eat in the market share of the Habs (and the Sens if it's not a relocation).

The NHL want to create "new" fans, and that's kind of why they have prioritized the south of the US for a awhile now, it's a untapped market.

Does Ottawa do anything for the Canadian market ?

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
How long til French QC media starts making a thing about this…or have they already lol.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham

The NHL want to create "new" fans, and that's kind of why they have prioritized the south of the US for a awhile now, it's a untapped market.

Their growing the game has never worked. The south has always had bad attendances and bad corporate support. These franchises stay alive cause the NHL is basically a welfare league. And their TV contracts sucks. At the very least having a team in Quebec would help the well of Canadian players who is diminishing year by year. Kids do not play hockey anymore. Having a team in Quebec would create an enthusiasm in the whole Province. I believe it would help as far as hockey inscriptions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese