Confirmed with Link: Bergevin, Timmins & Paul Wilson Fired & Jeff Gorton Hired As EVP of Hockey Ops

Status
Not open for further replies.

frenchcanayan

Jul 26, 2021
If the GM is going to manage the rosters transactions etc then how is it Gordon's team. I don't understand what the hell this means. And when has a VP of hockey operations been the one who's made trades and signings. Doesn't the general manager always do that? I hope that Molson has the gall to out a puppet in place to please the Francophones who will accept losing over winning with the best candidate regardless of language or heritage but I'm struggling to believe that would be the case. Who is going to agree to be a GM and accept GM awards for someone elses accomplishments in a position involving competitive sports. I just don't see the manager not being the one building the team

I mean I’m pretty sure Ron Hextall took the job in Pittsburgh when everyone knew the owners would be breathing down the new GM’s neck… probably knew the team was going to be on the market soon (or maybe not but still).

What make you think a guy with less experience and status would say no to having a better job / better salary / better status etc just to say he’s unhappy that his boss takes the decisions ? Things just need to be clear from the start. No GM / Executive does it alone anyway

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I've only been following the Habs/NHL closely since 2011≈. So all I really know is the MB area. Onto the next chapter.

I feel for you, but hope this next chapter brings more excitement than the last one.

No more, let's try to win with as many grinders we dig out of the bargain bin as possible mentality.

Reactions: amethyst

SOLR

Jun 4, 2006
Toronto / North York
This is exactly why Roy will not get an NHL job as a GM. The idea that one person runs an organization is archaic. Any well run organization is a team. It may have a leader but all that will be fluid depending on what decisions are being made. There needs to be discussion and give and take... I'm sure this is what Gorton will be building in MTL. It's the only way to be successful.

So what is Yzerman running exactly?

Roy has a team, the notion that he wants to do it all alone is quite a bit of a meme. Roy just wants to be "the man", much like the top 15 GMs are.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
This is exactly why Roy will not get an NHL job as a GM. The idea that one person runs an organization is archaic. Any well run organization is a team. It may have a leader but all that will be fluid depending on what decisions are being made. There needs to be discussion and give and take... I'm sure this is what Gorton will be building in MTL. It's the only way to be successful.

Exactly. Gorton is there to hire the right people and they will all discuss the moves of the team. Molson didn’t hire a despot.

Reactions: Redux91

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
I've only been following the Habs/NHL closely since 2011≈. So all I really know is the MB area. Onto the next chapter.

Man I'm so sorry for you. Many hardcore fans have completely lost interest since he came in, that's how bad it has been.

Sure the teams we're better and more competitive than during the Houle era, but Bergevin killed all the fun aspects of the game. I'm really hoping I can get excited to watch a game again.

SergeConstantin74

Always right.
Jul 7, 2007
This is looking like the Habs is Gorton’s team.

If you think that Roy will come in and answer and follow Gorton’s plan, you guys are wrong.

Roy would want complete control.

I don’t think Roy will be in the running but that’s a stupid take.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Radulov loved Montreal. He played for the Remparts for 2 seasons, and was hoping to be drafted in Montreal. He wanted to stay, but Bergevin disrespected him publicly during the negotiation, so he took the better option.

That is, of course, an opinion

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
This is the best
Like Star Wars. A New Hope

Lets just hope that it wont end up like the sequel trilogy with the new management

Id prefer something like The Habs Strikes Back with rebuilding the organization instead of the death star

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Well the public disrespect happened on live television so it's not an opinion.
For the rest, well, no one can read mind so we will never know I suppose. But I see no indication that Radulov didn't like playing for the Habs.

If Bergevin didn't get cute with him he would still be a Hab. He was the best forward in the regular season and playoffs and Bergevin was hard balling him. $6.25M was a steal for Dallas. Montreal should have been offering him $6.5M-$7M out the gate. Bergevin pouted in public because he matched the $6.25M but Radulov already said yes to Dallas.

He put up to 70 point seasons and was great in the playoffs for Dallas. He should have been doing it in Montreal. Bergevin screwed up. He gets credit for signing Radulov in the first place when he denied him a two year deal like Detroit was offering and made him sign a one year. Just complete incompetence in handling a gem that falls in your lap.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Totally shocked.

Insert the sarcasm meme.

Wasn’t the guy Wilson replaced, Daniel Beauchamp, employing similar strong arm tactics that he justified as a means of protecting the brand? Habs have always strived to turn the media into a propaganda arm. How was Wilson any different?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad