Speculation: Bergevin shut down by owner.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
The most under-performing person right-now is Molson. He's the reason we are this bad. If he's not going to do something than he should sell the team to someone who cares.
How the hell does he give MB a 5 year extension two years before his deal has even expired? That's the dumbest shit I've ever seen. MB is only now in his first year! :laugh:

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
BGL is a crapshoot.

He was wrong when called for Radulov having signed a 3-year extension with the Habs. On June 18, 2017, he said this:
«Radulov y aurait une entente de 3 ans qui serait faite» —Georges Laraque

LINK: RadioEGO.com - «Radulov y aurait une entente de 3 ans qui serait faite» —Georges Laraque

There are other instances where he throws stuff at the wall and a lot of times it doesn't stick.
He has no credibility at all as far as I'm concerned.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
Seriously wouldn't surprise me one bit, the organization is too silent, something's cooking.

Just had that 'gut feeling' last week that, indeed, MB was shut down on major trades, can't see Pacioretty gone, for instance. But that's a simple gut feeling, a feeling I'm sure some others share.

BGL doesn't hold a whole lot of credibility because of the way he phrase things, not necessarily because he's not connected (he does have connections, don't doubt that), but sometimes he just dabbles too hard in sensationalism, but it isn't exactly his forte, and it backfired on him on a couple occasions.

covfefe

Zoltan Poszar's Burner
Feb 5, 2014
I agree
I'm not thrilled with Bergevin and would open a change but this week is not the time.

Bergevin has actually had success at trade deadlines and has never really sold assets/young players low before (PK was more off ice politics than anything).

So I don't even feel too worried about Bergevin messing up this week - I think he might do a good job too.

I have a good feeling that we are about to go on a 5 game winning streak and inch ever so slightly closer to the Sun

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
If a GM makes blockbuster trades due to politics rather than hockey, it's a reason to be extremely concerned. That was his biggest trade and he did sell low. The team is demonstrably worse than 2 seasons ago and continues that trend today.

It boggles the mind that people can be so cavalier about Bergevin continuing to make trades that are likely at best, useless, and quite possibly destructive.

We do know by observation that Bergevin's pro-scouting is abysmal and it appears there's no one in his circle of advisors that are more than enabling head nodders. There's no reason to assume there are calmer heads to prevail.

I hate the Subban trade more than you do so I'm not absolving Bergevin of responsibility in any way when I say the PK trade was political more than hockey related.

But when he has made hockey trades - he's usually done fairly well. He's almost never sold low. (He didn't trade away Galch when everyone expected him to and his value was low).

So if you want him fired? Fine. Just not 3 days before trade deadline.

And if you want him fired even 3 days before trade deadline - well I say it's not necessary because he's not really hurt us with deadline moves before. He's usually done pretty well there.

Forum93

Feb 16, 2015
I hate the Subban trade more than you do so I'm not absolving Bergevin of responsibility in any way when I say the PK trade was political more than hockey related.

But when he has made hockey trades - he's usually done fairly well. He's almost never sold low. (He didn't trade away Galch when everyone expected him to and his value was low).

And if you want him fired even 3 days before trade deadline - well I say it's not necessary because he's not really hurt us with deadline moves before. He's usually done pretty well there.

He can't be trusted to do any more deals. I don't care if they fire him now before the trade deadline, he's done enough damage already.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
How the hell does he give MB a 5 year extension two years before his deal has even expired? That's the dumbest **** I've ever seen. MB is only now in his first year! :laugh:

Yeah nothing has changed since we all first found out.
Initial reaction for most of us was...
WOT

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005

What good hockey trades has been made that impacted the team long term? All his good moves are followed by not doing something to keep the team improved.

I mean Sergachev as a rookie is outscoring a 4th year forward. And he has already surpassed said players rookie's totals.

Uber Coca

Apr 23, 2003
Montreal
How likely is it that Molson will go the Toronto way? Firing Bergevin and hiring a GM with the specific task of unloading the current talent and load on picks/prospects? Because I simply don't agree with some analysts that this team doesn't need a proper rebuild. The Habs are not a trade or two away of being good again.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Lotsa optimism here since these rumours are surfacing. Gotta stay faithful to my logical beliefs regarding this organisation tho. If I was a betting man I would bet on MB staying here for another year . I'd be extatic if I lost that bet

SakuKoivu11

Jun 29, 2017
One of my friend is related to management in the Habs system. From what I heard from her is that upper management I.e owners not name Molson wants to go in a new direction. I don’t know if that means getting rid of Bergevin and Co? Or rebuilding. She said after the lottery decisions will be made.

Last edited by a moderator:

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Seriously wouldn't surprise me one bit, the organization is too silent, something's cooking.

Just had that 'gut feeling' last week that, indeed, MB was shut down on major trades, can't see Pacioretty gone, for instance. But that's a simple gut feeling, a feeling I'm sure some others share.

BGL doesn't hold a whole lot of credibility because of the way he phrase things, not necessarily because he's not connected (he does have connections, don't doubt that), but sometimes he just dabbles too hard in sensationalism, but it isn't exactly his forte, and it backfired on him on a couple occasions.

I felt the same way, Pacioretty went from the hottest player on the trade market to barely on the list and now might be moved at the draft, it gave me a glimmer of hope. In any case if Bergevin is not replaced I think that he is bulletproof and will continue to destroy this franchise which is very sad.

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
How likely is it that Molson will go the Toronto way? Firing Bergevin and hiring a GM with the specific task of unloading the current talent and load on picks/prospects? Because I simply don't agree with some analysts that this team doesn't need a proper rebuild. The Habs are not a trade or two away of being good again.

That's not what Toronto did.
They didn't even got as many top 60 picks in one draft than the Habs already got this year.
They didn't pick twice in the 1st round since 2011.
They didn't made thousand of trade, they only traded Kessel, Phaneuf and a 2-3 spare parts.

But they did went out and got what they needed.
They traded a 1st + 2nd in their rebuild in order to get a goaltender.

It's not about winning trades, it's not about having as many picks as possible and it's not about trading everyone.
It's about getting what the team needs.

That's where Bergevin failed and keep failing.

Reactions: ArtPeur

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
That's not what Toronto did.
They didn't even got as many top 60 picks in one draft than the Habs already got this year.
They didn't pick twice in the 1st round since 2011.
They didn't made thousand of trade, they only traded Kessel, Phaneuf and a 2-3 spare parts.

But they did went out and got what they needed.
They traded a 1st + 2nd in their rebuild in order to get a goaltender.

It's not about winning trades, it's not about having as many picks as possible and it's not about trading everyone.
It's about getting what the team needs.

That's where Bergevin failed and keep failing.

Its about winning the lottery baby !!:laugh:

In all seriousness I'm afraid if we win the lottery bergevin goes all in with dahlin at 18 years old and postpones any type of retool-rebuild

Reactions: Milhouse40

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
If any of this is true which I doubt, than the fault lies in Molson and not Bergevin. It would be the second known time he interferes with his GM. If he's getting involved in these decisions and not giving his GM reign then he's the one who should be removed as President and replaced.

If Bergevin is the GM, let him do his job. If you have no confidence in him, fire him. This isn't a role you can do with one foot out the door.

Reactions: Miller Time

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad