Speculation: Bergevin shut down by owner.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Scorched earth rebuild.

It's the only option.

All other options are just people trying to shield their brains away from accepting the reality that we won't be competitive for five years.

My biggest fear is that they go with a second in command like Mellanby and end up with a Nonis style retool which just leads to the team losing potential trade assets and being further in the hole.

If Bergevin got fired, they brought in INSERT GUY/GIRL YOU LIKE HERE who fires everyone and trades all the top talent for draft picks in 2018, 2019, and 2020, this team could look amazing by 2022/2023. Even if some of the picks don't pan out or take longer than expected. Even if you don't nail first overall in those years, the team would be bad enough to get top 5 picks. Especially in 2020 which could be very deep for centres if certain teenagers pan out like they look like they will.

But if we Nonis it, we could miss out on all those potential prospects.

Apoplectic Habs Fan

Aug 17, 2002
I dont think you commit to Pacioretty one way or another so trading is the only option. He isnt someone you build a team around.

Its whether he is worth more now, at draft or next deadline. Contenders get two runs with him. At draft there could be more suitors. Next yr is a lottery ticket. Who knows what becomes of him as his game appears to be declining.

To me its this year or draft you get best return

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Problem is I dont see Patches rebounding.

As MB was getting rid of or losing all our PMDs, did he not know that Patches relied on the stretch passes he was being fed by them to score a huge % of his goals ?

As MB wasnt at the least prepared to offer Rads more than the Stars to
try to entice him to stay did he not see that Rads was important to Patches as a set up guy ?

On top of it all, CJ likes a short pass game. Again , not helpful to Patches. Note Patches has grumbled about our system.

So unless next year we have puck moving D with the skill to hit on those bombs ( Jerabek trade and usage shows otherwise ), unless we get another guy like Rads, and unless CJ changes the system for Patches, then I dont see Patches doing any better. In fact with the frustration he clearly shows, it could be worse.

At least with one poor season where everything went south you can brush it off in part to that. Another year like this and Patches value really drops.

Offer to retain, make it a bigger package like adding in Shaw if need be, but get us our young centre back as part of it. But yeah, if it just isnt there then we have to wait until the draft to try again.

Your elite goal scorer is at his most dangerous when he’s on the rush and you completely axe the team of any puck moving defenceman. Makes a lot of sense, right?

habergeon

Apr 15, 2015
If Molson did shut down Bergevin from rebuilding, then he's even worse than the GM. There's a ton of teams competing for assets this year, teams that have good prospect pools.

I agree with you, but if the real plan is to give carte blanche to the new incoming GM I'm OK with hanging on to a guy like Patches until the draft.

Maybe he's not opposed to rebuilding, but opposed to Bergevin rebuilding, which would be a seismic shift (and a welcome one)

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
I agree with you, but if the real plan is to give carte blanche to the new incoming GM I'm OK with hanging on to a guy like Patches until the draft.

Maybe he's not opposed to rebuilding, but opposed to Bergevin rebuilding, which would be a seismic shift (and a welcome one)
That's assuming that Bergevin is actually in the chopping block. Teams are more desperate before the playoffs than before the season imo. I remember Gainey mentioning that good players are more appealing at the draft from a buying standpoint.

Reactions: habergeon

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
If Molson did shut down Bergevin from rebuilding, then he's even worse than the GM. There's a ton of teams competing for assets this year, teams that have good prospect pools.

If we needed bottom 6 skaters and 5,6 Dmen, I'd probably let Bergevin make those deals.

Other GMs know his MO and will try to skin him, but good. As far as acquiring skilled players, I trust the Disaster Artist to go down like the Hindenburg, every time.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
"Losing a defensmen of Shea's calibre is tough to replace..."
"Having a new system in place was hard for this team to succeed in..." and so on
6 yrs of excuses...........there is always something with this clown..............the first 2-3 seasons we had to give him the benefit of the doubt...........the last 3 seasons not so much.............how Molson keeps this guy around is astounding...

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
So who makes those trades, certainly not the idiot in the GM's chair.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
My biggest fear is that they go with a second in command like Mellanby and end up with a Nonis style retool which just leads to the team losing potential trade assets and being further in the hole.

If Bergevin got fired, they brought in INSERT GUY/GIRL YOU LIKE HERE who fires everyone and trades all the top talent for draft picks in 2018, 2019, and 2020, this team could look amazing by 2022/2023. Even if some of the picks don't pan out or take longer than expected. Even if you don't nail first overall in those years, the team would be bad enough to get top 5 picks. Especially in 2020 which could be very deep for centres if certain teenagers pan out like they look like they will.

But if we Nonis it, we could miss out on all those potential prospects.
Bergevin is our Nonis..........

Reactions: McGuires Corndog

Darkstorm

I Am Awesome
Jul 30, 2012
Montreal
Well they fired Serge Savard, Réjean Houle during the Season. So anything can happen. It won’t make any sense to fire the GM before the TDL, you fire him once the Season is over, that way they have time to find a new GM months before the Draft. He will have time to consult his scouting staff on who they should Draft.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->