Post-Game Talk: Bergevin Press Conference at 3:30

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Looking at the press conference of most Canadian GM today I felt that most of them were really honest about their answer, gave a lot of insght into what they are working on or tried to do... specially Murray who clear even seemed rattle and frustrated.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
MB at the end of the season was asked about Galchenyuk's possibility at centre. He replied "We drafted him as a centre."

That says it all.

But when is he gonna play center? Until DD's contract expires?

In his very first season, he almost outproduced DD now, there's absolutely no spot for him at center since DD is basically unmoveable from our first line because apparently he's the only center that can make Pacioretty work, Plekanec is at his place on the 2nd line and Eller deserves his on the third line. So who are we gonna kick out to make room for Chuckie at center? We can't move Plek or Eller on the wings, it would be stupid... so it leaves us DD. Him again.

Seriously, I still frown everytime I see DD as our first center in almost every line up proposal. It's like it's a given. DD deserves his contract because he's a 3.5M$ player... but how the hell is a 3.5M$ player a TOP line center? I hear we need to fill this hole here and there.. yet no one is talking about our first line center, being a 3M$ player, that gets 50 pts as a first line center... While our potential franchise center is still being used as a ****ing winger.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
?? He was pretty close to if not our best forward for the last two games vs ny.

Fatigue was a huge factor.
He was our best rested warrior.
I give very high marks to a handfull of players for PO performance.
He was certainly one of them. :handclap:
I need to be giving high marks to two handfulls...

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
im getting scared with galchenyuk. hes my favourite habs player and i have his jersey in my closet right now, so dont say im just hating. i just dont think hes really progressed since he was 18.. maybe its because we havent had a centre like this in my lifetime but i dont know when he'll finally take the next step. im obviously getting too far ahead of myself but i expected him to be good sooner

It's understandable.

I am eager to see him dominate too, to be honest.

Small steps will make him into a star. We only need to ease him into a 3rd line C role. He absolutely need it.

He's shown us a lot of qualities. He was our best player in the finals and he came up big last year in the PO's also. We do have a bright future at center.

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
Galchenyuk came in cold into the thick of the ECF and was our best player.. We will see a new Chucky this season

You're one of the few here who've figured it out. It takes young players a couple of years to be ready and then Boom!, they're good to go. Whether it's next year or the year after that, one day we'll be surprised at how easily he manages to play the game.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Looking at the press conference of most Canadian GM today I felt that most of them were really honest about their answer, gave a lot of insght into what they are working on or tried to do... specially Murray who clear even seemed rattle and frustrated.

I really liked his presser. He was very honest and candid.

Must be difficult to have to answer to a Canadian fanbase with ownership financial limitations looming above your head. You don't see that in Canada. Obviously I love to see the Sens fail, but Murray has been dealt a real terrible hand by not only Melnyk, but his own star players.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
The only thing I wonder about with Galchenyuk is what he's doing in his off seasons. Seems like he's on vacation right now. Main camp is less than 3 months away. Chop chop, Alex, get your ass in the gym.

He does need to get stronger and faster. He needs to do that in the off-season. I'm just wondering if he's doing it.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
The only thing I wonder about with Galchenyuk is what he's doing in his off seasons. Seems like he's on vacation right now. Main camp is less than 3 months away. Chop chop, Alex, get your ass in the gym.

He does need to get stronger and faster. He needs to do that in the off-season. I'm just wondering if he's doing it.

well he's a REPUTED gym rat and came into camp last year having added the most weight at 8 lbs of muscle..

soooo yeah..

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal

I ran into him the other day and he was quite concerned before he left for his summer vacation what you thought of it

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012

i was kind of wondering this myself. he's apparently a gym rat but who does he train with? I'd feel better if he was training with Gary Roberts or Gallagher or PK or Cammy. He might not be getting the best results he could be getting.

I'm not incredibly worried but all you ever hear is 'he's a gym rat'.

if he doesn't have a pretty substantial leap in his strength or quickness next season then I'd make sure he's training with someone who can push him.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
well he's a REPUTED gym rat and came into camp last year having added the most weight at 8 lbs of muscle..

soooo yeah..

How do you know he gained 8 pounds of muscle? Did you run the lean body mass calculation? Did the habs make that available?

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
i was kind of wondering this myself. he's apparently a gym rat but who does he train with? I'd feel better if he was training with Gary Roberts or Gallagher or PK or Cammy. He might not be getting the best results he could be getting.

I'm not incredibly worried but all you ever hear is 'he's a gym rat'.

if he doesn't have a pretty substantial leap in his strength or quickness next season then I'd make sure he's training with someone who can push him.

I would just be a lot more comfortable if a video came out of him doing a 57" box jump. :laugh:

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
How do you know he gained 8 pounds of muscle? Did you run the lean body mass calculation? Did the habs make that available?

During training camp this year

while everyone was freaking out about the Eller gained 20 lbs of muscle debacle a reporter came out and said it was galchenyuk that actually came into camp with the biggest weight difference from year past coming in with 8 lbs heavier or whatnot and it wasn't from junk food

cant find the link, go find it yourself

Gamimenos

Apr 28, 2009
So far, Bergy's moves in the offseason have been consistent. It's always: bring in veteran depth, make space for the kids that earned a spot, cut the fat. A slow, progressive and fruitful process.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
During training camp this year

while everyone was freaking out about the Eller gained 20 lbs of muscle debacle a reporter came out and said it was galchenyuk that actually came into camp with the biggest weight difference from year past coming in with 8 lbs heavier or whatnot and it wasn't from junk food

cant find the link, go find it yourself

Sounds like B.S. to me.

highstick14*

I think Galchenyuk's plateau is 20 goals, 50 points. I think he's overrated, imo. It wasn't a great draft year. He's got decent hands, but his skating is below average.

People are expecting him to be Anze Kopitar, it's just not gonna happen.

DAChampion

May 28, 2011
I think Galchenyuk's plateau is 20 goals, 50 points. I think he's overrated, imo. It wasn't a great draft year. He's got decent hands, but his skating is below average.

Over the years I've seen exactly the same posts written with respect to Koivu, Subban, Price, etc.

sharks9

Jan 16, 2012
Canada

So you're saying Galchenyuk's basically already hit his plateau at 20? Despite the fact most people in his draft year haven't made the NHL, Galchenyuk has practically plateaued and will only get about 10 points more per year? :help:

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
16M$ left

Assume 8,5M for Subby, and about 3M for Eller..

that leaves us about 4M$

Moen is 1,85 that we could lose.

Bourque is another player that could be moved. Based on his playoffs and contract(low salary the next 2 years), he is probably moveable for a pick right now if another winger is added(UFA or trade).

Thank you.

Next year might be a headache with Galchenyuk and Gallagher contracts.

I think Gallagher will get a good sized raise as his current cap hit is only 685k, I expect him around 2.75-4 mil depending on term. Obviously if he breaks out and scores 30 then it will be a higher range.

Galchenyuk with his bonus stuff, his cap hit won't be that much higher, again, unless he has a major break out year.

I'm not too worried about next year, if the cap goes to around 75 mil, we'll have a ton of space even after extending Eller and Subban. In 2 years a lot of contracts will be up...Parenteau Prust Bourque Gilbert Plekanec so a ton of flexibility.

On Galchenyuk, M.B repeats and repeats that the player will make the decision for them...

1 1/8 season in Junior to the NHL ... lost a year in rehab with his knee, give him time... let him show is talent ... don't give him a spot, let him earn it.. the tools, the character, the love of the game, he has it..

I have no problem with Galchenyuk playing LW with Plekanec, he has a ton of freedom on that line to play the "center" role and create offense with Plekanec taking care of the defensive side. Eller is a RFA, Plekanec only has 2 years left and Desharnais only 3, so if he takes a big step forward next year, it won't be a tough move to shift him to center to give him a bigger role.

As MB said, when he is ready for bigger responsibility, his play will tell us. Right now he is showing potential and flashes of brilliance...the flashes need to turn into 4-5 game periods and then pretty consistently being a force offensively.

I don't like comparing guys to Kopitar and those guys...

Galchenyuk has the puck skills to be a top 10 scorer, wether he gets there is up to him. Last year he got hurt and it derailed him a bit. Plus he had tougher matchups than the insulated minutes he saw most of 12-13 so that was an adjustment. I think he has a chance to put up 50-60 points this coming year if he can stay healthy.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes