Post-Game Talk: Bergevin Press Conference at 3:30

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I think Galchenyuk's plateau is 20 goals, 50 points. I think he's overrated, imo. It wasn't a great draft year. He's got decent hands, but his skating is below average.

People are expecting him to be Anze Kopitar, it's just not gonna happen.

That's an extremely pessimistic outlook on Gachenyuk's potential. It was a very good draft year, by the
way.

To say his skating is below average is ridiculous. Chuck is a strong skater who needs to develop some better explosiveness and acceleration.

He has tremendous vision, is an elite passer, has a wicked wrister, and is developing a physical game.

He also has those 'intangibles' which elite players invariably possess.

I personally feel you're out to lunch with your evaluation, but perhaps you'd like to present some evidence or observations?

(here's Top 30 from that draft - pretty good year I'd say.)

2012 NHL ENTRY DRAFT
TSN RANKING PLAYER DRAFTED BY TAKEN OVERALL

1 Nail Yakupov
2 Ryan Murray
3 Filip Forsberg
4 Griffin Reinhart
5 Alex Galchenyuk
6 Mathew Dumba
7 Teuvo Teravainen
8 Morgan Rielly
9 Jacob Trouba
10 Olli Maatta
11 Radek Faksa
12 Mikhail Grigorenko
13 Zemgus Girgensons
14 Cody Ceci
15 Hampus Lindholm
16 Slater Koekkoek
17 Derrick Pouliot
18 Thomas Wilson
19 Tomas Hertl
20 Brendan Gaunce
21 Matthew Finn
22 Brady Skjei
23 Stefan Matteau
24 Andrei Vasilevski
25 Malcolm Subban
26 Michael Matheson
27 Sebastien Collberg
28 Scott Laughton
29 Tanner Pearson
30 Phillip Di Giuseppe

Last edited:

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
I expect 25 goals & 70 points pretty much every year for Galchenyuk in his prime. No way his plateau is 50 points...

He's produced at a 40 pt rate at a very young age with practically no PP time.

Last edited:

zzoo

Mar 9, 2004
I expect 25 goals & 70 points pretty much every year for Galchenyuk in his prime. No way his plateau is 50 points...

He's produced at a 40 pt rate at a very young age with practically no PP time.
If Galchenyuk gets 70 pts in his prime, I'd be very disappointed. That means he will be as good as Plekanec ? I expect much more than that.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
If Galchenyuk gets 70 pts in his prime, I'd be very disappointed. That means he will be as good as Plekanec ? I expect much more than that.

Did you miss the part where I said every year (so like 5-7 years in a row)? Plek has only hit that plateau twice in his career.

FinnHab

May 24, 2006
overseas...
Just watched presser. MB looked so tired and pissed:laugh: Of course, busy morning with contract negotiations and public mess with Gorges, helluva day at office.

Winter Eclipse

Nov 28, 2013
New York, NY
Galchenyuk will be the second line centre we need to play behind Desharnais :)

That doesn't make sense. Our 2nd line Center needs to have exceptional defensive abilities, since his primary role will be to shutdown opposing offensive units.

While Galchenyuk's offensive skills would be beneficial in the secondary role we assign to our #2C (mop up duty during the last :30 - :40 seconds of the PP) his defensive skill set is nowhere near good enough to fill the role of a #2C

:sarcasm:

Nynja*

So you're saying Galchenyuk's basically already hit his plateau at 20? Despite the fact most people in his draft year haven't made the NHL, Galchenyuk has practically plateaued and will only get about 10 points more per year? :help:

its a ******** troll assessment, where you have a low chance of being right, and if you're wrong you just keep trolling saying "He's over achieving" and if you're right you go "LOL I WAS RIGHT ALL ALONG YOURE SUCH SCRUBS LRN 2 ROOKIE, HE SUCKS"

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
its a ******** troll assessment, where you have a low chance of being right, and if you're wrong you just keep trolling saying "He's over achieving" and if you're right you go "LOL I WAS RIGHT ALL ALONG YOURE SUCH SCRUBS LRN 2 ROOKIE, HE SUCKS"

Doesn't that apply to everyone's arguments?

Anyway, saying Galchenyuk has reached his plateau is quite absurd. He's going through a phase where, given his success already, people will ironically underrate him until he does end up:

a) filling into his adult body
b) playing the minutes of a top C

He's a gem and I still do hold out Kopitar-esque level expectations for him by time he's 23. (compared to when Kopi was 23). Obviously they aren't carbon copy. Chucky can already do things with the puck Kopitar can't.

It's all about patience. And by the way, I still feel the same about Eller, even though I think he was our best forward in the playoffs. Big, strong, skilled and played shutdown really well. If he's allowed to play offensively, he too will shine. I don't buy that he's levelled out either. Give him ice time and you'll see a vastly different player.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00