Post-Game Talk: Bergevin Press Conference at 3:30

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Bergie I like what you did but what's the plan for centre? DD is like a booger hanging out of this team's nose, it's embarrassing.

It's been explained to you before. It makes no sense to invest in a top line center when Galchenyuk might be a year away from it. Eller-Gal-Plek-DD, I would be surprised if we signed another top 2 center.

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
It's been explained to you before. It makes no sense to invest in a top line center when Galchenyuk might be a year away from it. Eller-Gal-Plek-DD, I would be surprised if we signed another top 2 center.

There is only hope, not evidence that Galchenyuk can be a #1 centre. If he does develop it will be certainly a long time coming.

There, it's been explained to you.

Joe Lamb

Mar 12, 2004
downeast
I think so too. There are also Beaulieu & Tinordi whose ELC's are up next summer (although these two are of less significance when talking about cap hit). The only UFAs next summer are Malhotra and Weaver and that only frees up about 2.5M in cap space. MB is going to have to get creative.

And it is projected that the cap will increase again - by how much ?????

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Feels weird

Getting all these players to play their ACTUAL positions, im sure bergevin was like **** this were balancing the team for REAL this summer, not have left d's play right and right wingers playing left

How can you not like getting a RW for briere to play top 6, a 4th line center maybe the best we've ever had, getting some overneeded right D, shifting emelin back to L, giving tinordi or bealieu a permanent spot, and having 1 spot in the top 9 up for grabs for our prospect pool to make an exciting preseason race

Bergevin did all this in 2 days

next up : the most lucrative contract in montreal canadiens history,the back up goalie debacle, trading one of bourque and moen

much easier tasks, take a vacay bergy

Last edited:

Patccmoi

Aug 11, 2010
When's the last time we had 6 Ds playing on their side? I don't remember when's the last time that happened, seems so long ago.

HomaridII

May 23, 2006
Montreal, Canada
Feels weird

Getting all these players to play their ACTUAL positions, im sure bergevin was like **** this were balancing the team for REAL this summer, not have left d's play right and right wingers playing left

How can you not like getting a RW for briere to play top 6, a 4th line center maybe the best we've ever had, getting some overneeded right D, shifting emelin back to L, giving tinordi or bealieu a permanent spot, and having 1 spot in the top 9 up for grabs for our prospect pool to make an exciting preseason race

Bergevin did all this in 2 days

next up : the most lucrative contract in montreal canadiens history and the back up goalie debacle, trading one of bourque and moen

much easier tasks, take a vacay bergy

The man does need a vacation, for sure.

Subban's contract soon though, don;t give me a heart attack and let it go until September, lol.

I would trade Moen, not bourque, never bourque. The man is money in the playoff for US.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
There is only hope, not evidence that Galchenyuk can be a #1 centre. If he does develop it will be certainly a long time coming.

There, it's been explained to you.

He was drafted to become a #1 center. If he doesn't reach that status, it'll be a disappointment.
A long time coming? Not really. He's entering his 3rd season with a career average scoring ratio of .5ppg. If you look at #1 centers of the NHL, they usually come into their own by years 3-4. So seeing him raise his points total over the next two seasons is a fair assumption.
Of course this is assuming we actually use him as a center. He will not become a #1 center by playing wing on the 3rd or 2nd line.
So no point in really looking for a center if we intend for Galchenyuk to become what we drafted him to be.

samsquanch9*

im getting scared with galchenyuk. hes my favourite habs player and i have his jersey in my closet right now, so dont say im just hating. i just dont think hes really progressed since he was 18.. maybe its because we havent had a centre like this in my lifetime but i dont know when he'll finally take the next step. im obviously getting too far ahead of myself but i expected him to be good sooner

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
im getting scared with galchenyuk. hes my favourite habs player and i have his jersey in my closet right now, so dont say im just hating. i just dont think hes really progressed since he was 18.. maybe its because we havent had a centre like this in my lifetime but i dont know when he'll finally take the next step. im obviously getting too far ahead of myself but i expected him to be good sooner
I wouldn't worry so much. He's been used versus tougher opponents this year and kept up his production. That's progress.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Bergie I like what you did but what's the plan for centre? DD is like a booger hanging out of this team's nose, it's embarrassing.

I wouldn't mind an experiment:

Eller to replace DD on his line at center.

DD moved to the left wing on the second line.

Chucky becomes center of the third line. (just so he get used to being at that position)

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

You are forgetting about how young Chucky really is.
He could have easily spent the past two years at C in Steeltown.
We were able to give him Big League exposure and also expose him to some serious professional Defensive Center Positioning with Plecks. Consider this to be his rookie year...

smarties 1

Mar 4, 2014
On Galchenyuk, M.B repeats and repeats that the player will make the decision for them...

1 1/8 season in Junior to the NHL ... lost a year in rehab with his knee, give him time... let him show is talent ... don't give him a spot, let him earn it.. the tools, the character, the love of the game, he has it..

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I wouldn't mind an experiment:

Eller to replace DD on his line at center.

DD moved to the left wing on the second line.

Chucky becomes center of the third line. (just so he get used to being at that position)

Reverse engineering from our Cup winning team to current roster...
I don't have a DD anywhere at some point.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013

Sorry, but are you blind? The production might not be there but the on ice play is clearly a step up his first season. If you can't see how top end his skill is than you'll be in for a surprise when he really breaks out.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
MB at the end of the season was asked about Galchenyuk's possibility at centre. He replied "We drafted him as a centre."

That says it all.

firewagon77*

Bergevi needs to make 1 more trade he needs to get 1 more glue guy like ...Carbonneau,Keane,Muller type someone like Brouwer or Ladd both players he was with in Chicago proven winners...trade Bourque,Nygren,and Fucale to get one of these players.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site

I also love him and have the jersey but I think people are expecting too much, he will be a good player but he may not be superstar everyone expect.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Galchenyuk came in cold into the thick of the ECF and was our best player.. We will see a new Chucky this season

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
People worrying about Galchenyuk are going to be surprised like people who were pegging Pacioretty as a 3rd liner in 09-10. It's going to be dramatic.

Be patient, people.

Hullois

Suck it Trebek
Aug 26, 2010
Hull, Qc

?? He was pretty close to if not our best forward for the last two games vs ny.

SAKS AVENUE

Oct 12, 2008
I wouldn't worry so much. He's been used versus tougher opponents this year and kept up his production. That's progress.

There were moments in the ECF that weren't talked about, even hard to point out now after the fact. Subtle little slick moves and confidence that made you think oh ****...... here he comes.

I don't know how good he will be, but he will pass most of our expectations. There is something very special about him.

One thing I worry about though was what I heard on Team 690 at some point during the season. Momesso was commenting about Markov really stepping into a leadership position and was yelling at Galchenyuk at practice telling him he needs to be more serious, and work harder if he wants to get better. I've forgotten the details, maybe someone can chime in that remembers better.

It wasn't anything serious, but just hoping Galch doesn't get too comfortable where he is, needs to keep wanting to be the best, that drive is rare when the talent is a given sometimes.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
People worrying about Galchenyuk are going to be surprised like people who were pegging Pacioretty as a 3rd liner in 09-10. It's going to be dramatic.

Be patient, people.

yeah for sure. It's scary how much room he has to improve. How many players made the jump right from junior (sort of) after so little time in junior and played this well?

I was hoping he'd produce a bit more this season and was a bit worried when he cooled off in the middle of the season, but considering his increased responsibilities and how awesome he was in those few playoff games, I'm mighty pleased.

I'm sure he'll be elite, it's more a question of how elite.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Sweden vs Germany
    Sweden vs Germany
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $325.00