Post-Game Talk: Bergevin Press Conference at 3:30

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
agreed.

I wouldn't mind Markov-PK. My only problem with that is I'd like to reduce Markov's minutes.

I think 18min at ES is about right for Markov, which is what he got last year. I would eliminate all his PK time though which cuts his overall ice time by 2:30, bringing it down to 22min. I think that's perfect for Markov.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
I think 18min at ES is about right for Markov, which is what he got last year. I would eliminate all his PK time though which cuts his overall ice time by 2:30, bringing it down to 22min. I think that's perfect for Markov.

I like it.

PricePkPatch*

MB has shown that he can spot the passengers on the ice. Hopefully his keen eye extends to the coaching staff. MB has certainly limited MT's options for dressing veterans based on favoritism compared to last year.

:nod:

Veeeeery good point!! MB might have decided to twist the current leadership core to prevent MT to fall into a dangerous contentment.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003

Who are your pairings on PK? Without Markov, that's pretty thin....

Darth Joker

Dec 12, 2009
Canada
Beaulieu and Tinordi have each played over 100 games at the AHL level. They're first round picks now 3 or 4 years removed from their draft year. They've both played a little bit at the NHL level, to at least get a decent taste of it.

If you believe in them at all, it's time to make spots for them on the NHL roster. Now, ideally, they are insulated on your bottom pairing until/unless they become ready for more, but there's not much point in them playing more in Hamilton.

There might be a bit more growing pains for one or both of them, but as long as they are insulated, it should be manageable.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Beaulieu and Tinordi have each played over 100 games at the AHL level. They're first round picks now 3 or 4 years removed from their draft year. They've both played a little bit at the NHL level, to at least get a decent taste of it.

If you believe in them at all, it's time to make spots for them on the NHL roster. Now, ideally, they are insulated on your bottom pairing until/unless they become ready for more, but there's not much point in them playing more in Hamilton.

There might be a bit more growing pains for one or both of them, but as long as they are insulated, it should be manageable.

Obviously.

But I was ridiculed for suggesting it was a possibility. Prepare for harsh words from HF boards pundits.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Who are your pairings on PK? Without Markov, that's pretty thin....

Emelin-PK-Weaver get the heavy minutes on PK. You can alternate Gilbert-Markov-Beaulieu/Tinordi. If you need to put Markov on it, so be it, cut his icetime elsewhere.

Darth Joker

Dec 12, 2009
Canada
Obviously.

But I was ridiculed for suggesting it was a possibility. Prepare for harsh words from HF boards pundits.

Subban - Markov
Gilbert - Emelin
Weaver - Beaulieu/Tinordi

PP - Subban - Markov
Gilbert - Beaulieu/Emelin

PK - Subban - Emelin
Weaver - Tinordi/Markov

It's not world-beating, but it's pretty solid. The top pairing should be great. The 2nd pairing is a bit iffy, but I think Gilbert and Emelin would compliment each other well. Weaver is an excellent bottom pairing guy, and having Beaulieu/Tinordi compete for playing time (in the same way Bouillon/Murray did this past year) will keep them hungry and honest.

Gilbert isn't as good defensively as Gorges, but he's better offensively. I like Beaulieu/Tinordi more than Bouillon/Murray. On the whole, I'm content with this defense.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Makes a lot of sense to not have spent to the Cap. Most important thing is to be able to sign your own guys, and next year we have guys like Gallagher and Galchenyuk becoming RFAs. There were several teams that were jammed hard by the Cap and are now worse than last year.

MB now has a few million extra beyond what it should take to sign Eller and PK. This is also money that can be used at the trade deadline to nab an UFA if needed.

I also think that MB has the view that for core pieces you usually have to draft and
develop them or get them in a trade.

Pretty interesting day. Pretty good day I think. Some tough calls by MB. Agree with others that MB has it to not be sentimental and comfortable like his coach, and is forcing MT to go in a certain direction.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Subban - Markov
Gilbert - Emelin
Weaver - Beaulieu/Tinordi

PP - Subban - Markov
Gilbert - Beaulieu/Emelin

PK - Subban - Emelin
Weaver - Tinordi/Markov

It's not world-beating, but it's pretty solid. The top pairing should be great. The 2nd pairing is a bit iffy, but I think Gilbert and Emelin would compliment each other well. Weaver is an excellent bottom pairing guy, and having Beaulieu/Tinordi compete for playing time (in the same way Bouillon/Murray did this past year) will keep them hungry and honest.

Gilbert isn't as good defensively as Gorges, but he's better offensively. I like Beaulieu/Tinordi more than Bouillon/Murray. On the whole, I'm content with this defense.

I will readily admit that I don't know much about Gilbert, but I'm going to go ahead and bet that his offensive skills likely turn him into a better contributor than whatever he's lacking defensively compared to Gorges. Josh brought nada in puck moving/offense skills. So anything Gilbert can do offensively is already something Gorges couldn't do.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
Man to think out of all the players we got in the 2009 shopping spree (Gomez,Cammy,Gionta,Gill,Spacek,Mara,Moen) only Moen remains. :laugh:

Agnostic

11 Stanley Cups
Jun 24, 2007
Bergie I like what you did but what's the plan for centre? DD is like a booger hanging out of this team's nose, it's embarrassing.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Thank you.

Next year might be a headache with Galchenyuk and Gallagher contracts.

I think so too. There are also Beaulieu & Tinordi whose ELC's are up next summer (although these two are of less significance when talking about cap hit). The only UFAs next summer are Malhotra and Weaver and that only frees up about 2.5M in cap space. MB is going to have to get creative.

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
I think so too. There are also Beaulieu & Tinordi whose ELC's are up next summer (although these two are of less significance when talking about cap hit). The only UFAs next summer are Malhotra and Weaver and that only frees up about 2.5M in cap space. MB is going to have to get creative.

Actually I think we are in decent shape. Budaj is also UFA.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Bergie I like what you did but what's the plan for centre? DD is like a booger hanging out of this team's nose, it's embarrassing.

Best laid plans of mice and men.
This was all cleanup to me.
Many of us have been complaining about the lack of balance on the roster.
I never expected our path to glory to go through UFA.
Dumping Briere and Georges was a start. The replacement pieces though "off the board" are more than respectable. i see more of a group decision making influence on these moves and have to think MB et al are still trying to line up the big one via trade. I'm not sure we are a better TEAM than what we ended with but we are certainly a more balanced club. I'm still concerned we don't have our top 4D and we still hurt Big Time up the middle. Plecky next in a package deal? :naughty:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad