Bergevin crashes into Autumn (Part 7): Out of Time Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
The real value to the Habs will be if/when Weber retires before his contract term is up and holding up Nashville for ransom on the recapture.

Luongo just retired without any concern for Vancouver. The player doesn't need anyone's permission to just walk away. Also seems like Lu wasn't willing to play along with any jiggery pokery on the injury option.

Reactions: Runner77

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
If Weber stays with the Habs (Bergevin has 2 years left remember... hopefully lol) where he retires at 36 or 37, that Preds situation where they are on the hook for $24M of cap recapture penalties should be interesting
They'll end up circumventing that somehow. Most teams bend the rules so much when it comes to the cap that it'll probably never happen like that.

He'll end up being put on LTIR somewhere like Arizona and get paid to stay home. It's gross, but teams like the Leafs and Blackhawks have always done stuff like this so I see it being no different this time.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
They'll end up circumventing that somehow. Most teams bend the rules so much when it comes to the cap that it'll probably never happen like that.

He'll end up being put on LTIR somewhere like Arizona and get paid to stay home. It's gross, but teams like the Leafs and Blackhawks have always done stuff like this so I see it being no different this time.

Put yourself in the shoes of the teams who played by the rules or listened to Bettman when he gave warnings? Do you think they vote in favor of helping the Preds out? I doubt that but maybe they adjust it cause the Preds were forced by the Flyers aggressive offer sheet?

Weber owes nothing to the Preds and remember, they traded him as their captain. Does he seem like the type to hold a grudge? Who knows. But faking an injury and hiding that cap hit on LTIR has insurance issues and they will investigate like they did with Hossa.

The other factor is it's similar to the Luongo situation more than the Hossa or Zetterberg situation. Weber and Luongo were traded during their contracts while they were still playing so why would the current team they would be playing with take that risk of potential investigation? What's the incentive for them to take that risk?

Canucks have a cap recapture penalty of $3M for 3 years. If Weber retires after his age 37 season, Preds get $8M for 3 years. Why didn't the Canucks and Luongo help out the Canucks? Cause they didn't care and there was no incentive for them to care about it.

Last edited:

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
My prediction before the season started, this is the year both Claude and Marc get fired. I still stand by this prediction.

When Bergevin took over, he had a #1 and a #2 D, and a top 5 goalie. He had an ok top 6, all he needed to do was to find a #1C.

Now he's still searching for a #1C, and badly needs a #1D. 6 years later, not a single step forward he took.

Montreal Impact FC

.:| Champ's City |:.
Jun 7, 2012
Montreal
My prediction before the season started, this is the year both Claude and Marc get fired. I still stand by this prediction.

When Bergevin took over, he had a #1 and a #2 D, and a top 5 goalie. He had an ok top 6, all he needed to do was to find a #1C.

Now he's still searching for a #1C, and badly needs a #1D. 6 years later, not a single step forward he took.

MB and Molson will tell you we are going in the right direction. sure.. whem your caught in a vortex lol... it feels like your going in a direction but your just spinning until destruction happens lol.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Boy does he look like an idiot with those Weber comments on how that was his best trade. Could have easily said Domi or Petry trade instead...

Let's hope he actually does something instead of going to the gym and going after other shitty teams junk players.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Id prefer he concentrate on going to the gym and nothing else.
I wouldn't. Might as well trade away guys like Tatar, Byron, Weber, Petry instead of waiting for their value to go down. I'm 100% sure we can replace those guys with junk to keep Julien happy and not accidentally give Kotkaniemi proper ice time.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
I wouldn't. Might as well trade away guys like Tatar, Byron, Weber, Petry instead of waiting for their value to go down. I'm 100% sure we can replace those guys with junk to keep Julien happy and not accidentally give Kotkaniemi proper ice time.
Resigning byron was such a bad mistake. He had great value

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Put yourself in the shoes of the teams who played by the rules or listened to Bettman when he gave warnings? Do you think they vote in favor of helping the Preds out? I doubt that but maybe they adjust it cause the Preds were forced by the Flyers aggressive offer sheet?

Weber owes nothing to the Preds and remember, they traded him as their captain. Does he seem like the type to hold a grudge? Who knows. But faking an injury and hiding that cap hit on LTIR has insurance issues and they will investigate like they did with Hossa.

The other factor is it's similar to the Luongo situation more than the Hossa or Zetterberg situation. Weber and Luongo were traded during their contracts while they were still playing so why would the current team they would be playing with take that risk of potential investigation? What's the incentive for them to take that risk?

Canucks have a cap recapture penalty of $3M for 3 years. If Weber retires after his age 37 season, Preds get $8M for 3 years. Why didn't the Canucks and Luongo help out the Canucks? Cause they didn't care and there was no incentive for them to care about it.

Under the table handshakes...happens all the time.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
He’s worse than Houle for me. No player has openly quit on the Habs nor does he have pressure from owners to cut costs.

He's not worse than Houle... come on man. I know Bergevin's popularity is not high but he's done both good and bad. With Houle, it was all bad. Tell me one good move Houle made?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Somebody has to reassure me here....tell me we aren't really interested in Vlasic....please....

Why are you asking? Is there a rumor? Vlasic's contract is worse than Weber's!

Only way I would take Vlasic is they take Alzner and we add something. However, at this point in time, we should not make patch work moves for the short term. Long game should be our plan and we have plenty of LD options in our prospect pool where Vlasic would be a problem for us when he is 34/35 and is signed till 38!

Reactions: DXStriker

DXStriker

Nov 15, 2016
Why are you asking? Is there a rumor? Vlasic's contract is worse than Weber's!

Only way I would take Vlasic is they take Alzner and we add something. However, at this point in time, we should not make patch work moves for the short term. Long game should be our plan and we have plenty of LD options in our prospect pool where Vlasic would be a problem for us when he is 34/35 and is signed till 38!

Someone from Sportsnet was reporting that MTL was scouting SJ for LD . Someone else said there is a certain one from this area.

He does have a NMC I do believe and has said in the past he would not want to play in MTL if I remember right.

Unless Alzner goes the other way then this would put us in a real mess Capwise in a year and I am do not think Vlassic is worth it

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
He's not worse than Houle... come on man. I know Bergevin's popularity is not high but he's done both good and bad. With Houle, it was all bad. Tell me one good move Houle made?
Well if we miss the POs, he will have had the worst 5 year stretch in the 100+ history of the Habs. So ya...I could see the argument made as to why he is worse than Houle.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Well if we miss the POs, he will have had the worst 5 year stretch in the 100+ history of the Habs. So ya...I could see the argument made as to why he is worse than Houle.

The evaluation runs deeper than that and usually beyond their tenure due to ripple effects.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad