Dreger: Bergevin and Botterill in trade discussions?

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Dreger looks at trade possibilities for Canadiens

“Pierre LeBrun and I did a segment on SportsCentre yesterday where we talked about the possibilities, and we know that Bergevin and Jason Botterill of the Buffalo Sabres are in trade discussions for Ryan O’Reilly. You can assume that Buffalo is shooting for the moon and asking for the third pick overall, which is too steep a price for me – but I can appreciate why Botterill would ask for it.

“But when i look at the collection of second-round picks, that’s where it gets interesting. I can tell you there are people around Dallas who think that Max Pacioretty is likely going to be traded. I don’t know that to be true. We’ve speculated on the future of Max Pacioretty for how long now – a couple, three seasons. But is there a way to package a collection of picks, maybe an asset beyond Pacioretty, that closes that deal on Ryan O’Reilly. “Because when I look at the potential of available centers – veteran players, players that can step up into your lineup under contract – I don’t see it. There aren’t that many. And I wouldn’t call Ryan O’Reilly a No. 1 center in the National Hockey League, but he’s at least a No. 2 and in Montreal he could be a No. 1.” The Canadiens have four second-round picks (35, 38, 56, 62) this weekend, which could certainly become prime trade assets.

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
Interesting LeBrun specifically said O’Reilly isn’t a #1 C (in his opinion). Saying that he would be on Montreal is a no brainer of course, there’s #3 C’s in the league that would play on first line for Montreal.

Jan 21, 2018
Interesting LeBrun specifically said O’Reilly isn’t a #1 C (in his opinion). Saying that he would be on Montreal is a no brainer of course, there’s #3 C’s in the league that would play on first line for Montreal.

He probably read all those annoying posts from sabres homers and decided to make it abundantly clear that he's not a #1C and he's not worth 3rd overall.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
This will be an amazing race to see who f***s this trade up lol. Is it possible for a lose/lose scenario?

Last edited:
Reactions: Peanut and McTusk

Bazeek

Registered Lurker
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2011
Exiled in Madison
I could definitely see Buffalo going for Pacioretty. It even makes some sense for them to extend him. But I'll be flabbergasted if they give up O'Reilly for him.

TMLeafs18

Aug 7, 2015
Canada
If the 3rd overall isn’t involved Montreal is going to lose something solid off the roster whether it’s

Buf - Ryan O’Rielly

Mtl - Pacioretty, Poehling, Mtls 2nd rd pick 2018

This would be solid value for both teams in my mind. I’m sure Gallagher makes more sense for Buffalo due to his age but I’m not sure Montreal would go for it.

The Burdened

May 1, 2017
Pacioretty + 2 2nd's would get it done.

Although if I'm Montreal IDK if I give that much for a guy who has said he hast lost his passion for the game.

Reactions: jayhabsvgk

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I could definitely see Buffalo going for Pacioretty. It even makes some sense for them to extend him. But I'll be flabbergasted if they give up O'Reilly for him.
How so? I've read that if the Sabres move ROR it's because he wont fit their long term core. Pacioretty is older. Moving ROR and bringing in Max doesn't make much sense

BB88

Jan 19, 2015

Eichel/Dahlin/Mitt on their RFA contracts, 13M+ tied to Okposo+Pac post prime, that's an easy way to run your team into trouble.

Reactions: geniusgoalie

CaptPantalones

Oct 8, 2006
Buffalo, NY
If the 3rd overall isn’t involved Montreal is going to lose something solid off the roster whether it’s

Buf - Ryan O’Rielly

Mtl - Pacioretty, Poehling, Mtls 2nd rd pick 2018

This would be solid value for both teams in my mind. I’m sure Gallagher makes more sense for Buffalo due to his age but I’m not sure Montreal would go for it.

Add another of their 2nds and i could live with that return.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Botterill will be a complete clown if he sells ROR for Paciorrety, why he so clung to him and how it will help Buffalo. Then it is better to trade ROR to another team or keep in Buffalo.

normaliswear

Oct 22, 2006
Pacioretty should not be any part of a ROR deal. The Sabres best players are 21, 19, and about to be 18. Young players like Mete, Poehling, Scherbak, Juulsen and picks in some combo would be the basis of a trade.

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad