Post-Game Talk: Bergeron wins Game 3, 2-1 in 2OT, B's up 3-0 in ECF

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Rather than get fired up about Pens fans' sense of entitlement and the fact they seem incapable of giving their opponent any credit for their team's failings, let's just revel in it.

They lost that game last night because they couldn't beat Rask, and their supposed best defensive defenseman didn't negate Bergy's stick. Orpik does his job there and the game goes on. Period.

Don't anybody get upset that the Bruins aren't getting their due. The Bruins are up 3-0. Everything else is meaningless.

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta
Rather than get fired up about Pens fans' sense of entitlement and the fact they seem incapable of giving their opponent any credit for their team's failings, let's just revel in it.

They lost that game last night because they couldn't beat Rask, and their supposed best defensive defenseman didn't negate Bergy's stick. Orpik does his job there and the game goes on. Period.

Don't anybody get upset that the Bruins aren't getting their due. The Bruins are up 3-0. Everything else is meaningless.

I was surprised that Orpik was even in the game after Lucic tagged him in the corner.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009

Pretty sure Orpik thought he was handing out candy canes in Munchkinland at that point. The look on his face after the Lucic hit was scary.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006

It's par for the course.

Same as in 2011. The only stories the media are capable of writing are that:
a) they gooned their way to everything and the refs let them get away with it
b) Thomas single-handedly won the Cup.

The real story is that it's a very talented team where everything buys into the system and plays all three zones, every shift.

Over the volcano

Mar 10, 2006
Watertown
945979_10151646231324936_1888169268_n.jpg

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore
Best comment from that quote about the Jagr hook:

"Malkin has too much learned behaviour, like so many other NHLers, when you feel a stick on you, you act a certain way, to draw a penalty maybe. Malking is big, and very strong, we have seen, when he wants to, ignore guys basically hanging off him to make a great play. Jagr is reaching there, lifting with his stick, he has no leverage, there is no way he shifts Malkin's mass unless Malkin let's him. Yes, he may slow him a bit, but Malkin if Malkin exerts any downward pressure on his stick, the puck doesn't get taken away. There is no way Jagr can lift his stick from that far back reaching with his stick. Malkin was embellishing and the Pens lost because of it. Case closed."

Spot on, IMO. And not just because I'm a Bruins fan.

Mione134

Queen in the North
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2010
Hogwarts-617
tumblr_md3au9dGMr1rkb1fbo1_500.gif

Bobby Orr preachin the good word

This is team is playing unbelievable hockey. And people are going to say, ‘Well, Pittsburgh’s not playing very well.’ Well, the Bruins aren’t letting them play. They’re all over them, they’re not giving them any room. And when they get those chances, Tuukka’s coming up huge for that team. It’s a team effort.”

Sidney Crosby has been criticized for his lack of production in this series, but Orr said the focus instead should be on how well the Bruins are playing to shut down all the Penguins’ stars.

I don’t agree with that at all, about him being overrated and this guy not doing da-da-da-da,” Orr said. “Let’s look at what the Bruins are doing. they’re not giving them one inch. You want to play tough? The Bruins are there. Finesse? Every player that’s supposed to — whatever the players’ strength is, that player is playing to his full strength. It’s wonderful to watch. And they’re defense, wow. Defensively they’re very, very strong.”

On Soupy:

What that kid did last night — I mean, they’re reporting he may have a broken leg. He obviously he was in pain, and he hung in there,” Orr said. “That’s the team. That’s the team right there. That’s what they are right now. We saw what they’re made of. This team has a ton of character. A ton of character.

“What he did was incredible. Certainly it gave the team a great lift. Certainly the fans appreciated what Gregory did”

Everybody on that Bruin team, top to bottom, they’re doing what they are supposed to do to win,” he said. “I watched the other [series] and I can’t see anybody beating them. I think they’re better now than they were in ’11, I really do. The way they’re playing right now, I think they’re a better team than they were in ’11.

Let’s not go too quickly here; let’s get this one over with and let’s see who they’re going to play. But looking at if they get to the finals, and they should, Chicago, LA, I can’t see why they can’t win it. Not at all.”

Asked about a comment from Ray Bourque a couple of years ago that Zdeno Chara is a better defensive defenseman than Orr and Bourque were, Orr agreed, adding that Chara is “playing the best hockey I’ve ever seen him play.”

No question. No question,” Orr said. “I mean, that reach? Those two games [in Pittsburgh] … he was awesome. That reach, he plays against all the big guys. He’s a much better defensive defenseman than I was.”

http://bigbadblog.weei.com/sports/boston/hockey/bruins/2013/06/06/bobby-orr-on-dc-bruins-a-better-team-than-they-were-in-11/

^if you guys want to read more.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006

"Malkin has too much learned behaviour, like so many other NHLers, when you feel a stick on you, you act a certain way, to draw a penalty maybe. Malking is big, and very strong, we have seen, when he wants to, ignore guys basically hanging off him to make a great play. Jagr is reaching there, lifting with his stick, he has no leverage, there is no way he shifts Malkin's mass unless Malkin let's him. Yes, he may slow him a bit, but Malkin if Malkin exerts any downward pressure on his stick, the puck doesn't get taken away. There is no way Jagr can lift his stick from that far back reaching with his stick. Malkin was embellishing and the Pens lost because of it. Case closed."

That is soooooooo true. Amazing comment.

It's like he's thinking of trying to draw a penalty, which is so poetic because that kind of hockey almost ruined the Bruins in the regular season.

In the regular season everyone was diving and trying to draw penalties. The Bruins were playing hard.

N o o d l e s

Jul 17, 2010
South Shore

jdz

May 22, 2013
Hence why I avoid all hockey sites and facebook for the day, then watch the game uninterrupted and ad free in HD in the evening.

Only way to go. Streaming's for chumps.

Wouldn't be able to do that. I need to see it live or at least know the score, otherwise I'm the edgiest person ever for the entire day.

BCeagle

May 22, 2008
Game 4

I think the B's will play the same way Friday, play conservative and pounce on mistakes to score. Get the puck on net and anything can happen as Krejci has been doing.

I expect a low scoring game again and the B's will do everything to avoid a flight to Pittsburgh.

If they can score first again that will put Pitt on their heels from the start and play that catch up mentality. Mistakes have really burned the Penguins this series. Our D has outplayed their D by far.

DoubleAAAA

Jun 5, 2009
I think the B's will play the same way Friday, play conservative and pounce on mistakes to score. Get the puck on net and anything can happen as Krejci has been doing.

I expect a low scoring game again and the B's will do everything to avoid a flight to Pittsburgh.

If they can score first again that will put Pitt on their heels from the start and play that catch up mentality. Mistakes have really burned the Penguins this series. Our D has outplayed their D by far.

I kind of expect Vokoun to implode ... just a gut feeling.

Stu Pidassle

Feb 7, 2013
Boston North Shore
3 pts in 3games leading to big goals for Jagr.

Iginla? nothing yet

Now you have gone too far. It is not fair that Iggy plays for the inferior team and gets no support. You act as if he was able to pick and choose who he plays for!

We are so lucky as Boston fans. Not only have our teams had good success recently, the Pats, Celts and B's all focus on playing as a team and not a collection of super stars.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

So this means the obvious hook was not a hook?

Jagr got away with it. Clearly it was worth the risk in OT.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad