Confirmed with Link: Bergeron - Signs 8yrs/52mill

Crymson

Fire Holland
May 23, 2010
This is a pretty good contract, all told.

Every veteran star center pretty much has concussion history.

Don't worry, be happy!

Plus, there's LTIR (god forbid we ever need to address it).

Zetterberg and Datsyuk don't have concussion history.

MarchandNoseBest

Oct 30, 2008
With the cap increasing, how much more would Bergeron get four years from now?
It could definitely be a major steal then, but I'm guessing it was more about Bergeron wanting the security of max term for his family than the Bruins trying to get a steal. Guessing the Bruins would've preferred a 4 year type deal to limit risk with a guy like Bergeron's concussion history, but that's not realistic when guys like Clarkson and Horton (who also has a major concussion history) get max term and are not nearly as good as Bergeron.

I don't think battling over the years is worth risking alienating Bergeron and losing him to FA in a year.

Bi Coastal Bawse*

My first jersey is going to be a Bergy just waiting to get it till the fall.

:yo:

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
This is awesome. 6.5 per cap hit is low for a player of Bergeron's caliber thanks Patrice for taking a little less to sign with us!

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus
It could definitely be a major steal then, but I'm guessing it was more about Bergeron wanting the security of max term for his family than the Bruins trying to get a steal. Guessing the Bruins would've preferred a 4 year type deal to limit risk with a guy like Bergeron's concussion history, but that's not realistic when guys like Clarkson and Horton (who also has a major concussion history) get max term and are not nearly as good as Bergeron.

I don't think battling over the years is worth risking alienating Bergeron and losing him to FA in a year.

I don't think Chiarelli hesitated at giving Bergeron the max term. Andy Brickley made a good point yesterday about how the Bruins have contructed this team: strength at goalie, defense, center, and it's no coincidence that the foundation players at those three positions have the longest contracts on the team.

bostonphoenix

Jan 13, 2011
Me thinks I`ll just trust Chia and his troops....too much worry/concern over things we have absolutely no control over, and for what is, in the grand scheme of things both a game, and not our money

Why not just be happy that we aren`t watching a parade of players in contract squabbles or having to listen to them walk and after it`s said it was over a half million???

You "appear" to be a young fan, you may not recall a day not so long ago where the above was the norm

You're right. As short as the previous lockout Boston would not sign players for big money. Ownership must have realized going on a long run each year is better for profits than being a middling team.

BUT

Lets be honest. No deal Chia has done in the past 2/3 seasons has been at great value. Not a one. Every single deal has been an overpayment.

With that said 6.5 is slightly higher and I simply do not like 8 year deals to begin with. But you know that Bergeron will retire a bruin and theres value in that.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I'm not saying I agree with his statement or not, but I can only assume you would be saying the same thing to those that question Rask's contract, right?

I like Tuukka and 7 million doesn't bother me. IMO 8 years is too long for a net minder...ANY net minder.

MarchandNoseBest

Oct 30, 2008
I don't think Chiarelli hesitated at giving Bergeron the max term. Andy Brickley made a good point yesterday about how the Bruins have contructed this team: strength at goalie, defense, center, and it's no coincidence that the foundation players at those three positions have the longest contracts on the team.
I don't think he hesitated either, because I think he knows it's unrealistic/low balling him to only offer 4 years when the top FA's get max term.

That said, I would fully expect that the Bruins would prefer a 4 year deal to an 8 year deal for a guy with Bergeron's concussion history. Far less risky. But like I said, just don't think that was realistic so Chia wasn't going to mess around, low ball him on the years, make him play out year w/o an extension and risk him hitting FA while potentially pissing him off by not offering him the type of deal he'd get on open market.

And it's a losing battle to try and tell Bergeron he doesn't deserve max term because you know somebody else would've given it to him in the off-season. And done so at more than $6.5M per too.

qc

Aug 23, 2011
How can people be troubled by this? Look at Clarkson and Horty's new deals.. Based on the market, and the fact that Bergy is better than both of those 2 combined, I can't help but feel exuberant.

EastCoastNiner

Nov 21, 2008
I like Tuukka and 7 million doesn't bother me. IMO 8 years is too long for a net minder...ANY net minder.

I understand your view, but disagree as the Bruins really had no other options.

I also understand why the other poster said this was too long of a contract. Yes, lots of players have had concussions, but once you start getting into your third and fourth concussions, the risk of a final major concussion is far greater than someone who hasn't had one before.

Sure, anyone could suffer a career ending injury due to just one hit. However, that's not the concern many have. The concern is that one "minor" hit that may not affect someone with no concussion history may affect Bergeron a lot more.

I don't really have an issue with this deal, but I do understand why people question the length. And, just like in the case of Rask, there's really no other option the Bruins had.

MarchandNoseBest

Oct 30, 2008
You're right. As short as the previous lockout Boston would not sign players for big money. Ownership must have realized going on a long run each year is better for profits than being a middling team.

BUT

Lets be honest. No deal Chia has done in the past 2/3 seasons has been at great value. Not a one. Every single deal has been an overpayment.

With that said 6.5 is slightly higher and I simply do not like 8 year deals to begin with. But you know that Bergeron will retire a bruin and theres value in that.
If every single deal is an overpayment, how the hell are we winning a Cup and making Cup Finals in 2 of the last 3 years? That makes no sense...it's not like there's no cap like in baseball.

You are just underrating our players or you just don't get how much players get paid these days league wide. It's one or the other because it's impossible for a team to be as successful as the Bruins have been in a cap league with every single player/deal getting overpaid.

Flannelman

Quiet, Gnashgab.
Dec 3, 2006
oh, for ****s sake, every player is potentially one concussion away from retiring.

You might as well not sign any players or have any hockey. :sarcasm:

Artemis

Took the red pill
Dec 8, 2010
Mount Olympus

BUT

Disagree. Seidenberg at $3.25M is not an overpayment. Neither is Chara at $6.9M, nor, for that matter, is Bergeron, neither his previous deal, nor this one.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
There are exceptions, but I stand by point.

Not even concussions, pretty much every star has some type of chronic injury. Datsyuk has missed a lot of time in the past few seasons. Concussions seem to be the flavor of the century, though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad