Post-Game Talk: Bent But Not Broken | Leafs Win 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
He’s a hero playing in front of that defense without blowing his stack on them. Farthest thing from a anchor.
We have had a bad defense for years. He's been able to perform well individually anyway. That has completely cratered this year. Meanwhile, our defensive stats all the way from shots against down to granular things like golden road passing has been better than last year. All levels of individual stats are bad to abysmal for him.

I don't want to pile on after he had an excellent game, but it's been easy to see his struggles on the ice as well. He hasn't tracked the puck, his rebound control has been weak, he's had trouble with his stances, and his movement has been frantic. I have a friend who is a goalie coach here in Sweden, and he's absolutely shredded Andersen this season. And he's normally a big fan, uses clips of him as examples for the kids.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
Does anyone know this rule?

At about 17:30 of the third Kerfoot was offside entering the zone and knew it so he held up, barely touched the puck and tipped it in. If Tampa who recovered the puck had gone down and scored, could the Leafs ask for an offside review?

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
Team played great, outplayed a legit elite team. Freddy was outstanding again, hope he keeps this up. Overall an excellent game!

Nice to see Rielly already looking prettygood in good first game back. The D in general played pretty well, other than Barrie who got exposed a number of times defensively.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Pretty amazing. Took 4 penalties, and gave up no high danger chances. PK was excellent as it has been for the most part under Keefe.

Reactions: unitedstars87

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Pretty amazing. Took 4 penalties, and gave up no high danger chances. PK was excellent as it has been for the most part under Keefe.
One thing that's almost as impressive as the Leafs at limiting high danger chances on the PK, is that they're also #2 in the league under Keefe in generating high danger chances. Having shorthanded threats like Kappy, Hyman, Engvall, and Marner who can still create offense even down a man is pretty great

ICBM

Apr 8, 2009
Lose to a Zamboni driver, beat Pittsburgh, Tampa Vancouver, lose to 3 bottom 5 teams, beat Tampa./QUOTE]

Leafs are bad at creating penetration. Bottom 5 teams play vs them with more defensive approach. Tighter games. Good teams play more open game. Lack of grinding ability is a serious problem. On par with leaky defense. Speed is all Leafs got, no plan b.

Spargon

May 31, 2019
Lose to a Zamboni driver, beat Pittsburgh, Tampa Vancouver, lose to 3 bottom 5 teams, beat Tampa.

Because of course that's what happens because Leafs

This line needs to die, it was a cute narrative for the haters and dumb media but to use a old HF meme "lets be reality". Leaf were losing 4-1 when David Ayres went in and were playing like shit. He let in 2 quick goals to let it become 4-3 and at all close. Credit to the canes for locking it down in defense of the emergency guy. The guy made 8 saves and almost let the Leafs back into the game. People act like the Leafs were winning and the heroic "Zamboni driver" stood tall and the Canes heroically rallied back to beat us.

Say Ayres was trash and let in 8 goals and the Leafs won 8-4 we would be endlessly mocked for beating up on the poor zamboni driver. As Dubas said from a media narrative it was a no win situation.

Joey Hoser

Jan 8, 2008
Guelph
This line needs to die, it was a cute narrative for the haters and dumb media but to use a old HF meme "lets be reality". Leaf were losing 4-1 when David Ayres went in and were playing like shit. He let in 2 quick goals to let it become 4-3 and at all close. Credit to the canes for locking it down in defense of the emergency guy. The guy made 8 saves and almost let the Leafs back into the game. People act like the Leafs were winning and the heroic "Zamboni driver" stood tall and the Canes heroically rallied back to beat us.

Say Ayres was trash and let in 8 goals and the Leafs won 8-4 we would be endlessly mocked for beating up on the poor zamboni driver. As Dubas said from a media narrative it was a no win situation.

Does anyone even remember which team lost to the guy in Chicago? I'm guessing not.

Reactions: draeko17

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Was at this game!!!! First and only this year.

After a bunch of beers I'm still pissed not one reaction at freddy getting ran at the 1130 mark. Was watching the bench nobody even reacted after the replay was shown. Its insane to me that all the aggression is gone from this group of guys.

It was sickening. Honestly. I don't understand why they don't ever stand up for eachother.

Lose to a Zamboni driver, beat Pittsburgh, Tampa Vancouver, lose to 3 bottom 5 teams, beat Tampa.

Because of course that's what happens because Leafs

The sign of an immature team - they rise to the occasion, but have trouble being motivated for "nothing" games.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Solid win against a good team. Rielly's return was noticeable on the back end, and Freddy is looking like the Freddy we know.

Still a Jekyl and Hyde team but getting healthy and having Freddy in form will help these last dozen games.

Dermott was really good to but yeah, Freddy in fine form is by far the most important thing!

Not happy that there was no pushback from the contact with Freddy though.

Not happy times 100 for me. I'll be blunt - as long as this team doesn't stand up for each other, and especially for their goaltender they aren't going anywhere in the playoffs. And to those people saying but you can't take a retaliation penalty, I have two things to say:

1)
You don't have to take a penalty, you need to do something though even if it's just getting in the guys face. Let them know you're watching and taking names and you get payback when nobody's looking. And when the guy is sitting on top of your goalie in the crease, you can at least grab his sweater and try to pull him off, hard to see anyone getting a penalty for that.

2)
Most importantly - guys have been running Andersen for years. There have been plenty of situations when we could have retaliated, not a big game, not a situation when we can't afford a penalty etc. and still, we did nothing. This makes it impossible to believe that if only we could have afforded to take a retaliation penalty, we would have been all over the guy. Much more likely that this is just who we are - a bunch of wusses.

Was at this game!!!! First and only this year.

After a bunch of beers I'm still pissed not one reaction at freddy getting ran at the 1130 mark. Was watching the bench nobody even reacted after the replay was shown. Its insane to me that all the aggression is gone from this group of guys.

Andersen got abused twice and we did dick. Guy's by far the most important player on our team, was playing like a hero and we hung him out to dry. The goalie is like the QB in football - protecting him is job 1. Props to Andersen for staying on his game anyway but if leave him to fend for himself, don't expect him to play at a high level over an entire playoff series.

Cliff notes:
Mixed feelings. Happy to win obviously but embarrassed at our lack of togetherness.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
Before tonight's game.

Leafs win% with

Rielly/Babcock 23 games .486

Rielly/Keefe 23 games .696

No Rielly/Keefe 23 games .516

Add tonight's game and the Leafs are over .700 when Reilly has played under Keefe
We've never had our true top 6 play a full game together yet. They all dressed in the game where Muzzin broke his foot, but if they can all get back and gel before playoffs, we could be as tough an out as anybody.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
With no Stamkos and no Hedman yes. The Leafs went 7 twice with Boston, nothing mystical there, they didn't get rolled on. There is no real advantage to meeting a particular opponent except sometimes someone who shouldn't knocks off the much better club. Freddy don't suck, lets not get hurt, and let our $40M top four forwards earn their paychecks. I can remember some of the streaks of monster games that Matthews had last year between injuries and Marner when he was rolling hard. They can do this, they actually might be that good. I am more concerned about making the first round than winning it. They're due.

why do people caveat leafs wins with “they were missing Stamkos and Hedman!” But when the Leafs were missing Tavares, Marner, Rielly and Muzzin it’s an indictment on the construction of the roster?

DcW

Feb 27, 2018
Good win. I like (and hate) what Tampa did at the deadline. Goodrow and Coleman are the type of players the Leafs should be looking at to fill out their bottom 6. Tampa has a bite to them they haven't had before. I'd like to see TO follow with similar type players

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad