Post-Game Talk: Bent But Not Broken | Leafs Win 2-1

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlpLessInMuskoka18

Aug 13, 2018
If you want Willy to be in the running for rocket next year you'll need setup guys like JT and our prospect LW robertson or soupy maybe if he heals properly. Matthews/hyman won't get him there any time soon.

The Willy/JT combo is perfect for each other.

Reactions: Menzinger

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
You are probably right. There have been plenty of times I've cut myself and for the first 10 seconds I'm convinced I'll look down and see a severed finger, but it ends up being a paper cut.

IIRC nobody touched the puck however. I seem to remember it bouncing back to the corner and Matthews initially made a move for it but then realized the guy was down and looked more concerned for him than the puck (Aww, good guy Matthews).

:laugh:

Oh yes, you're right. well since no one had possession thats fine with me.

If matthews was about to unload a wrist shot on an open net, then i might be a little upset lol.

Reactions: Zizzzzy

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
They really don't need them. As far as 'not sticking up' for their teammates, it's been better since getting Clifford. The Killorn incident though I'm glad no one did anything, because if they did I guarantee you a roughing penalty would have been called against them. 2-1 in the 3rd when you desperately need the points is exactly the time you let that stuff go.
Don't agree, 100% something should have been done and it didn't need to result in a penalty.
You don't need to start swinging but you need to react.

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Don't agree, 100% something should have been done and it didn't need to result in a penalty.
You don't need to start swinging but you need to react.
We usually agree but the refs were letting everything go for Bolts. The next penalty was going to our Leafs. I HATE game management reffing but I could see it and feel it in rink. JT got punched in the head - nothing. Killorn jumped on Freddy - nothing. and the refs saw both things very clearly. All our Leafs had to do was 1 very small indiscretion and we were going to the box. Killorn will get what's owing him. Keefe is very old school trust me. He says the right things in the press but the next chance we get Killorn will get his due.

Reactions: Eric bungay

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
We usually agree but the refs were letting everything go for Bolts. The next penalty was going to our Leafs. I HATE game management reffing but I could see it and feel it in rink. JT got punched in the head - nothing. Killorn jumped on Freddy - nothing. and the refs saw both things very clearly. All our Leafs had to do was 1 very small indiscretion and we were going to the box. Killorn will get what's owing him. Keefe is very old school trust me. He says the right things in the press but the next chance we get Killorn will get his due.
Not looking for a fight, just help the player off the goalie and speak to him. Worse case a Bolt player joins in and they both get 2.
Agreed, taking a penalty there would not have been wise .

It's ok to react, not ok to overreact.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Not sure how ridiculous the take you're quoting is, but there's 2 recent winners (Holtby, Crawford) as slated UFAs with a bunch of other 1A/B type options having better years than Andy (Lehner, Greiss, Khudobin). There's also some trade possibilities with a guy like Gorgiev, Jarry/Murray, etc..

I wouldn't be desperate to dump Freddy, but he's not a must keep either IMO

I'm not saying he's a must keep, just pointing out that he's not exactly chopped liver either. Of course he's had a bad year but that doesn't erase what he's done the last few years for us. And most importantly, the season ain't over yet. It wouldn't surprise me one bit if he excelled from here on in and we won at least one round with him being our MVP.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Not looking for a fight, just help the player off the goalie and speak to him. Worse case a Bolt player joins in and they both get 2.
Agreed, taking a penalty there would not have been wise .

It's ok to react, not ok to overreact.

And most certainly not OK to to stand around - oh look, someone's sitting in our goalie's back in his crease, hmm, isn't that interesting. What should I do, hmm, stand around and do nothing I guess.

Total disgrace and by far the most embarrassing moment of the season for me. Ever since I was about 6 years old I knew that rule number one in hockey is that you protect your goaltender, period.

And no you don't have to fight but grab the guy's sweater and pull him off for crissakes.

Disgraceful.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Wasn't sure how the Leafs would come out. They got Rielly back, but Hedman was also out for Tampa and usually they don't do well with good breaks. The swing between the first and second periods was worrisome but this is how they always seem to play, so maybe it isn't a detail to sweat if they're winning.

Andersen looks like he's coming around in a big way, and hopefully the two powerplay goals get the offense going again.

hobarth

Jul 10, 2011
TO is having scoring problems lately yet Keefe wants to go to the empty well constantly?

Kerfoot and his nearly 15 minutes per game gets elevated to the second line to supposedly stimulate both himself and that line offensively. On top of that he has been on that line on and off frequently during the season and he gets that reward because he has managed 9 goals and 19 assists for a grand total of 28 points in 65 games.

When Kerfoot isn't elevated Kappy gets called, now he has been more successful offensively this year than Kerfoot but he really hasn't taken advantage, his stats 13 goals, 23 assists for 36 points on 16 minutes TOI average per game in 69 games.

TO trades for a hot shot who also gets an immediate shot at the 2nd line. It doesn't matter that he had been used as a 4th liner on his previous team, he was frequently benched, he somehow deserved a shot at the 4th line. So far this year Malgin has managed an awe inspiring 4 goals and 8 assist for 12 points in 44 games off of an average TOI of 12 minutes.

Meanwhile TO has a player that has 9 goals and 16 assists for 25 points off of 11 minutes average TOI. This same player never gets to the 1st or 2nd line except in very special circumstances, so rarely, and this player is often benched/rested so he has only played in 58 games.

My question is why keep going to players that can't elevate their game, can't take advantage of unearned opportunities when a possible answer to some of TO's scoring isn't being given any consideration. Why not elevate Spezza, if Malgin of all players was worthy of a shot. Forest/trees anyone.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Did the Chicago goalie get credit for the win? Thought the Zamboni Driver was the 1st to do this.
Chicago was up 6-2 with only 14:01 left in the game. He stopped all seven shots, but didn't get the win because the winning goal (the third) was scored before he started.

In Ayres case, Carolina was up 3-1 when he came in, and he gave up two, which made the winning goal their fourth, which was scored when he was on the ice, so he got the win.

Reactions: ACC1224

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Scott Foster was the CHI goalie. He was not credited for the win.

Not sure why Ayres got the win. It was 4-1 when he came in and the Leafs only ended up with 3, he played less than 30 minutes. I suppose I'm thinking in terms of a pitcher.

*edit
From NHL.com

Goaltender
A goaltender receives a win, tie or loss if he is on the ice when either the game-winning or game-tying goal is scored.

Ayres was not on the ice when CAR scored the 4th goal, was he?
Yes he was. 3-1 when he came in. Carolina made it 4-1 while he was playing, so since the fourth goal was the winner, he got the W.

Reactions: egd27

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto

that's all it is anymore.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
that's all it is anymore.
So do I. It is getting worse as time is going on I believe. The more teams in playoff hunt the better the revenues. We have completely forgotten about the rule book and REAL penalties. It is only REAL penalties for each team based on refs managing da game to keep it close.

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON
Quick interjection - on the off chance that the season actually resumes in a month or two (very small likelihood I would think), assuming they jump straight to playoffs based on point percentage, this win will have been the difference between making it and not making it.

Reactions: WildWolfdog

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Quick interjection - on the off chance that the season actually resumes in a month or two (very small likelihood I would think), assuming they jump straight to playoffs based on point percentage, this win will have been the difference between making it and not making it.
I think if that were to happen they would add a few more playoff Teams for this season to make it fair to those Teams that just missed.

mallory67

Jul 2, 2015
North Carolina
False ;). 4 th most win in the league. Right up tere for fewest losses. Don’t blame him for everything you seen and put inconsistency tag on him. Stats say different in a very large sample size of years

Nice try. He plays behind one of the best offenses in the league ... so let's stick to goalie stats and not team stats:

He is #39 in save percentage.
#31 if you only look at goalies who have played at least 20 games ..

He is #40 in GAA
#34 if you only look at goalies who have played at least 20 games ..

And he is truly remarkable in some games when he shows up.
Which make his crappy games all that much crappier to bring down his stats.

And dont forget:
He is 0-3 in Game 7's
He crapped the bed last year in Game 7 in Boston

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
Nice try. He plays behind one of the best offenses in the league ... so let's stick to goalie stats and not team stats:

He is #40 in GAA

And dont forget:
He is 0-3 in Game 7's
Go climb back up on your pedestal of perfection and enjoy your day. Season done you don’t have to watch him anymore

56 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007

He is #40 in GAA

And dont forget:
He is 0-3 in Game 7's
:clap::clap::clap::clap:

mallory67

Jul 2, 2015
North Carolina
Go climb back up on your pedestal of perfection and enjoy your day. Season done you don’t have to watch him anymore

I don't think expecting my goalie to be in the top 30 goalies in Save Percentage or GAA is a "pedestal of perfection".
You ok with his ranking?
You understand his ass is saved because we score a ton?

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
I don't think expecting my goalie to be in the top 30 goalies in Save Percentage or GAA is a "pedestal of perfection".
You ok with his ranking?
You understand his ass is saved because we score a ton?
He was there last three years, I’m not going to sweat it this year thsts for sure. Moan away if you want

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad