Sportsnet: Bennett has asked for a trade [ Part II ]

Ledge And Dairy

Calgary needs an elite #1 centre (which Bennett isn't going to get), a true top 6 RS RW (which Calgary would probably need to add to acquire) or prospects/picks. They don't need LW's, middle/bottom 6 centres or cap dumps. If they had room for a middle 6 centre they would just play Bennett as the 3rd line centre and everyone would be happy.

I'm not sure Mantha is better than Dube or Mangiapane other than him being a RS. Calgary can't afford to be paying a 2-3 line RW 5.7M until 2023-24. Mantha is a good player but not a great fit that is worth giving up one of our best prospects.

"But you get to dump Lucic"
Lucic is overpaid but is playing well, Helm is garbage. Lucic is having a clear influence on our young players giving them confidence, if you watch the games you'll see the effect he's had on Andersson and Dube for sure. Also, since Lucic joined the team no one is taking liberties with our players anymore, no 21 slashes to Gaudreau's wrists in 1 game. He may not fight a lot but he is the nuclear deterrant.

That's why Flames fans (at least me) aren't crazy about this trade.

Edit: Oops, wrong Bennett thread.
FYI Mantha is a left handed shot

Reactions: Larry Hanson

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Would Calgary fans accept Compher + 1st for Bennett + 2nd + 4th?

Avs would move down ~15-20 picks and get a mid-round pick as a sweetener, kinda reminiscent to how Tampa moved down a round in the Goodrow trade. This "+" by Colorado would also be enough to compensate for the difference in capspace.

Calgary meanwhile would get a 3rd liner and a 1st round pick back for Bennett, which would be a good return and enough to appease a fanbase that still views him as a 4th overall pick.

If he is not working out with Johnny and Monahan by the TDL, I could see something like this.

Reactions: Richard88

Pucknut22

Jan 25, 2021
Did Bennett or Ferris actually say trade request? From what I've seen Ferris said a change of scenery, considering Bennett's strong showing in the playoffs, he felt he deserved a chance higher up the lineup. The media right away said it was a trade request but Bennett denied to comment, which was the right thing to do. Has anyone on the Flames or Ferris come out to say it was a trade request?

Leivo and Simon are both new to the team this year and they both got a chance with Gaudreau and Monahan to start the season. I don't blame Bennett for wanting to get more minutes and a more important role on the team, he is fighting to show what he is worth on the last year of his contract. Now that he is getting a chance with Gaudreau and Monahan, it serves as a change of scenery and if he plays well I don't think he's going anywhere in a hurry unless its an overpayment.

If things aren't working out with Bennett and the Flames by the trade deadline, Treliving will have to decide whether to move him then and lose someone else in the expansion or if they will hold on to him for (hopefully) another strong playoff performance and he will be setup to go to Seattle in the expansion.

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
Well, the movie is being played, enjoy it . The fact is the Flames is not giving him away.

If Bennett does well in the next few months, he will be qualified or picked by Seattle.

If he doesn't, no big loss....

If you want him, pay.... that's all

And yes the Flames is in the driver seat, the only way they lose him in the off-season is if they don't want him.
Hahaha driver seat.... of what vehicle.
A disgruntled underperforming player on a non playoff team.
Yes, the flames hold all the cards lol.

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
Bennett is not and never has been a dressing room issue, no idea what you are talking about
You don’t know what I am talking about?
Have you ever played on a team before?
When a player demands to leave a team, it isn’t well received by teammates, no matter how hard people try to spin it otherwise.
And if it is well received, than the team has much deeper issues.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Hahaha driver seat.... of what vehicle.
A disgruntled underperforming player on a non playoff team.
Yes, the flames hold all the cards lol.

They have won as many playoff rounds in the last 10 years as your beloved leafs. Let's not go there.

Yes, they control what to do with Bennett.

Ledge And Dairy

When a player demands to leave a team, it isn’t well received by teammates, no matter how hard people try to spin it otherwise.
But he didn't demand to leave the team, are you even paying attention?

Reactions: DFF

DFF

Feb 28, 2002

Lol you have no idea what's in the Flames dressing room

Pucknut22

Jan 25, 2021

Please find any mention of a trade demand by either him, Flames organization or his agent? Ferris has said change of scenery, that could mean as little as change of lines, which happened. Flames have denied any mention of a trade demand.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Hahaha come on man.
The guy gets his agent to demand a trade but we are going to pretend it’s a lie?
Ok
He didn't but even if he did, it's kinda like the guy that sat until they paid him and came back looking like shit. They haven't won a playoff since that fiasco....you know him well.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Derek Wills, the Flames radio guy, said today he thinks the Sam Bennett scenario has ‘quieted down’

For now Bennett and the Flames are happy with how he has looked with Gaudreau and Monahan. Bennett even said last night in an intermission interview that he was building chemistry with Monahan and Gaudreau.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Derek Wills, the Flames radio guy, said today he thinks the Sam Bennett scenario has ‘quieted down’

For now Bennett and the Flames are happy with how he has looked with Gaudreau and Monahan. Bennett even said last night in an intermission interview that he was building chemistry with Monahan and Gaudreau.
After 6 years does anyone really think they're actually trying to get Bennett to build "chemistry" with Gaudreau and Monahan?

No, this is all about putting Bennett in the shop window and make him more tradeable, just as Bieksa alluded to.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
After 6 years does anyone really think they're actually trying to get Bennett to build "chemistry" with Gaudreau and Monahan?

No, this is all about putting Bennett in the shop window and make him more tradeable, just as Bieksa alluded to.

What is wrong with that either way?

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
What is wrong with that either way?
There's nothing "wrong" with it per se. What I'm getting at though is that things probably haven't "quieted down" but rather there's seemingly a commitment from both the team and Bennett himself to put him in a position where he can make himself more tradeable.

Ainsy01

Jun 12, 2014
Burke was the president of hockey ops in Calgary when they drafted Sam Bennett, maybe he acquires him, has a good relationship with Treliving etc.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Ice time last 5 seasons in chronological order: 15:09, 14:59, 14:24, 13:17, 12:31.

I would demand a trade as well.

points totals last 5 seasons in chronological order: 36, 26, 26, 27, 12
and he is demanding the trade? ...really?

if he wasnt drafted 4th, nobody would care about him at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad