Sportsnet: Bennett has asked for a trade [ Part II ]

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
It’s a absurd comment no doubt but it does go both ways in these threads
Overpayment or they trash the player in order to try and convince to take a junk offer from them. All crazy cause none of us are actually making any real life trades
Trade comments are always so weird and get into the "My dad could beat up your dad" level of arguments. Just taking a denial of a trade request personal for no reason.

You have the people coming in offering their useless trash for a semi-useful player and when it gets turned down they do the weird negging and say "the player sucks anyways who would want him."
Then there's the reverse of that situation where someone offers up the trash for a semi-useful player and just throw it up to 60 "X for trash isn't good, I'd only trade him for your top player". Fits in with other overexaggerations like "Domi/Anderson for Gaudreau" being the only thing that makes sense from the other teams perspective. It's just all nonsense

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
A lot of teams are still in contention. Once the field of playoff contenders thins out and more teams fall out of contention, there will be more alternatives as trade partners.

His value might be at its best now. But enjoy the sandbox.

Well, his value is at its highest at the TDL based on his playoffs history

Reactions: CF84

BananaCat11

Jun 30, 2019
Laurentians
Really puts the team in a bad spot this year with all the covid mess when players ask for trades . Basically if they trade him, they won't get a player in return for like 2 weeks until he clears quarantine. So it's a big loss. Bigger then usual. This must be taken into account. It's very bad time for certain teams to be trading. Strange times indeed.

Reactions: tmurfin and Ainsy01

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
Not sure why this continues. He got promoted to 1st line and doing well. They need him. No trade unless massive overpayment and someone that would upgrade their top 6. Basically no trade is coming. Haters can rest in peace.
Maybe this is the pump before the dump.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
What do you think that value is?
I don't know but I can tell you it's not a 3rd or 4th rounder.

BT paid that much for worse players at the TDL. Bennett has a good playoff track record and he is not a UFA. He is a decent buy for a playoff run.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Maybe this is the pump before the dump.
Maybe but it's not really a pump if he is effective? It's more of a showcase.

But again if it works, I don't know why they want to trade him or why he wants to leave.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
What I got out of the original reporting was that Darren Ferris went to Treliving and said "Sam EITHER wants a bigger role OR to be traded to a team that will give him that bigger role." Since that was made public Bennett has been placed with Gaudreau and Monahan where he has looked effective.

Playing with Gaudreau and Monahan is a much "bigger role" than before like he wanted. So as long as Bennett remains effective there, I think this keeps him happy and Calgary will not look to trade him.
Ferris went to Treliving? Are you sure? I thought he only made his demand through the media?

Reactions: CF84

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018

But again if it works, I don't know why they want to trade him or why he wants to leave.

You might be able to get a 2nd but i don't think a 3rd is anything outrageous.

I think the more realistic scenario is that you get a swap of players who need a change if scenery. And then depending on who the other player is and contracts, there might be a 3rd or 4th (or possibly a 5th) involved.

Keep in mind, most teams are up against the cap.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012

I’m not one to advocate for teams to cave to RFAs so I wouldn’t trade him because he told me to. But the Flames might not agree with me.

I don’t see how you can go from being so staunch in your opinion that the player feels the need to take it public and he gets held out of the line up to the team doing a sudden complete about face AND the player trusting it. I doubt Sam made a hasty decision to go to the press and the team obviously felt strong about their feelings. A pump and dump just seems more likely to me.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
I’m not one to advocate for teams to cave to RFAs so I wouldn’t trade him because he told me to. But the Flames might not agree with me.

I don’t see how you can go from being so staunch in your opinion that the player feels the need to take it public and he gets held out of the line up to the team doing a sudden complete about face AND the player trusting it. I doubt Sam made a hasty decision to go to the press and the team obviously felt strong about their feelings. A pump and dump just seems more likely to me.

Ok they are pumping him...so what?

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
You might be able to get a 2nd but i don't think a 3rd is anything outrageous.

I think the more realistic scenario is that you get a swap of players who need a change if scenery. And then depending on who the other player is and contracts, there might be a 3rd or 4th (or possibly a 5th) involved.

Keep in mind, most teams are up against the cap.

The problem is that there's very few change of scenery swaps that add anything to the Flames. Basically the only holes on the Flames are a #1 centre and a more consistent version of Sam Bennett for the top 6. Anything else subtracts from what Bennett does bring, which is physical play and big playoff performances.

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
The problem is that there's very few change of scenery swaps that add anything to the Flames. Basically the only holes on the Flames are a #1 centre and a more consistent version of Sam Bennett for the top 6. Anything else subtracts from what Bennett does bring, which is physical play and big playoff performances.

You expect a top 6 player for Sam Bennett? :laugh: You might be able to get someone like Sam Bennett, who has talent but for whatever reason has been underperforming. The similar player you get back might take that next step after being traded.

If a team has a surplus of forwards who are performing well, wouldn't you agree that they'd want something more back?

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
You expect a top 6 player for Sam Bennett? :laugh:

No. My point was that there aren't any trades that make sense, as no one is likely to fill the holes Calgary does have, and Bennett provides more than the players likely to come back.

You need to spend less time on your emoji game and more time reading posts.

Reactions: DFF

John Mandalorian

Nov 29, 2018
No. My point was that there aren't any trades that make sense, as no one is likely to fill the holes Calgary does have, and Bennett provides more than the players likely to come back.

You need to spend less time on your emoji game and more time reading posts.

See my edit.

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
Not sure why this continues. He got promoted to 1st line and doing well. They need him. No trade unless massive overpayment and someone that would upgrade their top 6. Basically no trade is coming. Haters can rest in peace.
I don’t buy that for a second.
He has not panned out in Calgary.
He does not want to be in Calgary.
His qualifying number will be prohibitive for his production.
He will be gone from Calgary before next season starts one way or another.... and it won’t be for some massive overpayment (fanbases love to say that).
It will either be for a modest return during the season or for nothing at all in the offseason.

Ledge And Dairy

He will be gone from Calgary before next season starts one way or another.... and it won’t be for some massive overpayment (fanbases love to say that).
It will either be for a modest return during the season or for nothing at all in the offseason.
He will be qualified, if hes still on Calgary in the offseason it will be Seattle

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I'm fine with Seattle picking him. We get more from him in a playoff than what it sounds like you think he's worth. NHL GMs are generally smarter than posters here though and see circumstances. Josh Anderson had 1 goal and 4 points last year. He returned a 60 point player and a 3rd round pick. Blake Coleman returned two 1st round picks. Bennett won't go for that much, but it will be a hell of a lot more than a 3rd or 4th like you seem to think.

axlrose87

Jul 13, 2018
I'm fine with Seattle picking him. We get more from him in a playoff than what it sounds like you think he's worth. NHL GMs are generally smarter than posters here though and see circumstances. Josh Anderson had 1 goal and 4 points last year. He returned a 60 point player and a 3rd round pick. Blake Coleman returned two 1st round picks. Bennett won't go for that much, but it will be a hell of a lot more than a 3rd or 4th like you seem to think.
Seattle may want s0meone else.
Nobody is knocking down doors to acquire 20 point players.
And let’s not get silly here. Josh Anderson and San Bennett are not comparable

Bond

May 10, 2012
Bennett's last chance to make money is to prove he can hang with Monahan and Gaudreau and get some points.

If he does jack all with them then he will be gone for a change of scenery trade.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002

Well, the movie is being played, enjoy it . The fact is the Flames is not giving him away.

If Bennett does well in the next few months, he will be qualified or picked by Seattle.

If he doesn't, no big loss....

If you want him, pay.... that's all

And yes the Flames is in the driver seat, the only way they lose him in the off-season is if they don't want him.

Last edited:

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
Calgary needs an elite #1 centre (which Bennett isn't going to get), a true top 6 RS RW (which Calgary would probably need to add to acquire) or prospects/picks. They don't need LW's, middle/bottom 6 centres or cap dumps. If they had room for a middle 6 centre they would just play Bennett as the 3rd line centre and everyone would be happy.

I'm not sure Mantha is much better than Dube or Mangiapane. Calgary can't afford to be paying a 2-3 line RW 5.7M until 2023-24. Mantha is a good player but not a great fit that is worth giving up one of our best prospects.

"But you get to dump Lucic"
Lucic is overpaid but is playing well, Helm is garbage. Lucic is having a clear influence on our young players giving them confidence, if you watch the games you'll see the effect he's had on Andersson and Dube for sure. Also, since Lucic joined the team no one is taking liberties with our players anymore, no 21 slashes to Gaudreau's wrists in 1 game. He may not fight a lot but he is the nuclear deterrant.

That's why Flames fans (at least me) aren't crazy about this trade.

Edit: Oops, wrong Bennett thread.
Edit 2: Not sure why I thought Mantha was a RS.

Last edited:

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Would Calgary fans accept Compher + 1st for Bennett + 2nd + 4th?

Avs would move down ~15-20 picks and get a mid-round pick as a sweetener, kinda reminiscent to how Tampa moved down a round in the Goodrow trade. This "+" by Colorado would also be enough to compensate for the difference in capspace.

Calgary meanwhile would get a 3rd liner and a 1st round pick back for Bennett, which would be a good return and enough to appease a fanbase that still views him as a 4th overall pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad