BENCH Pavelec Thread!

wpgJetsfan

Dec 24, 2010
I first want to start off saying that this post is not meant to troll.

I'm getting sick and tired of the Jets coaching staff playing Pavelec who has let in 3 goals per game and can't come up with a big save when it counts.

If you look at his numbers this year his save % is at about .901 and yet Montoya plays one game and earns a shutdown. Needless to say that it was New Jersey but if you wanted he hardly gave up any rebounds whereas Pavelec does it all the time.

When will they sit Pavelec and put in Montoya for a few games?
Will Pavelec's post game comments blaming the team do it?

There are those who say Montoya is no star goalie, but in his games with the Jets in 2 years he has been solid. Why not give him a chance and see how far we can go with us. I'm willing to bet that he would surprise a lot of people.

PLEASE BENCH PAVELEC! He needs to be held accountable.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
I wouldn't say bench him entirely, but at least show him that there's competition for his spot. Alternate games or at least see what Montoya has to offer. It's pretty silly the way the goalie situation is being handled.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
The way we use our goalies makes little sense. Pav starts the back to back (with predictable results in the 2nd game), then Montoya plays against the Devils 2 nights later. Noel needs to manage this better...Pavelec needs to win some games for us, as we all know the team in front of him isn't very good.:sarcasm:

thereturn

Jul 10, 2011
Winnipeg
We have back to backs this weekend, so I believe we were always going to see Monty for one of those. While I do think Al should have had a couple more starts than he has had already (the Mtl game, and the previous Nash game would have been my choices), it's not crazy to have expected Pavs to play the game tonight, and the 2nd of the back to backs in Colorado this weekend.

I would be shocked if Monty doesn't get the start in Dallas.

Sixty Minute Man

Apr 13, 2013
Winnipeg, Mb
I've always been a firm believer that the Coach should schedule what games the goalies play for the entire season. That way both goalies know who is playing which games ahead of time. That way an off night impacts there confidence less,especially if they don't play the next game. Of course they should always play the backup in back to backs. Better backups would play more games. Of course injuries can creep in and cause a deviation from the plan, but over all I don't think that would create too huge of an impact.

In Montoya's case i'd like to see him play at least 25 games, but at regular intervals to rest Pavelec. While I agree he has earned a shot, I have this feeling that if he played more we'd be upset with his overall play too.

bazaaa*

Montoya is the next big thing. Book it. Career backup, but you could tell in that game against the amazing offense of New Jersey this is going to a break out year for him.

thereturn

Jul 10, 2011
Winnipeg
In Montoya's case i'd like to see him play at least 25 games, but at regular intervals to rest Pavelec. While I agree he has earned a shot, I have this feeling that if he played more we'd be upset with his overall play too.

Sort of like how everyone always prefers the Bombers' backup QB over the starter de jour... until he actually steps on the field. :laugh:

White Out 403*

Admit it. When you clicked on this thread you were shocked I didn't start it.

ihadtochangethename

Sep 1, 2012
USA
I wouldn't say bench him entirely, but at least show him that there's competition for his spot. Alternate games or at least see what Montoya has to offer. It's pretty silly the way the goalie situation is being handled.

have you ever seen noel create 'competition'? This is a serious question as i cant recall. I honestly think the man doesn't know how. Pavs will be in net until his knees give out.

peter sullivan

Winnipeg
Apr 9, 2010
i dont think anyone is saying that Montoya is the saviour of the team...or that Pavalec is the biggest problem....but he is not as strong as he could be and when the team is struggling he needs to steal games for us....Noel juggles the lines every second shift, i dont understand why it seems to be completely out of the question to shuffle the goaltending around a bit as well....why not try something different...it might even spark the rest of the team....he's tried everything else...I'd give Montoya three games in a row, just to see what happens.

I dont think Montoya is much of a step down...which is not praise to him, but a comment on Pavalec.

He likely wouldnt do any worse, and it would send a message to everyone....far more than juggling the lines incessantly....maybe it would shock the team.

allan5oh

Has prospect fever
Oct 15, 2011
There needs to be a change here. He even said it last year, his game needs to improve. He's never been an above average tender. I thought overall the team played well tonight. He can't possibly expect to let in 3+ goals a game and have a good record. He's only had one game where he let in less than 3 this year, 2 against Minnesota.

If he continues like this we need to do something. Start Montoya more, trade for a starter, buy Pavelec out in summer, etc..

White Out 403*

According to NHL.com

the Jets are 18th in shots allowed per game on average. in a 30 team league that makes us... mediocre to average. Keeping in mind were .02 from being dead middle.

Jets are 3rd in the league for shots registered.

Jets are 19th in the league for goals scored.

Pavelec is 43th overall in save %. 43. In a 30 team league.

Who could possibly solve this riddle of what the problem on this team lies. Or shall I say, to avoid a meaningless argument, the teams biggest problem.

Strangely enough these #s are almost perfectly in line with last years #s

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
I would like to see more Al. Has nothing to do with tonight though. This game wasn't on Pav, but it would be nice to see him steal a game here or there.

Related Edit:

Would have liked Anton Khudobin more than Al.

Last edited:

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I think giving Montoya a few starts in a row would at least take away the "why not start Monty" ammo ;) the team has structural problems in their own end that would leave Monty high and dry as well.

Regardless of where I stand on Pavelec's role in the recent woes, benching him sends the message to the players that it's not their fault. And it is their fault just as much as Pavelec's.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Isn't this every thread?

Pretty much.

For the record, here's my take on him, and because this is the Pavelec thread, I feel OK talking about it (as I've already talked about it numerous times in the past):

1. His stats are not good.
2. He makes some exceptional saves - very athletic.
3. Positionally, he's poor
4. He is not "efficient" in his movements
5. Terrible puck handling skills
6. Has a tendency to give up big rebounds, and causes a lot of the scrambles in his crease
7. He tends not to get down on himself, which is good

Here's the unfortunate part for me: 3, 4, 5 and 6 are correctable, 2 is not teachable. I truly wish that we either had a change of pace in goaltender coaches, or that Pavs would work on these things with his current coach.

That said: if he makes a nice save, I say so. If he lets in an ugly one, I say so. If the goal was the fault of another player, I say so. It's NOT all on Pavs, though he doesn't help himself. I wish there was a bit more thought given to the fault of the goal - some are on him, but not ALL are his fault. Balance.

I would personally be overjoyed if this were the thread where all Pavelec discussions could take place. Everything else gets lost in the noise. I know this isn't going to happen though, so I just don't comment on anything Pavelec related - not worth my time, effort, or ire. I know what he is, I know what I wish he could be - there's both good and bad, and the bad could be fixed, which is frustrating.

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Pave is what he is and that is a very mediocre goalie. Unfortunately this team isn't Chicago and can't get away with having mediocre play from their goalie. Not all the goals are on Pavelic but he tends to make morework for himself and his defense than he should. Case in point on the second goal last night he kicks what should be a routine stop hard right into the slot. Therewas no reason that shouldn't have been directed into the corner.

Mud Turtle

Jul 26, 2013
No discussion on any goalie should go goal by goal.
I like to look at his entire body of work since he's been with the franchise.
I see:
A guy who has a significantly lower save % than an average NHL goalie over the years
A guy who likely has less than average rebound control than the average and thus faces more shots.
A guy who can't handle the puck and thus creates more shots against.
A guy who doesn't play well positionally compared to an average starter.
A guy who isn't learning to improve his game.

You can't point to one goal here and one goal there. They all let in bad goals occasionally. We appear to have a team with at least average talent but this team will never go anywhere with a #1 goalie who is slightly below average in all those areas. It's simply impossible.

Noel is more than ready to try different line combinations, why is he so stubborn to make it a competition in goal.

And Chevy, I love the young talent you're drafting, but you really need to find someone better in goal until one of those young guys can take the reigns.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I don't think Montoya would stop a higher percentage of shots, but I'd be willing to bet Montoya's better puck handling and rebound control would result in fewer shots against...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad