Prospect Info: Ben Harpur

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
lol at everyone defending the worst player on the worst team in the NHL

Screen Shot 2019-07-25 at 1.23.44 PM.png

He's really, really bad, and even worse than his really terrible team.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Dermott was given top 3 softest minutes on the team last season. You think he would have played as well (or look as good) given a legit 1st/2nd pairing role??

Harpur was playing 2nd paring difficulty minutes (according to Zeke). How could you suggest he wouldn't look better getting softer minutes?
I still don't understand this comparison, honestly. But no, I'm not convinced Harpur can handle 3rd pairing minutes

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Sigh. If you want to chalk up how piss poor he's been in the the NHL so far on QoT/QoC, then by all means you can do that.

I believe you're going to end up being very disappointed, while the rest of us are just crossing our fingers he doesn't even touch the ice with the Leafs.
You must have a really low opinion of Management.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
You must have a really low opinion of Management.

Nah. I have a low opinion on Babcock's roster decision/lineup skills.

I believe Dubas took Harpur back in the trade because Ottawa wanted to dump a contract, and the nice things Dubas said is because he's a nice guy.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018

I believe Dubas took Harpur back in the trade because Ottawa wanted to dump a contract, and the nice things Dubas said is because he's a nice guy.

Its clear that Dubas has a large influence on the roster decisions too. Rumour has it Babcock preferred to send Holl down, and keep McElhinney.

I also think you're reaching about Dubas only saying nice things because he's a nice guy :laugh:.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002

Babcock dresses 20 players from the 23 man roster. It's up to Dubas who is on the 23 man roster.

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Its clear that Dubas has a large influence on the roster decisions too. Rumour has it Babcock preferred to send Holl down, and keep McElhinney.

I also think you're reaching about Dubas only saying nice things because he's a nice guy :laugh:.

I'm not, show me one time he's ever been rude about a bad player. He even with a straight face said Zaitsev is important to our top-4. He's gonna do what he does with the rest of the piss-poor players on this team, get rid of them. It's easy to just keep him on the roster (like Holl) and pay him a NHL salary until he's gone at the end of the year.

Babcock dresses 20 players from the 23 man roster. It's up to Dubas who is on the 23 man roster.

Right, and I'm sure he'll let him toil away in the pressbox, allowing him to practice with the team, and get a NHL paycheck. I can't see him being ok with him giving him minutes, assuming all the better options are available.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
I'm not, show me one time he's ever been rude about a bad player. He even with a straight face said Zaitsev is important to our top-4. He's gonna do what he does with the rest of the piss-poor players on this team, get rid of them. It's easy to just keep him on the roster (like Holl) and pay him a NHL salary until he's gone at the end of the year.

Right, and I'm sure he'll let him toil away in the pressbox, allowing him to practice with the team, and get a NHL paycheck. I can't see him being ok with him giving him minutes, assuming all the better options are available.
Why would he do that?
If he's left on the roster it will be because he's an option to dress.

Reactions: MyBudJT

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
Why would he do that?
If he's left on the roster it will be because he's an option to dress.

True, you're right. Babcock has no history of sitting guys in the pressbox and not playing them unless injury. *Cough* Leivo, Corrado, Holl *Cough*

He's honestly the perfect guy to just sit there. Give him a NHL paycheck, no worries about his developent, he's gone at the end of the year.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
True, you're right. Babcock has no history of sitting guys in the pressbox and not playing them unless injury. *Cough* Leivo, Corrado, Holl *Cough*

He's honestly the perfect guy to just sit there. Give him a NHL paycheck, no worries about his developent, he's gone at the end of the year.
I thought your worry was Babcock playing him?

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
lol at everyone defending the worst player on the worst team in the NHL

View attachment 246441

He's really, really bad, and even worse than his really terrible team.

Why does your sentence have to begin with "lol at"?

Why is laughing at those who you disagree with your M.O.?

Are you a sad person who wishes to win the internet?

I find the people who post charts like yours know the least about hockey, detest toughness, and are the most fickle people on hockey forums.

If he doesn't compare to Rielly or Marner analytically then is he no longer a human being? Every team has a 6th D and the 20th worst player dressed each night.

Perhaps they should only dress 5 defensemen and try to get Alexander Semin out of retirement ?

Nylander88

Aug 13, 2016
Ontario

You leave Harpur on the 23 man roster, Babs for sure uses him. If the season started tomorrow, Harpur is on the team. Harpur is a 3rd pairing guy for us this year. He's going to get a shot

Morgs

#16 #34 #44 #88 #91
Jul 12, 2015
London, ON
I'll go around one more time.
Why keep him on the roster if he doesn't want him used?

Because someone has to sit in the pressbox. His awfulness, his age, and the fact he's gone at the end of the season all play into a guy that you just bench.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Because someone has to sit in the pressbox. His awfulness, his age, and the fact he's gone at the end of the season all play into a guy that you just bench.
Like Leivo?

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
I frankly doubt that he will. I trust management.

There's certain attributes and weaknesses that teams accept when it comes to their 6th defenseman that fans never, ever will.
When the game is closing, they've pulled the goalie, and you have 12 skaters all in your own zone, I want someone who's going
to be a fortress in front of the net. The Leafs have lost a lot of playoff games when the other team realized Polak wasn't out
there and went to the net. Don't need the great mobility, don't need fantastic passing, just need tough muscle.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Why does your sentence have to begin with "lol at"?

Why is laughing at those who you disagree with your M.O.?

Are you a sad person who wishes to win the internet?

I find the people who post charts like yours know the least about hockey, detest toughness, and are the most fickle people on hockey forums.

If he doesn't compare to Rielly or Marner analytically then is he no longer a human being? Every team has a 6th D and the 20th worst player dressed each night.

Perhaps they should only dress 5 defensemen and try to get Alexander Semin out of retirement ?

Anyone who thinks this guy can play in the NHL -- particularly on a competitive team -- is expressing an opinion that's laughably bad. There are pleeeeenty of guys who are more capable than Harpur in the system.

He's definitely a human being. And, in fact, a great hockey player... outside of the NHL, and probably AHL. He'd probably be a good performer in some of the second tier European professional leagues. But top 1-2% hockey player world-wide for sure. He'd make everyone look positively silly in practically any beer league in the world. The reality of professional athletes, however, is that only the top 0.04% or 0.05% are competitive at the highest level, and he's off by a couple orders of magnitude.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Babs has stated we have a super soft defense. Like I said you can't win with a bunch of candy *ss p*ssies. When every other team takes our net like butter we had to make some serious changes.

Harpur and Ceci were probably the best we could get and work inside our CAP situation. Harpur and Dermott will be a good match. They have skills that will match well together.

Between Muzzy, Ceci and Harpur we are going to be much harder team to cycle on, to get down low on and create around our net on. There will be a big improvement in high danger scoring chances against. We may give up same shots but they will be farther from our net which will help Freddy's stats. We can't continue to be a bottom end team giving up high danger chances

Rielly and Barrie like to skate the puck up the ice which is great. Ceci and Muzzy will stay home and protect the net.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad